Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Fiancee` bought me a RX240SB...It's a great guitar surprisingly...I put it on layaway at the local pawnie and she secretively paid the rest of the balance as a surprise for our anniversary, whadda Gal!! It's really not a bad guitar at all, especially for the price...The neck is smooth and the tone completely blows me away, it's made of "Agatis", which I've heard mixed opinions, but it's beautiful and holds the tone adquately to label it a good guitar...The pickups are Ibanez stock "PowerSounds", ehh rubish so I'm definitely replacing them and I already know what with...DiMarzio "Breed" Black/White in the bridge, DiMarzio "Fast Track 1" White in the middle, and DiMarzio "ProTrack" White in the neck with a push-poll pot to change from series to parallel...Neck has a either a Bubinga or Rosewood stripe...No real details from the catalogs on that...So I'm replacing the tuning machines with Black Planet Waves Auto-Trim tuning machines...The bridge with a Black Wilkinson-Gotoh VSVG, Graph Tech string trees, An extra tone pot and and Black knob...

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
dear lord...not a good call. with all the $'s you are putting into this guitar, you could just buy a way better axe...the body "wood" is actually agathis, which, as far as i can tell is a greek horse with magic powers..only kidding, its a step away from plywood...bc rich sold a bunch of axes in the 80/90's , mocks, blackbirds, bitches, etc out of agathis, you could buy a brand new one for 199.99 in 2003...
just sayin,
by the way i'm an ass, and nothing i say matters...

·
Registered
346 Posts
Lovely! I bet it sounds pretty damn good with those DiMarzios in there! And yeah agathis really isn't that good... But sh!t I say upgrade away man!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hmmm I agree with mtldad sinking a bunch of money into a crappy guitar from the start is a very bad idea. You are much better off starting out with a rg 550/570 something like that at least just my opinion and I can be an ass too.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
yeah, i wouldn't sink a ton of money into an axe like that. no offense, but i have always looked at the RX series to be a complete line of beginner guitars.
i feel the exact opposite towards the much more rare RT line. i own 2 RT's, from the uber cheap, but awesome RT150(currently awaiting a refin) and a RT650 in which i dropped in a full boat of duncans. the RX series just always felt...okay and never more than such. i hope the guitar plays well for you, but if i owned that guitar, it would be more of a workhorse/beater to keep the miles off of my more expensive axes. which in turn was the main reason why i own an RG520qs, to keep the miles off of my prestige RG's.

for the start styled ibanez, the reissue blazers of the late 90's and the early 90's RT's are the way to go. the FR series and the SV series now cater alot to that vibe as well. hell, even though i think that fender is overcharging for their guitars, the squier classic vibe guitars are truly nice instruments and, if i found one used for cheap, wouldn't hesitate for it to become part of the stable. especially since so many aftermarket shops have killer ash bodies for cheap now.
the RX has just past its time, like the EX before it. both lines found themselves to become obsolete when ibanez introduced the budget RG100's and RG200's.
i have a history of being an ass, too. my wife knows this all too well!

rich

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
"Hey guys, check out my new guitar! It's better than I expected, I'm super excited about it and I got it cheap!"

"Those suck. I wouldn't invest in it."

"You should have gotten something else."

Seriously? Can't we just be excited about the guy's new ride?

I mean, we're all entitled to our opinions, but could we maybe keep them out of the guy's NGD thread? It just seems kind of thoughtless.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Good catch, Grendel. I'd personally leave the pickups white but that's me.
Nice axe! Isn't this really much like the Andy Timmons model with different wood for the body?

·
Registered
420 Posts
"Hey guys, check out my new guitar! It's better than I expected, I'm super excited about it and I got it cheap!"

"Those suck. I wouldn't invest in it."

"You should have gotten something else."

Seriously? Can't we just be excited about the guy's new ride?

I mean, we're all entitled to our opinions, but could we maybe keep them out of the guy's NGD thread? It just seems kind of thoughtless.
yeah think of the children :)

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, first off I would like to thank everyone for their replies. I appreciate the enthusiasm and candor. I don't post often so, a majority of the members I imagine do not know of my existence. This is not my first guitar, by far...I've been playing Ibanez since 1996 and own quite a few Ibanez guitars in general. From the explanation I gave earlier with what I was going to mod this guitar with should have told everyone that I do all my own work. I have also made a new and finally render, for I have ultimately decided on it's style. I read one member speak of Squiers and how "the squier classic vibe guitars are truly nice instruments and, if i found one used for cheap, wouldn't hesitate for it to become part of the stable". I completely disagree there, I can't stand the neck or the tone that guitar brings to begin with. But, these are all just opinions and that's exactly what I wanted. If I wanted a fender strat I would have went out and bought one, but I am undoubtedly not a fender fan, undoubtedly...This is a guitar that I am going to play, whether it be a workhorse or not, I still want it to match the sound I have in my head to the letter(or as best as it possibly can)and these pickups will finish that vision for me...I know "agathis" is not the best wood, but if you know guitars, there's always a chance that you can buy a supposed good quality guitar and it's a bad cut of wood...From playing this guitar(quite a bit now), the sustain carries like you wouldn't believe(just want the new pickups for more power and dynamic tonality that Ibanez stock pickups don't possess), trust me I am shocked at this guitar and that is the reason I am willing to put some much stake into it...

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am shocked at this guitar and that is the reason I am willing to put some much stake into it...[/quote]

...and that's all that matters. Enjoy!! :D

·
Registered
346 Posts
I am shocked at this guitar and that is the reason I am willing to put some much stake into it...
...and that's all that matters. Enjoy!! :D[/quote]

That's what I'm saying! If he likes the guitar, let him do his thing! God knows I've upgraded the hell out of some lower end models and they absolutely rock now. More power to you my friend. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Grendel, congrats man! Any new guitar aquisition is a fun acquisition anyways. I'm sure you'll have a blast with whatever you do to this one. So many options to choose.....endless opportunities

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
My Fiancee` bought me a RX240SB...It's a great guitar surprisingly...I put it on layaway at the local pawnie and she secretively paid the rest of the balance as a surprise for our anniversary, whadda Gal!! It's really not a bad guitar at all, especially for the price...The neck is smooth and the tone completely blows me away, it's made of "Agatis", which I've heard mixed opinions, but it's beautiful and holds the tone adquately to label it a good guitar...The pickups are Ibanez stock "PowerSounds", ehh rubish so I'm definitely replacing them and I already know what with...DiMarzio "Breed" Black/White in the bridge, DiMarzio "Fast Track 1" White in the middle, and DiMarzio "ProTrack" White in the neck with a push-poll pot to change from series to parallel...Neck has a either a Bubinga or Rosewood stripe...No real details from the catalogs on that...So I'm replacing the tuning machines with Black Planet Waves Auto-Trim tuning machines...The bridge with a Black Wilkinson-Gotoh VSVG, Graph Tech string trees, An extra tone pot and and Black knob...
Kinda lame reason for bumping this, but the Rob Balducci pic on the 1st attachment is pretty funny.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Kinda lame reason for bumping this, but the Rob Balducci pic on the 1st attachment is pretty funny.
WOAH! he looks really different now!! how old is that catalog? met Rob at jemfest in Florida, Great guy!!

Hey, is he ever on jemsite?????

·
Registered
142 Posts
Well, first off I would like to thank everyone for their replies. I appreciate the enthusiasm and candor. I don't post often so, a majority of the members I imagine do not know of my existence. This is not my first guitar, by far...I've been playing Ibanez since 1996 and own quite a few Ibanez guitars in general. From the explanation I gave earlier with what I was going to mod this guitar with should have told everyone that I do all my own work. I have also made a new and finally render, for I have ultimately decided on it's style. I read one member speak of Squiers and how "the squier classic vibe guitars are truly nice instruments and, if i found one used for cheap, wouldn't hesitate for it to become part of the stable". I completely disagree there, I can't stand the neck or the tone that guitar brings to begin with. But, these are all just opinions and that's exactly what I wanted. If I wanted a fender strat I would have went out and bought one, but I am undoubtedly not a fender fan, undoubtedly...This is a guitar that I am going to play, whether it be a workhorse or not, I still want it to match the sound I have in my head to the letter(or as best as it possibly can)and these pickups will finish that vision for me...I know "agathis" is not the best wood, but if you know guitars, there's always a chance that you can buy a supposed good quality guitar and it's a bad cut of wood...From playing this guitar(quite a bit now), the sustain carries like you wouldn't believe(just want the new pickups for more power and dynamic tonality that Ibanez stock pickups don't possess), trust me I am shocked at this guitar and that is the reason I am willing to put some much stake into it...
Looks exactly like my RX240 and I like the sound mine has and the way it plays ( This could be better ).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts