Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago I picked up a second hand Burns Brian May signature, with the intention of fitting a Kahler Tremolo, as I always liked the look of the very first run of Red special copies that Guild produced way back in the day 1984.
Today I finished fitting the Kahler just gotta do some finishing touches, action and intonation and what have you. This guitar is a cross between the Burns and guild model :) Im really happy with it.
The sound from this guitar is fantastic, nothing like my Jem, Strat or Les Paul.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Nice to see people liking BM style guitars. I played a newer version BMG once (with Wilkinson trem) and it was nicely put together, but the scratchplate on the Burns seems better as it follows the line of the body better (more like the Old Lady herself), where as the newer guitars are more like the Guilds.

Interesting that you went with a Kahler - most people who mod these convert them to the original style roller bridge and knife edge trem, which is also much more work!

The '84 Guilds were pretty unusual, not much like the guitar they were supposed to be imitating except in looks. The neck was a lot thinner, it was solid, and the DiMarzio pups weren't that great, supposedly. Only 316 (if I remember aright) were made including one known lefty, and others in finishes besides red, some boasting even figured maple tops.

Check out this aqua one.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Awesome! I've always been interested in the Red Specials, but was never sure which one to get? Aren't the Burns ones supposed to be the best?

Rad guitar, jonnyboy.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys :) I purchased a set of black Grover style locking tuners a couple of weeks ago, these are now on the guitar. I have not fitted a locking nut as the guitar holds perfect tune. I have got a kahler locking nut but just did not see the point in fitting it, I think I will save it for another project.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Awesome! I've always been interested in the Red Specials, but was never sure which one to get? Aren't the Burns ones supposed to be the best?

Rad guitar, jonnyboy.
The Burns was good, but somewhat inconsistent, from what I've read about them (haven't played one). They seem to have come of age in the current incarnation with the Wilkinson trem and more accurate pups. The Burns used Kent Armstrong made pups which were somewhat different.

One consistent critique seems to be about the switches and pots but in the end it's a MIK guitar and these items are easily replaceable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts