Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, just signed up and tried to send a PM but the site says you all want to hear about me first…

late bloomer, looking to starting touring with a band in about 25 years when I’ll become a 1/2 decent player. Will use a wig if I get that far and will restore the glory of tge 80-s by shredding through the superficial “artists” of today…
Until then just want to be a poser and look cool at home.

all seriousness aside…

looking to buy a Jem jr, and pay some one to paint it professionally to look like LNG Steve Vai early models. Does anyone has experience with this?
do you recommend replacing electronics abd hardware before getting it pkek’ed and then do the paint? Or paint first and then do all the transplant surgery?

any advice is appreciated.

And take it easy on me y’all with beards and grey hair I am just a baby making first steps here…

P.S. one of the greatest mistakes ever made in music was David Coverdale getting rid of the great John Sykes who wrote all of the signature Whitesnake guitar parts from 1987 album. This led to one of the most fortunate consequences of Steve Vai joining Whitesnake. I wish he stayed longer… and with John Sykes..:)

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Welcome. How old are you, if you don’t mind me asking? I am 53 and have painted many guitars. I would get either a white or yellow Jr to start with. I would keep the original finish as a base/sealer coat. Rough it up and spray the green over it. No need to strip the body before painting.

I used to work in a body shop. Get proper equipment to spray the new finish. Also get an approved respirator, if you paint it your self.

I used to have a local body shop paint bodies for me. definitely worth it.

Oh yes and I have a beard that is half white. Great to here a young person who appreciates truly great guitarists.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Welcome! I'm not too old yet... 34 years old... Playability wise you will need to change some things. I would suggest you do all of the not aesthetic mods first, that way you don't risk damaging the paint when it's all done. The bridge on those (most of them) is cheap junk... And should be replaced because it has stability and tuning issues. Pickups are sort of a personal preference, some like them, others with experienced ears know what they like and change them. I personally would absolutely change them but if you don't know what you would want, it is an easy thing to do down the road. Replacing the tuning machines doesn't really matter because it has a locking nut, therefore they do not diminish the tuning stability of the guitar.

As 3bolt suggested the original paint can stay as a sealer. The lower end Ibanez guitars typically have only a sealer, a color coat and a clear coat... The white version is especially nice for your particular project because it is a nice base coat for colors to lay on top of without altering the character of the color you are after. Personally I like to strip it down to bare wood, but that requires a lot more work and prep. If you have chips in the factory finish they can easily be filled with super glue and leveled before the new finish is applied.

Just be aware that in the end you will be paying a pretty penny for that paint job... Good paint is expensive, body shops nowadays do not typically wet sand the finish because their equipment sprays much more evenly than a spray can can. Quality is most important though, good paint is not cheap for a good reason! Durability! However you definitely can achieve the same quality finish from a can nowadays. it just requires a bit more wet sanding and buffing in the end. I am excited to see what it looks like when you're done! We'll definitely be here to help in any way we can 😎🤘

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you gents! Very kind of you both.

3bolt: that Whitesnake deal dated me didn’t it? I am 52. Was around music all my life growing up in Europe but was always blessed with conservatory level guitarists in the bands I was in so never had to worry about guitars.
after Edward died something flipped in me and I decided to get into guitars. It’s a disease now although I am doing better in buying them than I do playing them but the journey is joy.

would you be interested in doing a project for me? I am very skilled in some areas but have 2 left hands when it comes to craftsmanship. Figured to use Sins Custom Shop ( great reviews on equality but apparently he’s on the slow side when completing things).

Jsx: right on, would want to put in good stuff and maybe utopia pups etc.

to both if you: Is this worth doing? Or am I going to end up paying too much? Figured I don’t deserve a real one at 10-13k so this could work.
Cant live without something like an LNG with a monkey grip.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
By the way guys, having the same hallucinations about turning a Kramer reissue into an EVH striped tribute but did not face the balls to start that discussion in this predominantly Jem- oriented community

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Well you seem to want this as a life fulfilling thing more than a resale. So putting a price on whether or not it's worth it is sort of relative to the person who wants it. I mod my guitars so much they are no longer technically Ibanez guitars anymore... They resemble them but they are heavily modified. Making them actually worth much less... But since they are exactly what I want I don't care because I will never sell them. The only thing Ibanez about them are... the bridge and the shape of the body lol. They are priceless to me. Which seems to be what you are after.

The only issue with the Jr guitars is that the build quality is definitely all over the place. Some are excellent... And at the same time others need extensive fret work... Sometimes even fretboard work. It's a rough existence for those who love the JEM because of the inflated prices of the MIJ guitars. It's a small body, especially compared to most things that a body shop actually paints on a regular basis... so it wouldn't hurt to get a quote from the body shop To see what they would charge for the job. But paint is only a small portion of what is important. If it playability isn't great then you have a nice wall hanger but nothing you'll enjoy to play. I had the Satriani bug until I bought one and realized I liked it... But didn't love it. It's a nostalgic love I know... As for doing the work I definitely love doing it... I don't have the time this year though. And paint alone would be around $160 if I were to do it... And that's at cost. You need a bridge, that's $150 if you go with gotoh, you need pickups... That's what... close to $300. Plus paint, we're up to $510... Plus shipping the guitar to one of us... Which is sort of dependent on where we are relative to one another. And a Jr goes for what... $800? So we are up to close to $1500 already and no work has even been done yet. So the question is... What is too much to you?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jsx, you are right I still like a good deal. The real ones are cost prohibitive so this could work.

I’ve seen the Jem Jrs for 350-450 on eBay. Even hew it’s 500 at Sweetwater.
i heard that quality is a hit or miss but hope to find a good one.

that EVH is exactly what I’m talking about.
dud you start with a kramer reissue?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
No actually that is a 1987 Kramer Baretta my dad gave me... He painted for me when I was 15 (after extensive begging). It's Rust-Oleum spray cans hahaha. It's broken I need to install a new truss rod which means the fret board needs to come off... And I am going to put a maple board on it and chrome hardware. Then probably reclear or... Relic it a bit. The paint is rough in person. But so was Ed's! Gives it more ed like character.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Thank you gents! Very kind of you both.

3bolt: that Whitesnake deal dated me didn’t it? I am 52. Was around music all my life growing up in Europe but was always blessed with conservatory level guitarists in the bands I was in so never had to worry about guitars.
after Edward died something flipped in me and I decided to get into guitars. It’s a disease now although I am doing better in buying them than I do playing them but the journey is joy.

would you be interested in doing a project for me? I am very skilled in some areas but have 2 left hands when it comes to craftsmanship. Figured to use Sins Custom Shop ( great reviews on equality but apparently he’s on the slow side when completing things).

Jsx: right on, would want to put in good stuff and maybe utopia pups etc.

to both if you: Is this worth doing? Or am I going to end up paying too much? Figured I don’t deserve a real one at 10-13k so this could work.
Cant live without something like an LNG with a monkey grip.
If they ever do the Jem Jr. in green I will definitely get another one.

I have had a white one and a yellow one. The pickups in in the yellow and pink Jr. SP sounded better to my ear. I am going to be going for a Pink Jr. one of these days. They are really good for the Price.

The stock trem can be made to work. Iv’e found on the jr that using different springs makes a nice difference. Three or four of the extra strong Floyd rose springs takes care of any problems returning to zero.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, equitable joined and attempted to send a PM yet the site says all of you need to catch wind of me first…

slowpoke, hoping to beginning visiting with a band in around 25 years when I'll turn into a 1/2 good player. Will utilize a hairpiece in the event that I get that far and will reestablish the greatness of tge 80-s by destroying through the shallow "craftsmen" of today…

1 - 15 of 15 Posts