Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from the Reverend Guitars HQ.

I just picked up another 17th street Spyder in Satin Red. Pictured along with my green & black ones.

These were made by John Carruthers in Venice, CA in 2005, and designed by Dave Levine (DL). The brand didn't last very long, maybe 40 or so guitars. Over the last few years I've ended up with 7 of them.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm curious to see if any of you have heard of these and if you have any thoughts.... I like the design.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
I'm curious to see if any of you have heard of these and if you have any thoughts.... I like the design.
Never heard of them, but that green one makes me drool. Spiffy looking guitars! What's the low down on them....not that I won't be scouring the net :)

·
Registered
734 Posts
I had a green one. Not to be a wet blanket, but I hated the thing like poison. I found it to be a dead feeling and sounding instrument. I couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Of course, opinions on playability and sound when it comes to guitars is entirely subjective.

I will say that they are pretty nice looking axes. Glad you like yours man, congrats on the NGD.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Uberthrall - They are odd when compared to other guitars of this style. The guy who designed them told me he was going for a "Tele" vibe, which they have in the upper mids. Very brash sounding. I don't mind it - they have thier own sound. I also like the neck, which is asymetrical & huge.

However- I'm thinking about marketing this model.. My idea is to keep the look, which I think is great, but maybe go to Korina for the body and different pickups to give it a more traditional tone/vibe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts