Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OMG, I not only now have a JEM/UV but I also have a 7-string. My wife kind of forced my hand buying this because she knew I had been looking at it on CL and felt bad because I spent last month's bonus on brakes (dang, Brembo's are expensive)

It is a 2000, in great condition, almost no fretwear and just a couple of bruises and did I mention, ITS A 7-STRING!!!

Anyone know where I should look to figure out how to play a 7-string??? :)

Better pics when the sun shines again.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
oooh man, those are the most beautiflu guitars. full binding, pyramids....thanks alot, now i REALLY am going to buy one haha
but good buy man, once i played a 7, it made me need that 7th string. the only thing keeping me from buying your bmc body is the fact that its a 6 string, :/
but let er rip on that uv, you did well. how much did you pay for it if you dont mind my asking?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Great guitar Satchmo :)

I've had this model for a couple of years now and still love it.. They're a pleasure to play. I love the low B for real mean chords and riffs, Can't beat it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Awesome guitar! Congrats, she looks awesome!

As for playing one. Play it for a month or two and it should start feeling a tad more normal, at least that was the case for me.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Yeah, there really is no "learning" how to play a 7-string...You just adapt to it till it's a part of your every day playing....So much that you feel lost on a 6er...

I only have 1 6er, and that's for dust collection.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, you guys are correct, seems like you just end up incorporating the string into whatever your doing.

What is surprising is how fast I adapted to the larger fretboard, it doesn't really bother me at all but my 540R is going to feel dinky compared to this thing.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yep, you guys are correct, seems like you just end up incorporating the string into whatever your doing.

What is surprising is how fast I adapted to the larger fretboard, it doesn't really bother me at all but my 540R is going to feel dinky compared to this thing.
That is the biggest problem for me. I still play the wrong string occasionally

·
Registered
965 Posts
oooh man, those are the most beautiflu guitars. full binding, pyramids....thanks alot, now i REALLY am going to buy one haha
but good buy man, once i played a 7, it made me need that 7th string. the only thing keeping me from buying your bmc body is the fact that its a 6 string, :/
but let er rip on that uv, you did well. how much did you pay for it if you dont mind my asking?
Hey Satchmo..... Are you selling your bmc swirl? (the one in your avatar pic) That $hit is to die for.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Macka, I was...until the wife said that I should build it and the house would help defray the cost.

I love her.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Sounds like you have an awesome wife...how many wives talk their husbands out of selling a guitar...she is a keeper! very nice UV too...

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Her exact words were, "Out of all the guitars that have came and went, that is the one I want you to keep the most" so..... she even suggested that if I dont build it anytime soon, building a glass case and showing it until I do get it built. it's art.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ummm, well...I am in B I guess. The low string is tuned to B with the rest E standard.

Never thought about "other strings" before. The guitar itself is freaking amazing. The previous owner had the trem at a weird angle, high up and dropped into the cavity. Had to raise it a bit and adjust spring tension. It is still higher than what I would like but not by much but at least now the trem sits how it should.

Sonically, I soooo missed an RG style guitar. it just has a growl and tone I cant coax out of a 540R. The middle pickup is even usable and the out of phase 2 & 4 are playable too. Now I have to go back through my POD settings to get the most out of it.

Very impressed with the quality of this thing but then, it is the most expensive ($ List) that I have ever owned.

And yes, I have the coolest, most understanding, loving wife ever. :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Ummm, well...I am in B I guess. The low string is tuned to B with the rest E standard.

Never thought about "other strings" before. The guitar itself is freaking amazing. The previous owner had the trem at a weird angle, high up and dropped into the cavity. Had to raise it a bit and adjust spring tension. It is still higher than what I would like but not by much but at least now the trem sits how it should.

Sonically, I soooo missed an RG style guitar. it just has a growl and tone I cant coax out of a 540R. The middle pickup is even usable and the out of phase 2 & 4 are playable too. Now I have to go back through my POD settings to get the most out of it.

Very impressed with the quality of this thing but then, it is the most expensive ($ List) that I have ever owned.

And yes, I have the coolest, most understanding, loving wife ever. :)
your current settings should be fine in your pod. try adjusting your eq.just dropping a little bass, and adjusting the mids either + or - ,depending on your ear :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
your welcome! have you got a tone dialed in for it yet? it took me while to find one for my uni. i already had a couple dialed in for my other 7s, but they are not as bright as my universe.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No, I really didn't have time tonight and now the fam is asleep. :(

I look forward to spending some quality time soon.

Question, how high up past the body does the bass side of your trem go? I'd like it to be a bit lower.

This pickguard is throwing me off, it's thicker than I've ever seen.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts