Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this morning the Fed Ex guy dropped off my new slightly Blemished, Ibanez RG550. I have been working on it since noon and just got finished. It took awhile to find the sweet spot on the trem where I could dive or pull up and have it go back to zero. Polished the frets with some Gorgamyte. The pickups sound great. I set it up Vai style at 1mm on the high E and 1.5 mm on the low E.

This is the lowest action on any of my guitars. It plays super fast.

Now the blemish was a hairline crack in the paint along the low E side of the neck pocket. But for 200 bucks off the 999 dollar price, I am satisfied with it. Set it up with EB Cobalt 9-42 and it sounds great. I actually like the pups that came with it. Good high end, lots of mods, and super tight bass thanks to the Cobalts.

I can pull up a little More than a fourth on it. The case for it came yesterday. Bought used off of Amazon for a hundred bucks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Looks great, and what a deal! I'll take a routine, hairline crack at the neck pocket for $200 off any day of the week! That's bound to happen eventually anyway. Congrats!

How's this compare to your somewhat similar Jem Jr?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks great, and what a deal! I'll take a routine, hairline crack at the neck pocket for $200 off any day of the week! That's bound to happen eventually anyway. Congrats!

How's this compare to your somewhat similar Jem Jr?
The neck on the RG550 is much thinner. It took a few minutes before it didn’t feel strange to me. Yeah that crack at the pocket just reminded me that it is a Strat style guitar. It was either returned for that or else they couldn’t find the sweet spot when setting up the trem. I have mine set up for EB cobalts. 9-42. Yeah the guitar still has warranty, and it’s basically new.

Now I’ve got to get to work on this one.

I wound up cutting five of the slots in the nut, as they were too high. I can see using this for a couple of things, but I don’t think it will be a dail\y player. Glad it was cheap.

Attachments

·
Registered
676 Posts
Haha, you're on fire, man! I had to turn down the contrast on my screen for the pic. The setup is the hemi-powered Hellcat of guitar.

I guess they're trickling in again. In Europe, they've been out of stock at most places for quite a while; some colours will be back in within a few weeks, apparently.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, after acclimating for a couple of weeks, the neck on the RG550 moved and I have 2 proud frets. The 6th and 14th frets are causing a buzz and I raised the action to 4/64ths, and it is still there. Added a little more relief to the neck and it didn’t seem to make a difference. I will let it sit for a couple of days and see if it changes. If not, I will take this 2mfrets down a smidge.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, after acclimating for a couple of weeks, the neck on the RG550 moved and I have 2 proud frets. The 6th and 14th frets are causing a buzz and I raised the action to 4/64ths, If not, I will take this 2mfrets down a smidge.
Well, it turned out that I had to lower just the 6th fret. A couple of passes with the crowning file and neck is adjusted and they are all perfectly level now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts