Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well late last year I acquired a 1985 Ibanez RG120. It had a horrible grounding problem and the Jack was worn out. Also the Push/Push pot that splits the humbucker wast working.

So I replaced the Jack and reflowed all the solder joints on all of the negative connections.

The Push/Push was loose in the pick guard and you couldn’t lower the knob enough to activate it.

There is a good gouge on the back, and a couple of small dings and pickguard scrapes on the top and PG.

This is now my fastest, easiest guitar to play I’ve ever owned. The fret heights are perfect, just enough height to feel the board a bit if you press hard. I can play this thing faster and with a lighter touch than my other 25 guitars.
Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument White

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very nice! How does that bridge handle whammy bar action? I know the older Ibanez bridges can be pretty finicky, never mind finding replacement parts.
I haven’t tested the whammy yet. I will get around to it later this evening. It’s a weird design. You put the strings in through the top.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
It's a 110 - single pu ;). Look's pretty clean, and even the original boomerang strap buttons, which people often get rid of. This model was only for the 1986 catalogue year. Pretty straight up guitar with all the usual Ibz woods. Plug and play.

Think the pu in these is a Super 70, but in the early 80s they stopped putting alnico 8 in them, and they got ceramics instead.

Interestingly, the Roadstars still had mediumish frets, while Prolines got the railroad tracks which the modern RG inherited.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
^^^Ashurbanipal has it right... RG110 w/Super 70. My first new guitar was a white one I bought in the summer of '87. Fantastic guitar!! Played like a dream, but you couldn't even LOOK at the tremolo bar or it would go out of tune. My fault probably because the first string change I put 10's on it and knew nothing about nut slots, I thought I needed them so I could be like Stevie Ray Vaughan. Sadly, I butchered the guitar body trying to make it "better", but still use the neck (on a strat body) and it plays as good as any guitar I own. If I could go back in time I'd block that trem and just play it!! Still have that pickup though... it's a hot one and splits pretty good!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah? Brave? I don’t know. I sure do like the guitar though. It needs a regrets soon, but other that that it is in excellent ++ condition. I do like to use the bar on it.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Totally, the Pro Rock'r is like a wild ass, will knock about your tuning if you're not careful ;).

I kinda feel Roadstars should have got slightly bigger frets from the factory. Are you thinking of keepin them medium or going bigger?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Totally, the Pro Rock'r is like a wild ass, will knock about your tuning if you're not careful ;).

I kinda feel Roadstars should have got slightly bigger frets from the factory. Are you thinking of keepin them medium or going bigger?
The green one didn’t have much in the way of frets to begin with. Medium wire from the factory. There is a little less meat on the frets now than Fender’s vintage size frets. And the previous owner ground em down. It will need new frets fairly soon if I play it.

The black one has some scratches front and back, but the frets have barely any wear in them. The fret size is medium, and it is the fastest playing neck out of all my guitars. I am going to keep the RG110 original, but when the frets are shot I will likely do bigger frets and a new nut.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

It would have been nice if they had used bigger frets to begin with. It will likely be a project for the coming winter to replace the frets.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Yeah, I'm with you there. I plan to do the same to my 525 (it's just about fretless wonder territory now, courtesy of whoever owned it before me).

Here's an interesting piece of lit, spec sheet for the fret wire they used back then (this is 1986, but I think RS frets remained the same). So, the RS fret is basically a medium jumbo (wide low per Stew Mac). Sorry about the small image, couldn't get a bigger one.
Rectangle Font Line Material property Technology

1 - 19 of 19 Posts