Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a span of a week, I am going to own 2 guitars I have never owned before. Today I got a 540PHH in DY and Monday I am getting a 88 S540 in Caribbean Blue.

Todays guitar though is quite interesting. One of the first things I noticed was that while it feels like an RG, it only has 22 frets which made for playing some of the Satch stuff that I have been working on a bit different. Talk about fret access, with the huge cutout you can easily get all the way down to 22 and it's playable.

The jury is still out on the pickups but they are actually affording me a different sound then both my 560 and my Herc, just not sure if it is the sound i am looking for.

Straight up, it's a guitar I have always wanted but the prices were too high. I got this one at a very affordable price so I thought I would try it. Worth every penny but I did not necessarily buy it to keep it. That may change. I still need to drop the bridge a bit. In shipping. the trem studs were not locked down and I am still adjusting to the right height. It plays very fast and I am a huge fan of the comfort of bound necks.

Plus, it is a H-H guitar which suits me well because I do not use the middle pickup anyway.

Anyway, thought you might like to see what pics I got. Sunlight pics if it ever comes out again.

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
Nice. Did you get that from guitarscott here?

Your comments on the neck are kind of interesting. Did you notice the 45mm nut? The neck is significantly wider at the nut than a regular Wizard.

These guitars are also known for the lower horn blocking upper fret access.

The F3 is a very aggressive pickup, but I like it for certain stuff.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice. Did you get that from guitarscott here?

Your comments on the neck are kind of interesting. Did you notice the 45mm nut? The neck is significantly wider at the nut than a regular Wizard.

These guitars are also known for the lower horn blocking upper fret access.

The F3 is a very aggressive pickup, but I like it for certain stuff.
I am not quite sure what I noticed. Just that it felt really different. The extra width is a good thing as I dont think JS's and I ever got along well because of the 42MM nut. It just felt cramped.

I did not notice the horn issue but then everyones playing style may be different and, I have only had it one night.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, spent a bit more time with it and you are right, the 22nd fret is almost inaccessible. Getting to 21, not so bad but 22 is just not there.

Everything else felt ok, I like the board and how it plays. The body is a bit of an oddball though, it is really small, or seems that way. It just seems like it should be bigger I guess.

Sound of the neck pickup I like, your right though, the F3 is aggressive, maybe overly aggressive for my lead stuff.

Really cool guitar though. Still trying to get used to the reverse headstock too, tuning is a bit different. :)

All in all, good stuff. Probably wont keep it though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts