Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I hesitated for a while to put this one up due to much related content recently. But hey, everyone has his own experiences but foremost, happy new guitar day to me😉.

I was able to get mine at a local guitar store not far from my new office. So I visited the website which stated they had all the available juniors and was supposed to have all of them in stock. When I decided to pay a visit, I discovered there weren’t any models in the store at all. After talking to the owner, I discovered he meant in stock with the distributor…

We talked for a while and he offered me a good deal. He promised that he would make sure tot get a nice example. As I was hesitant towards getting a Junior, I wanted to try one first. So we negotiated a deal and if I didn’t like it, the deal was off.

About 2 weeks later, she arrived in the store. As i couldn’t wait, I went the next day. I was actually pretty amazed! It still deserved a set-up, as I do with any new guitar. I was mostly concerned if I would like the neck/fretboard/fretwork. I didn’t expect miracles, and I didn’t get one either but moneywise, it is a nice guitar.

enfin, I did some familiar mods already😉 and will likely do some more in the near future. I already have a DiMarzio HSH set coming in but that can take a while. Quite frankly I like the stock pickups to to about 8 on the volume pot, through my rig at least.

As I can confirm as well, the Gotoh ge1996t tremelo is a direct replacement and indeed make sure to get the 34mm included. I have the 37mm and cannot fit the backplate😉

Enough talk, here she is;

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument String instrument accessory

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument String instrument accessory

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument accessory String instrument Guitar accessory

Musical instrument String instrument Guitar String instrument accessory String instrument

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument Guitar accessory

·
Registered
36 Posts
Here's my PINK Jem Jr. Have added Evolutions, scalloped the last four frets, Gotoh bridge, painted the lion's claw(which didn't turn out the best but who cares, still like playing it) and did some sanding on the fret ends(not much). Guitar is actually a very good player and I love playing it.
Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument Plucked string instruments
Musical instrument Guitar Guitar accessory String instrument accessory Sleeve

·
Registered
714 Posts
Here's my PINK Jem Jr. Have added Evolutions, scalloped the last four frets, Gotoh bridge, painted the lion's claw(which didn't turn out the best but who cares, still like playing it) and did some sanding on the fret ends(not much). Guitar is actually a very good player and I love playing it.
View attachment 19550 View attachment 19551
Looks great. How's the paint on the inside of the monkey grip? Did you have a wet sand at all? Mine's quite rough and I'm debating whether to bother trying to sand it smoother or not. Not sure how thick a layer there is to mess with.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Looks great. How's the paint on the inside of the monkey grip? Did you have a wet sand at all? Mine's quite rough and I'm debating whether to bother trying to sand it smoother or not. Not sure how thick a layer there is to mess with.
I don't think it's bad. Feels o.k., it's not butter smooth but no 80 grit sandpaper either. I've had two Jem Jr's(Pink and White, white was a pile and I got it off craiglist for $250 for parts), had the Jem 7VP(premium) and the Jem77BFP(premium) and the old Jem7DBK. Of all the Jem's I've had the blue floral premium had the most silky smooth finish. Monkey grip was like silk, lion's claw didn't have a blemish, and the blue floral was very vibrant and just popped.

Like most Jem's it just didn't jive with me. My pink one has and it's probably because of the work I've put into it. I'm more of a Stratocaster or JS player. I haven't found a JS guitar that I didn't like and that includes the several 100's I owned.

It's funny that I don't jive with Jem's but I do with Universe's. I've had two Universe's and loved them to death. I don't miss very many guitars I've sold in the the past, but my 1999 Universe is one of my few regrets I do have selling.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts