Ibanez JEM Forum banner

NEW UV vs NEW RG1527

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  127.0.0.1 
#1 ·
Just curious, what is the difference between those two except for extra single coil pickup on the UV and the colors? I looked up the specs and they are the same. If so, why buy UV over RG1527?

#2 ·
They're two different levels of guitar.

There's also a big difference in the quality of the wood and parts used(supposedly!).

On top of that there's the same old thing of Ibanez charging what they think people will pay for a particular guitar.

While were on the subject though, I do think the new 1527 neck looks VERY similar (apart from the inlays) to the new UV neck!

#3 ·
JTM45 said:
While were on the subject though, I do think the new 1527 neck looks VERY similar (apart from the inlays) to the new UV neck!
If you take a look at Ibanez Japan's website, you will find that both the UV and RG1527 neck is of the same dimensions. Check it out.

This is one of the reasons why I'm asking this question.

#4 · (Edited)
Even if the two have the same neck dimensions, are made of the same wood, AND have the same bridge the UV will probably still have better pickups and more superficial differences. And you also have to figure that having Steve Vai's name on the guitar is going to raise the price substantially. So really it's more of a question as to whether or not those few differences are worth paying the extra money. It's like someone said before in a thread comparing a JEM with an RG: When you buy a JEM, you're not just buying it for the sound but for the image. It's the kind of guitar that's supposed to look fantastic, play fantastic, AND sound fantastic.

For me, I'd have to say that 2 out of 3 (as long as those two are playability and sound) ain't bad at all. If all of the things that really matter (things that affect tone and playability) are the same or can be easily upgraded then I'm generally one to go the cheaper route. But you'll have yourself a fine guitar with either choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.