Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to try some Bare Knuckle pickups, and needed (wanted?!) an HSH vehicle for versatility ... my first electric was a S I bought back in '92 which remains a favourite.
I have a AZ too, but never an RG ... until now.
Build quality, Wizard neck, etc is all what I was looking for. Locking tremolo wasn't particularly, but having it would make a change in my options.

And here it is finally - ordered back in the autumn, pickups arrived around Xmas - and Bruno's coloured knobs arrived this morning to complete it.
BK Nailbombs front and back, and a Trinity single in the middle. I changed the wiring, put a push-pull to split the coils, taken from the DiMarzio pages (excellent resource!). And an Ibanez-copy trem-stop to stabilise the Edge for normal use.

It's a DELIGHT!
Some real bark to the bridge humbucker, rich stuff from the neck, and a chime from the single. 2 & 4 with and without split's have their own flavour, and the split bridge alone is nice. Tone & Volume roll-off worth dialling in as well. Haven't settled on pickup heights, but bridge a 'tad less than 2mm, neck more like 2.25mm, single a bit over 3mm seems to have some clarity and balance. Mainly played clean or just-broken rather than fully explored distortion options as yet, easier for me to assess changes in setup. The guitar body has the heft of my AZ, but the thin neck of my S, and the tone versatility of my AZ but perhaps with more bite? I'm wondering about the coil-splitting tone switch option on my S - which has DiMarzio Tone Zone/True Velvet/Air Norton - but that was far more fiddly to work on than the RG when I changed out the V's/S1 it had originally.

It played and sounded fine with the stock Ibanez's, but I bought it for the BK's ... and it seems like a great guitar for what it's cost. And ... it looks the part too, which is a bit of fun!

Yellow Terrestrial plant Rectangle Font Art

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is a new guitar ... bought specifically to be fitted with some BK pickups whose sounds come highly recommended... and early impressions are good. The middle Trinity has a chime to it that's good on its own, and mixes nicely with the Nailbomb humbuckers. Especially the bridge ... good when that is split too. Pleased with the push-pull coil-split tone knob I added.
So ... new sounds from a new guitar ... and making it look like a proper glam-metal guitar is a bit of extra fun ... even if I'm going to play ska punk on it ...

·
Registered
186 Posts
I love the aesthetic!

My preference is for mahogany RGs these days, but I did this to my rg921.
Musical instrument String instrument String instrument Guitar Plucked string instruments

I swapped the neck from an rg3xxv I got from rich and but in a set of breeds to match.

It is kinda scary to commit to an unheard set of pickups in specific colors. You never know if they're gonna work.
Where the heck would I use red/cream pickups?

Thankfully dimarzio is good like that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's got some elegance that my RG can't claim!

I certainly took a bit of a chance buying some coloured BK's without having heard them. I have made very few pickup changes ... most of my guitars I bought because they were what I wanted. The main exception is my 1993 S470 which I changed the Ibanez-own V & S to DiMarzio Tone Zone/True Velvet/Air Norton ... but that's a relatively well known "tried and trusted" option, that I had tried out on similar (but more prestigious) Ibanez's in shops.

So far, very pleased with the Nailbomb Trinity combination BK suggested after discussion of the guitar I planned and the stuff I wanted to play. They didn't suggest the coil split, but the DiMarzio wiring diagrams were copious with options and very clear. And like my AZ, I am finding very useable tone options from all 9 positions. And apparently different from what I have already... though there might be bias there...

With my eyes shut or in a darkened room I have an instrument that feels good to play, and is making inspiring sounds.
With the lights on ... it's probably not a thing of great beauty, but it's definitely worth a grin!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts