Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't posted anything up around here in a while, and I just cut this over last weekend, so I thought I'd post a clip up.

This is a demo for a song that'll probably make it to the album I've been slowly working on for ages now. Drums are sequnced, it was recorded and mixed VERY quickly, and the solo was a one-take improv I cut on my second pass through, so obviously it's a bit hack-ish. :lol:

still, any feedback and/or criticisms are welcome - thanks for taking the time to listen! :)

Click here!

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's "about" sitting down with my acoustic and thinking, "hey, that's a cool set of changes. I wonder if I can turn them into a song?" ;)

The title, well, I'm in the middle of re-reading Thomas Pynchon's "Gravity's Rainbow," if you're familiar... There's a lot in there about zero as a metaphor, in the calculus sense - approaching zero, liminality, etc. The title seemed to fit, and I hate coming up with titles, so I ran with it, lol.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Now that was refreshingly cool.

I like that you take your time and then speed up but don't "overshred" the solo parts. Sounds like you have a very good technique and timing / intonation is very sweet.
Put some real drums and good base lines in and you have a very good song on your hands pal! You could experiment to do some dubs in the end part, to pimp it and open it up towards the end of the song.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks man! Yeah, the more I sequence drums, the more I love the convenience but hate the sound. :lol: I just grabbed a PreSonus firepod, though, and my roommate has a kit, so maybe I should start logging some practice time. ;)

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
It's "about" sitting down with my acoustic and thinking, "hey, that's a cool set of changes. I wonder if I can turn them into a song?" ;)

The title, well, I'm in the middle of re-reading Thomas Pynchon's "Gravity's Rainbow," if you're familiar... There's a lot in there about zero as a metaphor, in the calculus sense - approaching zero, liminality, etc. The title seemed to fit, and I hate coming up with titles, so I ran with it, lol.
What the song had me thinking about was meditation. If I remember correctly, there is a form of meditation where the meditator has to count down from the number ten. With every countdown he/she becomes more relaxed and then when zero is reached, a state of inner peace is achieved.

Anyway, cool song, Drew. Thanks for posting. :)

Alwin

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Isn't that "hypnosis?" :lol:

Thanks guys! Anything in particular you do or don't like? I've had a lot of comments that the bar vibrato is a little much, but personally I kind of dug it. I think I might take another crack at this without the vibrato to see what it'd sound like, but I'm not sure if it'd work so well...

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
lol Well, it sounds like hypnosis, for sure. I actually remembered wrong, though. The higher the number, the more relaxed one supposedly is. You can read the exercise here.

I really liked the vibrato. It's what made it mellow, to me.

Alwin

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Very cool Drew, although I agree the vibrato is a tad too much in the 1st half.

The tone is lovely and smooth, what gear did you use?

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting link Myst - thanks, reading now! :)

Mark, the lead is my UV7PWH, neck Blaze for the melody lines, bridge Blaze for the lead break. The thing's got an OFR7 instead of a LoPro, too, which adds a touch more brightness... It's plugged into my Rectoverb combo, Modern mode, treble at 0, mids at 3 o'clock, bass and presence at about 11, gain maybe halfway, or a hair less, and channel volume around 9 o'clock, with a THD Hot Plate at -16db in between it and the speaker, and a Bodenhamer Chaos mod TS9 out front for a slight boost. Mic's a SM57, about 2" off the speaker.

The clean is the same guitar, bridge pickup, same amp, clean channel, same mic position, on one side, and my Martin MC16GTE mic'd up about 2' back and slightly above, pointing around the 14th fret or so, with an AKG C3000B. There's a lot of "room sound" going on there, and I don't have the greatest sounding room (my bedroom, lol), but it works for the part, at least... The bass was the same settings as the clean guitar, but with the mic moved in against the speaker for a bit more proximity effect. Everything was run into a M-Audio Firewire 410, through a Presonus Bluetube DP preamp, though since then I grabbed a Presonus Firepod so I can track live drums...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts