Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,

Mikey here, long time Art Director for Steve Vai. I'm now managing Tony MacAlpine.

I wanted to tell you guys about Tony's new album, due out June 21 on Favored Nations, and King Records for Japan, Korea and Taiwan.

The album's opening tracks "Serpens Cauda" and "Ölüdeniz" are available now for FREE download in high quality MP3 at Tony's web site: http://www.tonymacalpine.com

Legendary guitar and piano/keyboard virtuoso Tony MacAlpine's new self- titled album, to be released June 21 on Favored Nations, marks a highly-anticipated return to solo work after a prolific decade of output with his bands, including prog-metal-fusion trio PLANET X; Grammy-nominated jazz fusion outfit CAB; power metallers RING OF FIRE; as well as performing keyboard and guitar duties in Steve Vai's double platinum DVD-selling live band "The Breed" from 2001-2006.

"When I set out to write a new album, I quickly realized that my urge to once again create and define myself as a solo artist had returned with a vengeance," said MacAlpine. "This is my strongest album to date. I can't wait to hit the road and play it live."

Recorded in his home studio in Pasadena, California, "Tony MacAlpine" is the musician's 11th solo album. Featuring 12 tracks of guitar-laden progressive instrumental metal - MacAlpine performing seven- and eight-string guitar, keyboards, bass and programming, along with drum legends Virgil Donati (PLANET X, VIRGIL DONATI BAND) on tracks 1, 5, and 10; and Marco Minnemann (ADRIAN BELEW, NECROPHAGIST) on tracks 3, 4, 8 and 12. Bassist Philip Bynoe (STEVE VAI, RING OF FIRE) also appears on track 2. The album was mixed by Ulrich Wild (DEFTONES, STATIC-X, DETHKLOK) and mastered by former chief mastering engineer of A&M Studios, Dave Collins.

Tony plans to tour the album in the USA, Europe and South America later this year and 2012.

"Tony MacAlpine" track listing:

01. Serpens Cauda (4:23)
02. Ölüdeniz (5:16)
03. Fire Mountain (4:23)
04. Dream Mechanism (4:18)
05. Ten Seconds to Mercury (4:35)
06. Flowers For Monday (3:05)
07. Angel of Twilight (5:03)
08. Pyrokinesis (3:56)
09. Blue Maserati (4:41)
10. Summer Palace (4:36)
11. Salar de Uyuni (5:40)
12. The Dedication (4:22)

Enjoy!

Mikey

www.tonymacalpine.com
www.facebook.com/tonymacalpineofficial
www.twitter.com/tonymacalpine

·
Registered
563 Posts
very disappointed by the 8-strings riffs. I'm not a fan of the 7 strings already, no going to F sharp kills me. The melodies of the 2 tracks are great, but not the riffs on the back. Not sure to buy it this time (I'm missing the jazz-fusion period of Chromaticity and CAB)...

Maybe I need more time to swallow that new music

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Thanks Demon

On laptop speakers...

Not too sure I like the sound of the two songs. Sounds too "common" which makes it less interesting to me. Its too "heavy metal" in terms of tone. I'll give them more listens...

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Virgil and Marco? What, T-Mac couldn't find any GOOD drummers? :D

Good to see Tony's busy and putting out more material. Can't wait for more PX news.

I'll have to d/l those tracks after my PC stops shutting down w/out notice every few minutes.

BTW: The first CAB is killer, if you like fusion. T-Mac & Dennis Chambers are just ridiculously amazing.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Demon

On laptop speakers...

Not too sure I like the sound of the two songs. Sounds too "common" which makes it less interesting to me. Its too "heavy metal" in terms of tone. I'll give them more listens...
Not sure how you could accurately judge the sound of anything on laptop speakers... ;)

·
Banned
5,010 Posts
Not sure how you could accurately judge the sound of anything on laptop speakers... ;)
Bieber sounds good on laptop speakers.
Those speakers sound so bad that EVEN Bieber sounds better than them :)

I couldn't stand both songs.
That I need to keep playing a weird melody to people think my music is more "intellectual" thing really never got me.
Weird melodies or notes in some parts are awesome to add personality/vibe but all the time = booooooooooooooring.
I personaly know some players who think the more strange a melody is the more some people will think their musical knowledge is awesome because those people can't understand what they're playing.Weird but I heard a lot of talking about how to sound "complicated" to people think your music is "intellectual" and the worse is I heard a lot of those talkings from good guitar teachers, some you guys know but I won't tell their names because it'd be wrong, I like to say what I think on people's faces and not behind a computer.
Anyway I have 8 MacAlpine albums and I never liked any song, I mean I like some riffs, parts, melodies but never an entire song.
Judging by these 2 I can see his "intellectual" mentality is bigger.
Still an awesome player but completely out of my tastes.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
The playing is excellent, as usual. I don't mind the songs, but I can only listen to stuff like this in doses. It's heavier than I expected. Are there any solo piano pieces on it?

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The playing is excellent, as usual. I don't mind the songs, but I can only listen to stuff like this in doses. It's heavier than I expected. Are there any solo piano pieces on it?
There's a solo piano and acoustic guitar piece, and another one on the Japanese bonus track version.

Mikey

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey guys, thanks for your comments. Here's a couple of tracks for those of you who haven't checked it out yet:

"Serpens Cauda" -

"Ölüdeniz" -

1 - 16 of 16 Posts