Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally, after 30 years, I've made one of my very few childhood dreams become a reality.

1987 Jem 777 LNG, #380.

Around mid 1988, maybe 1989, I had a chance to buy a brand new LNG Jem, from Brian Guitars in New Haven, CT. I remember Brian, the store owner, bringing it out from the back to show me. In hindsight it was kind of crushing, I'd wanted one so badly, and to have a chance to get a new one was awesome, until the reality set it in that there was no way I could afford it. I was 15 or 16 at the time, from a pretty poor single parent family. I had a little part time job at a gas station. I don't remember exactly how much the cost was then, but i'm pretty certain it was in the $1,500 range. Which was well out of my reach. On the bright side, I bought an RG which I still have to this day.

Anyway, thanks to jazzy-leroy on here, I've finally secured one. It's been about 10 years since I last had a Jem, and this is just my second one. It just made it's way into my possession today, all the way from the UK.

I was too lazy to get out my real camera, so here are some cell phone shots for now.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet. Nice guitar. I have downsized like crazy but I would take an 87 LNG anyday.
Thanks. I hear that. I play mostly Fender American Strats, set up as hard tails, and Gibson SG's these days, along with my two 88/89 era RG 560 and 570s.

I don't plan on building a collection of Jems, but I do really want to get an 87 to 89 era player, particularly a Jem 7 RB.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hell yeah that is in great shape too congrats
Technically, it's from Rich, with a 10 or 11 year stop over in the UK. The previous owner, jazzy-leroy, didn't really play it, so I'm pretty certain it is exactly as Rich shipped it to him. The setup on this thing is off the charts, it blows the setups on any Ibanez edge / lo-pro equipped guitar I've ever had totally out of the water. On that fact alone, I'm really looking forward to getting my 30th anniversary 777 from Rich now, something I'll feel a whole lot more comfortable playing regularly.

Congrats! Really nice LNG. Does it have the pyramid case?
No, it's the Jem1000C, hot pink interior case, Chesboro style I guess it's called.

Other than having the pickguard swapped out for the later style by a previous owner, it's really sweet. I grew up on the late 80's Ibanez RG style, so the position of the volume knob is really "off" to me. And the handrest/guard, it feels weird, after playing original edge equipped guitars since the late 80's, it feels foreign.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts