Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was one of those nostalgic fools who bought one of these when Eddie died, it wasn't due until 7th of December and then I got a tracking number yesterday.

It's a beautiful guitar but I've had a nightmare getting it set up. From replacing the cheese metal trem posts with Schaller ones, taking the neck off and replacing the factory shim to get the neck more tilted so I can have low action without the bridge rubbing the body and a still ongoing battle trying to keep the thing in tune without having to do a divebomb to zero every 45 seconds. Seriously considering setting it up like all my other Floyd guitars and just having it float, easy to keep it in tune that way.

The Basswood body is really on the soft side, even compared to Ibanez's. Thankfully the fretwork is beautiful and it sounds amazing, just getting it setup has been a pain, it seems absolutely zero time was budgeted for any kind of setup from the factory.

·
Super Moderator
7,443 Posts
I’ve actually been looking up the EBMMs online as that’s what I think of with EVH. I saw that Peavey are reissuing the Wolfgang under the name HP2 and having them ghost built here in Europe!!

And...

HNGD which is what I came here to post in the first place :)

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've actually been looking up the EBMMs online as that's what I think of with EVH. I saw that Peavey are reissuing the Wolfgang under the name HP2 and having them ghost built here in Europe!!

And...

I've never been huge on the Wolfgang really, and I've always loved Strats. I think maybe if the right Wolfgang type came along at the right price used maybe I'd consider it but they just don't get my juices flowing, maybe I need to play one to see if I like it. Not sure what are considered the best betweeen MM, Peavey and EVH but those early MM ones go for a lot.

Sorry about the setup frustrations.
I ended up just setting it up to float, it stays in tune now. I lose use of the D-tuna this way but I just don't know how to get around the issue.

·
Registered
797 Posts
...just getting it setup has been a pain, it seems absolutely zero time was budgeted for any kind of setup from the factory.
So, it's probably like the original guitar, therefore a pretty good replica :lol: :lol:. Ed was probably redoing the setup on it every gig, ha.

As you might know, back in the 80s, Ibanez too wanted some of the EVH/Kramer customer pie, so they offered a single hum (slanted, of course) Roadstar with Edge. I have a black one and vaguely contemplated at one point striping it but it was just a passing fancy.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Congrats on your new purchase! I was thinking of ordering one myself just for sentimental reasons because of the passing of Eddie. I do have a Meanstreet Frankenstein that was built some years ago. The so-called dummy pickup on mine works by the volume knob which is a push/pull. I like that idea which makes it a little more versatile. It does look pretty killer but I'm not to happy with the neck. Maybe I just need to have it professionally setup, but I'd still like to have one of those Mexican Franky's. Have fun and long live EVH!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Congrats on your new purchase! I was thinking of ordering one myself just for sentimental reasons because of the passing of Eddie. I do have a Meanstreet Frankenstein that was built some years ago. The so-called dummy pickup on mine works by the volume knob which is a push/pull. I like that idea which makes it a little more versatile. It does look pretty killer but I'm not to happy with the neck. Maybe I just need to have it professionally setup, but I'd still like to have one of those Mexican Franky's. Have fun and long live EVH!!!
Great job on that frankie! Push-pull pot to wire up the neck pickup is a great idea, I might explore that in future. I'm also thinking about putting a Tremol-no on mine, since I had some setup issues I was able to overcome by having the trem to float, but I miss that backstop functionality to use the D-tuna. If I say one thing about the EVH MIM Frankie, the neck is amazing and the guitar really has a lovely tone. If you do get an EVH Frankie though, you should budget a pro setup if you're not able to do it yourself, I'm very comfortable building/modifying and setting up guitars and I had some headaches with this.

The biggest concern is that the bridge height has to exactly spot on, if it's too high you have high action and a leaning back bridge (which will cause issues with the Dtuna), but if it's too low it will gouge into the body when you use it and the margins are pretty narrow.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I've actually been looking up the EBMMs online as that's what I think of with EVH. I saw that Peavey are reissuing the Wolfgang under the name HP2 and having them ghost built here in Europe!!

And...

I sold my EBMM EVH about 8 months ago.... Not to profiteer off my guitar hero's death, but watching that price jump on those really kinda slapped me down a little bit :-/

HP2's have been out for a while now; but I've found them to be more "beautiful" than "good". Hard to explain tbh.

Those striped series frankies are awesome looking, they certainly look the part; bummer to hear it was a pain to setup tho.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I've never been huge on the Wolfgang really, and I've always loved Strats. I think maybe if the right Wolfgang type came along at the right price used maybe I'd consider it but they just don't get my juices flowing, maybe I need to play one to see if I like it. Not sure what are considered the best betweeen MM, Peavey and EVH but those early MM ones go for a lot.

I ended up just setting it up to float, it stays in tune now. I lose use of the D-tuna this way but I just don't know how to get around the issue.
You can toss EVH wolfangs out of that conversation lol.

Ive a few of both the EBMM and Peavey iterations (including an EBMM EVH)... I can basically summarize it as... EBMM's play better, and Wolfgangs sound better. Its real dumb lol. Wolfgangs are much cheaper for some reason though, and they play great; Im just splitting hairs really. That said, I dunno what the deal is with the EVH, but the string spacing is bonkers and the strings are REALLLLLLLLLL close to the fretboard edge lol. I didnt enjoy mine. I think my wolfgangs are real pretty but they arent the figured ones; albeit i have owned a few of them. I think in general, the EBMM is the better average instrument, but the Wolfgang is usually a MUCH better value. Ive yet to play an EVH wolfgang that I appreciated.

I retopped an axis here, lost it in my house fire tho :-/ (EDIT: Oh yeah, Sterling Ball actually asked me to remove the headstock decal for it, thats why shes naked there).

·
Registered
64 Posts
You can toss EVH wolfangs out of that conversation lol.

Ive a few of both the EBMM and Peavey iterations (including an EBMM EVH)... I can basically summarize it as... EBMM's play better, and Wolfgangs sound better. Its real dumb lol. Wolfgangs are much cheaper for some reason though, and they play great; Im just splitting hairs really. That said, I dunno what the deal is with the EVH, but the string spacing is bonkers and the strings are REALLLLLLLLLL close to the fretboard edge lol. I didnt enjoy mine. I think my wolfgangs are real pretty but they arent the figured ones; albeit i have owned a few of them. I think in general, the EBMM is the better average instrument, but the Wolfgang is usually a MUCH better value. Ive yet to play an EVH wolfgang that I appreciated.

I retopped an axis here, lost it in my house fire tho :-/ (EDIT: Oh yeah, Sterling Ball actually asked me to remove the headstock decal for it, thats why shes naked there).

What I've always read about the EBMM EVH Signatures is that when they digitally copied the neck shape from the 5150 Kramer it had a worn-down spot on the treble side from the 12th fret on down - Ed evidently insisted that the necks on the prototypes weren't "right" until they bought the machinery to do the digital copy. At any rate you know how a normal neck widens slightly as you move from the nut to the heel, on the EVH the bass side widens like normal but the treble side either winds up not widening from the 12th to the 22nd or maybe even has a slight concave curve to it. They went to a "normal" tape on the treble side when it became the Axis after Ed left.

Evidently Peavey did not to that width thing - at least on the production models. I had a Wolfgang for about a year - fall of 1999 to fall of 2000 - and it was a cool guitar; in some respects I wish I had kept it longer but at the end of the day I moved it and a kind of mediocre LP Classic to fund a PRS Custom 22 (non-10 quilt top); the PRS didn't last much more than a year either.

My only foray into the Axis world was a SuperSport model with their MM90 pickups - I had the variation with the solid rosewood neck and rosewood top (instead of a maple top).

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
What I've always read about the EBMM EVH Signatures is that when they digitally copied the neck shape from the 5150 Kramer it had a worn-down spot on the treble side from the 12th fret on down - Ed evidently insisted that the necks on the prototypes weren't "right" until they bought the machinery to do the digital copy. At any rate you know how a normal neck widens slightly as you move from the nut to the heel, on the EVH the bass side widens like normal but the treble side either winds up not widening from the 12th to the 22nd or maybe even has a slight concave curve to it. They went to a "normal" tape on the treble side when it became the Axis after Ed left.

Evidently Peavey did not to that width thing - at least on the production models. I had a Wolfgang for about a year - fall of 1999 to fall of 2000 - and it was a cool guitar; in some respects I wish I had kept it longer but at the end of the day I moved it and a kind of mediocre LP Classic to fund a PRS Custom 22 (non-10 quilt top); the PRS didn't last much more than a year either.

My only foray into the Axis world was a SuperSport model with their MM90 pickups - I had the variation with the solid rosewood neck and rosewood top (instead of a maple top).
LOL I owned a green wolfgang too! I HATED it for some reason... it was super light, which I normally thing is a "desirable quality", but for some reason here it just made it feel "cheap"? Hard to explain really...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts