Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NGD!!!!

My first total build from the ground up, and my first 7 string (first time ever playing one also). In case there were a few out there lucky enough to have missed the build thread here it is:

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/my-first-neck-build-d-127749.html

The body is one piece Mahogany, the neck is Maple and Bubinga with a Mahogany cap on the headstock, and an Ebony board with jumbo frets.

The bridge is a Hipshot string through and the tuners are Hipshot lockers...

Pickups are Dimarzio Deactivators and there's just a single volume with a 3 way toggle...

The input jack is a hybrid Jem type deal, I wanted the cord to come straight out instead of at down or up angles so I went with it a little lower than where the Jem input would be...

Overall it turned out way better than it should have for my first build, it's far from perfect, but it plays awesome and sounds mean as hell!!!

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
That looks perfect to me. How did you do the logo...is it inlaid in the mahogany headstock? Also are the pickups sitting right on the wooden body or is there some space between bottom of pickup and mahogany body? You should do a 7 string JS model!

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys :mrgreen:

That looks perfect to me. How did you do the logo...is it inlaid in the mahogany headstock? Also are the pickups sitting right on the wooden body or is there some space between bottom of pickup and mahogany body? You should do a 7 string JS model!
The logo is a thin vinyl I got from a dude in the UK... I just cleared over it and built it up with 2k until it covered well. I wish I had the inlay skills to do that though...

Not sure what's next, but I have collected a nice little pile of wood here :twisted:

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
wow, that is very impressive!!! the guitar looks beautiful - great work man! I couldn't even attempt to try building a guitar from scratch...that is awesome!

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wow, that is very impressive!!! the guitar looks beautiful - great work man! I couldn't even attempt to try building a guitar from scratch...that is awesome!
Thanks a lot man :grin:

About 6 month ago I would have said the same exact thing.... As Mike said "Just Do It" :mrgreen:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts