Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the music store to get a $6 pack of strings and came home with strings and a MINT UV70P and a prestige case to go along with it. The neck shape doesn't feel as flat as my old UV77MC though or is that just me? The only gripe i have is the baseplate on the neck pickup is pushed right up against the neck making the pickup angle down towards the neck (if that makes sense).

Attachments

·
Banned
983 Posts
Went to the music store to get a $6 pack of strings and came home with strings and a MINT UV70P and a prestige case to go along with it. The neck shape doesn't feel as flat as my old UV77MC though or is that just me? The only gripe i have is the baseplate on the neck pickup is pushed right up against the neck making the pickup angle down towards the neck (if that makes sense).
Congrats, you might want to check my posts on how I fixed this.

·
Banned
983 Posts
Hey Jem777LNG, just a comment and a question :
- before you start messing with the tools drop a message, there are somethings that I would double check If i went down the same road again
- how is your sustain at 24th fret, high E? Mine is about 2 seconds max, with full muting of the rest of strings.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DAMN!!! Score if the year! Best $6 you'll ever spend! 8O
HAHA Rich ! 6 bucks would have been the best deal of the century. I got it for a grand. And Panix your right on the 2 seconds , I'm of to read your posts about it

·
Banned
983 Posts
And Panix your right on the 2 seconds , I'm of to read your posts about it
I did it with sanding the end of the neck heel, on its top side, where it meets the pup. Also, I had to "re-inforce" the neck screw holes with sawdust and strong wood glue, and also change the neck screws, cause they seemed a little bit too long, and could not screw all the way the two longer ones (right side). So basically the mods/fixes I did were :

- fix the neck stability (you many not have this problem)
- fix the slanted pup
- replace nut blots with stronger ones
- replace saddle screws with stronger ones
- replace trem springs with noiseless/stronger ones

The way I fixed the slanted pup was by sanding, but now that I look at the guitar, after I have done super precise intonation, I just think that ideally, and in order to look 100% like the edge zero ii-7 that I see on the net, I should have simply plugged and re-drilled the neck holes, 1-2mm to the right, thus bringing the whole neck 1-2mm to the left. Currently I use the left side hole for the saddles only of high E, high B. G->low B saddles all are on the 2nd hole. I have plenty of room bothways so technically I am ok, its just that I would prefer to make it look 100% like the others.

Just make sure to show some detailed pics!
It is a fun guitar to play, I rarely use any other!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well all I had to do was loosen the neck bolts and pull the neck slightly forward and retighten the bolts ( I had to do this on my Charvel, the high e string was sitting right on the edge at the 22 fret).

This bridge feels weird (it sits to low) but thats probably because I'm so used to non recessed bridges. And so far I really don't like the neck pickup, its pretty muddy sounding compared to the original blaze from the early 90's IMO.

So will I keep it? Im going to give it a week before I decide, I put my other guitars in their cases so I will try to only play this one so I can make a firm decision.

I really wish I still had my old 540R, sold it and kick myself for doing it.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Well all I had to do was loosen the neck bolts and pull the neck slightly forward and retighten the bolts ( I had to do this on my Charvel, the high e string was sitting right on the edge at the 22 fret).

This bridge feels weird (it sits to low) but thats probably because I'm so used to non recessed bridges. And so far I really don't like the neck pickup, its pretty muddy sounding compared to the original blaze from the early 90's IMO.

So will I keep it? Im going to give it a week before I decide, I put my other guitars in their cases so I will try to only play this one so I can make a firm decision.

I really wish I still had my old 540R, sold it and kick myself for doing it.
I got a poor man's RG type Yamaha superstrat and it had a recessed Floyd. At first I didn't see the big deal in the recessed thing until I had to play it for a long, sweaty gig. At least in that situation every tiny little thing in the name of ergonomics is amplified tenfold.

The regular, higher Floyd type bridges can sometimes get in the way and along with the volume knob (as on some superstrats), those awkward little things can make a difference.

It may not feel a whole lot different while sitting in the room playing but on stage, whoever came up with the idea of a recessed Floyd is a genius. It's one less thing to worry about and one can focus on playing without timing getting messed up from hitting bridge or throwing a string out of tune by accidentally hitting a fine tuner while strumming.

·
Banned
983 Posts
Well, that's how my adventure started :lol: Loosened the neck screws pulled the neck, re-tightened, and then on the first full trem pull up, dang, I heard the known noise coming from the neck join. The neck was moving in relation to the body.

Like blazer said, this bridge is a charm. IMHO better than both my old and rusty OFR floyds.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nice. I just received my UV70P having ordered it after having had GAS for it a while. Also my neck was not properly aligned so after having discussed with the store I bought it from it is now on its way by to the Ibanez country rep whom will do a proper check and as well after having fixed it do a set up to my liking. Seems the QC issues are known to involved parties. Good luck with yours!

Attachments

·
Banned
983 Posts
Tokyoroger, nice guitar! It is ultra fun to play. I can barely touch any of my 6-strings any more. If your swedish service shop know their job, your guitar will be fine. I didn't have this luck with Thomann and their ibanez service shop. They did a nice setup but never solved any of the real problems of the guitar. No more internet buying from me, especially from abroad.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey panix! Read your thread many times before I decided on going for a UV70P. Crafton, the country rep for Sweden, are very service oriented and even told me what I could do myself without impacting the warranty.

My last guitar, a JEM505, is also an internet buy. Found it new and dirt cheap in the UK so had to have it. No problem whatsoever with the purchase or delivery. The set-up was quite lame but I managed to on my own.

·
Banned
983 Posts
Hey Tokyoroger, then you are good to go!
Is it possible to send some pics of your bridge after the setup by Ibanez service? Also is it possible to measure sustain on high E on 23-24 frets? Thanx!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts