Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been playing cathedral too much, and i need a new volume pot ...

but whats the difference in sound between a 250k and a 500k pot ??

i am confused as to what to get .... :?

thanx

·
Registered
868 Posts
From my background in electronics here;
I wouldnt think there would be any difference in tone between the 2, but just that one would be more "smooth" than the other (I would expect the 250k to give a nice gradual increase in volume compared to the 500)But I could be totally wrong :?

If there is a difference I would love to know what It is too, and also, why does it occur? :)

-better shred than dead-ANDY

·
Registered
635 Posts
athlon said:
been playing cathedral too much, and i need a new volume pot ...

but whats the difference in sound between a 250k and a 500k pot ??

i am confused as to what to get .... :?

thanx
What kind of pickups and such do you use? It does make a big difference which pots you use. Chances are you're gonna need a 500K audio pot.

BTW, who's Cathedral? And why does playing Cathedral make you need a new volume pot?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use a Seymour Duncan Full Shred, in the bridge ..

whose Cathedral ?!?!?!

its an instrumental from eddie Van Halen ... from Diver Down if i remember ....

Dude ... its quality, you have to hear it

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Is it me, or are 250k pots usually used on strats and single-coiled guitars?
I dunno. I am inexperienced electronics wise!
Gary - The.Godfather

·
Registered
197 Posts
The guitar's pickups and player preferences determine the value of the pot used. Generally, 250K pots are used with single-coil pickups and 500K pots are used with humbuckers. A higher value pot will allow a brighter tone, while lower values can fatten the tone. The difference is due to the way the lower value attenuates (cuts) high frequencies. This occurs because higher frequencies travel more readily to ground and there is only 250K of resistance between the hot signal and ground, even with the control at 10. There is a greater amount of resistance between hot and ground with a 500K pot, so less of the upper frequencies are allowed to pass.

·
Registered
306 Posts
...which is why some people add a bypass capacitor across the pot to keep the tone from getting muddy as you roll off the volume... like me!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
You know what I don't like about that? When I'm playing with the tone control down for jazzy runs, it screws with the sound. What it's actually doing is reducing the bass frequencies before it reduces the treble frequencies. And at the same time, you're reducing those frequencies at the tone pot. So instead of being deep and fat, its more midrangey when you have the tone down and the volume at say, half. Since athlon is a "volume pot" guy, I just thought it should be pointed out. Plus, I don't like it for volume swells either. Instead of the notes fading in with a "wow" sound, they fade in with sort of a "zing" sound. Hey I just had an idea for a stacked tone pot. I have one here with a center detent, and I think I could wire it up so in the middle, tone was at "10" and HPF was disengaged. From center up would engage the HPF, and from center down would be the tone pot. So if you had the tone down the HPF is disengaged.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts