Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! My 2010 FP2 arrived from Indonesia yesterday, and it looks even better than I imagined, just from looking at pictures. I don't even mind the black pups. No, it is not an Indonesian FP2, it just happened to be shipped from there. 100% real :)

How worn are the frets, would you say? They are smaller than other 6105s, but very evenly small I think, and the guitar is otherwise very clean with hardly a mark on it. Which may not mean that is hasn't been played extensively of course. Could have been levelled at some point.

The jack barrel has obviously been out before, with the washer on the wrong side of the nut, held in place with duct tape..! One cord came off easily when I pulled lightly on it, so I am hoping this is the reason for the very weak output. I thought my amp was still off when I first plugged in. Will get it re-soldered soon. I am hoping you don't see anything suspicious in the control cavity, because then it is off to a guitar tech, I think.

Thanks for looking.

-Alexander

Attachments

·
Registered
327 Posts
Looks good to me! Congrats!
I remember being so pumped for the FP2 when it came out. Then initially disappointed as I thought the design was a little understated...
(original FP is my absolute favorite).

But the FP2 has then grown on me ever since and I totally regret not having the cash for one back then. Hopefully one day I'll be as lucky as you and manage to pick up a good second hand one!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks good to me! Congrats!
I remember being so pumped for the FP2 when it came out. Then initially disappointed as I thought the design was a little understated...
(original FP is my absolute favorite).

But the FP2 has then grown on me ever since and I totally regret not having the cash for one back then. Hopefully one day I'll be as lucky as you and manage to pick up a good second hand one!
Thank you! : )

I agree, there is just something about the original FP. I have owned two 88s, first one stolen and the second quite recently sold, after swearing I would never. The market for outrageous FPs isn't big in Norway, but still, at 1600USD, I think I almost gave the second FP away. The regrets.

That said, I am very happy with my slightly understated FP2 : )

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Beautiful guitar!! I really like the FP's... very classy to me. Hopefully you'll get full output when you resolder the output jack.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Beautiful guitar!! I really like the FP's... very classy to me. Hopefully you'll get full output when you resolder the output jack.
Agreed! :)

But it turns out I am really bad at soldering, at least in that small cavity. Tried adding the tin with the jack out of the guitar, but still ended up with a big tin mess, and possibly soldered both wires to the outer threaded part of the jack, via the excess tin. No sound at all. Time to leave it to someone else..

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Agreed! :)

But it turns out I am really bad at soldering, at least in that small cavity. Tried adding the tin with the jack out of the guitar, but still ended up with a big tin mess, and possibly soldered both wires to the outer threaded part of the jack, via the excess tin. No sound at all. Time to leave it to someone else..
If there is old grainy looking solder on there it will be hard to get a good connection. Might even be worth a putting in a new jack since you are in there. If there is one thing I've learned about soldering over the eons it is clean, clean, clean! Keep the tip of the iron clean and free of any old solder throughout the process. Get rid of the old nasty solder with a solder sucker or solder wick (or if you remove the jack, heat it up and flick it off there), re-tin it with good fresh shiny solder, tin the wire to be soldered with good fresh shiny solder, then when you go to attach the wires add a tiny bit of fresh solder on the tip of the iron... the wire will get a nice shiny clean solder connection. Then again, all that stuff is second nature to me after 35 years and I have all the tools and such laying around... if you have a good buddy or connection for solder work, that's cool too. Good luck... That beautiful guitar deserves to have good sound! :smile_big:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
If there is old grainy looking solder on there it will be hard to get a good connection. Might even be worth a putting in a new jack since you are in there. If there is one thing I've learned about soldering over the eons it is clean, clean, clean! Keep the tip of the iron clean and free of any old solder throughout the process. Get rid of the old nasty solder with a solder sucker or solder wick (or if you remove the jack, heat it up and flick it off there), re-tin it with good fresh shiny solder, tin the wire to be soldered with good fresh shiny solder, then when you go to attach the wires add a tiny bit of fresh solder on the tip of the iron... the wire will get a nice shiny clean solder connection. Then again, all that stuff is second nature to me after 35 years and I have all the tools and such laying around... if you have a good buddy or connection for solder work, that's cool too. Good luck... That beautiful guitar deserves to have good sound! :smile_big:
My father could solder this nicely, but he's 89 and we're still not supposed to socialize indoors. I'm taking it to a tech tomorrow. New jack or not, that should get it sorted :) I guess there are good reasons why solderless jacks are not a big thing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
holy mother of pearl, that's beautiful. congrats dude how many bones did it cost you?
Agreed, again :)

If bones are a dollar a pop, then 2200 bones. That seemed reasonable, given how clean it is. And soon it will even make some noise.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Love the FP2. I had an amazing one that I sold years back. I should have kept it.
You should have : ) If I tire of this one, I am sticking it under the bed to re-discover later, like I should have with the FP, when I thought I had «matured» to a pedestrian Strat type. I was wrong.

·
Registered
805 Posts
You should have : ) If I tire of this one, I am sticking it under the bed to re-discover later, like I should have with the FP, when I thought I had «matured» to a pedestrian Strat type. I was wrong.
I've gone thought this as well. I sold all of my CS strats over the past 2 weeks.
I got my new PIA last night. Just an amazing guitar. I have the black one coming as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The guitar is back from the tech, and finally I have sound!

The bridge pickup almost seems to push my amp (Fender Blues Junior IV) into slight breakup, even at low volumes, at least with the Katana Clean Boost that I use with Fender single coils turned on. I am hoping the EVO 2 pickup is much higher output than a Strat single coil (goes without saying I guess), and a slightly lower position will clean it up. The middle and neck pickups need to be raised a smidge, I think. With new strings on and a new trem arm arriving, it is soon back to excellent condition. Very happy with my purchase :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My Ibanez MTZ11 multitool arrived, for all my JEM adjusting needs, and either the 1.5mm allen is too short to reach the set/locking screws inside the trem posts, or my Edge is missing these screws. Which is it? Do all Edge trems have these screws? There is no mention of these screws in the Edge manual at ibanezrules.com for instance, but at the same time, I know my 88FP had them.

Let me know! :)

·
Vendor
26,323 Posts
It's not shown in the manual because it's not a part you can buy, it's in the stud.

The wrench on the tool is plenty long enough to reach it

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's not shown in the manual because it's not a part you can buy, it's in the stud.

The wrench on the tool is plenty long enough to reach it
Ok, thanks.

So if the wrench doesn't seem to connect to anything, what would you suspect is the issue? The heads or the threads of the screws?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This questions gets asked all the time, many have trouble finding and getting the wrench into the hole. Close your eyes and pretend it's a woman and you'll get there.
Great advice, I do it all the time :)

But if the wrench is plenty long enough, something is suspicious here. I have to detach the 1.5mm to reach deep enough, otherwise the handle of the tool stops against either of the outer saddles. Poking around, there really doesn't seem to be anything down there. Maybe someone replaced the studs with non-locking ones..?

Action and tuning stabilty is fine, so I'll leave it for now, but for later, the 2LE2B is the correct part and the replacement pretty easy?

·
Vendor
26,323 Posts
The stud is 30mm long. If you can stick anything in the hole 30mm then you are missing the set screws or they're not edge studs, which are 4mm allen drive.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The stud is 30mm long. If you can stick anything in the hole 30mm then you are missing the set screws or they're not edge studs, which are 4mm allen drive.
I can go 40mm before it touches anything, and the stud takes a 3mm allen. I guess they can be a number of different studs then? I'll order replacements.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts