Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I almost missed this Ibanez RG3250 FOR. But pics first

In fact I asked a different seller for another guitar initially. The color on that is somewhat similar to this, but I never saw it in person so I actually can't tell....

As I was waiting for that guitar to arrive, being very anxious for it, I coincidentally told a member on one of these boards that I was getting the guitar. He response was "oh, is it the guitar you saw on...?". And I was like "yes, that's the guitar." Then he broke the bad news to me. The guitar was already bought, he bought it, found out that it was repainted (terribly), and had a nut crack the seller didn't mention anything of. He even sent me the photos he took to file his claim and finally return the guitar back to the seller.

So we found out that we were talking about the same seller, and I just asked our local post office to return it once it arrived. I wish the seller notified me of these issues when we spoke over the phone. It's not at all a good idea to be buying impulsive online.

The same week another seller put this RG3250 FOR up online. I had to convince him to ship it to Toronto. He agreed. I was really happy to see it packed like a pro. The seller even covered shipping as a Christmas gift!

Came with all the good stuff and the manual. Everything's in perfect condition. The pickguard has pick scrapes if you look under correct lighting. One of the stud lock screws were stuck... I had to take it out and start a thread here to release that jam. Thanks guys. I'm very happy with this guitar. The pics never come out good with a phone like mine. Orange is one of my favorite colors and love maple boards. It's a really good purchase for me.

Thanks and have a fantastic year end!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Coopster, I never imagined I'd ever see any of these in my own hands. This year I played a desert yellow for a bit, a superb color. But I sold that towards this as orange is personal favourite. I never imagined I'd be able to get my hands on this one either. Always looked at the pics, and turned away thinking I'd never find one. But I did!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Coopster, I never imagined I'd ever see any of these in my own hands. This year I played a desert yellow for a bit, a superb color. But I sold that towards this as orange is personal favourite. I never imagined I'd be able to get my hands on this one either. Always looked at the pics, and turned away thinking I'd never find one. But I did!
Did you end up selling the desert yellow locally (kijiji)?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep. That was a fantastic guitar. Unklpunk set it up really well in terms of fret end polishing, truss rod adjustments, and the intonation was great. I keep looking at the pictures I took of it. I really couldn't tell you why I sold that guitar, and in fact, I took down the ad. In the process a guy got in touch and he was interested, but I wasn't keen on selling it anymore. He really wanted the guitar though, I and gave him the shot to call it or not. He agreed, bought it. Made me regret my decision a little. I forgot why I bought such a bright color at the first place. It's a big FU to any convention, something I need in my life right now. I realized it back when the guitar was in his hands. I got almost the same amount I got the guitar for.

This RG3250 FOR wasn't set up like Unklpunk's DY. I needed to adjust the studs as well as the intonation. The fret ends aren't polished, but the fretboard still feels great without the binding. Got it setup. It plays just as well. I'm really grateful to have a neon back in just 2 -3 weeks. Love this instrument absolutely.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yep. That was a fantastic guitar. Unklpunk set it up really well in terms of fret end polishing, truss rod adjustments, and the intonation was great. I keep looking at the pictures I took of it. I really couldn't tell you why I sold that guitar, and in fact, I took down the ad. In the process a guy got in touch and he was interested, but I wasn't keen on selling it anymore. He really wanted the guitar though, I and gave him the shot to call it or not. He agreed, bought it. Made me regret my decision a little. I forgot why I bought such a bright color at the first place. It's a big FU to any convention, something I need in my life right now. I realized it back when the guitar was in his hands. I got almost the same amount I got the guitar for.

This RG3250 FOR wasn't set up like Unklpunk's DY. I needed to adjust the studs as well as the intonation. The fret ends aren't polished, but the fretboard still feels great without the binding. Got it setup. It plays just as well. I'm really grateful to have a neon back in just 2 -3 weeks. Love this instrument absolutely.
I like the orange better too. It's still "in your face" but more subtle! It's funny that you got to basically swap the exact same guitar, just different colours. This one looks like excellent condition too. Nice! Did it end up costing you the same?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like the orange better too. It's still "in your face" but more subtle! It's funny that you got to basically swap the exact same guitar, just different colours. This one looks like excellent condition too. Nice! Did it end up costing you the same?
Yep, that's exactly what I did. :razz: I hardly see these on kijiji or other sites. The DY wasn't even on the market. Unklpunk wasn't even planning on selling it initially, but months later when I got back to him, he agreed. And the only other RG3250 I found on kijiji, is with me now, heh.

It cost almost the same, a difference of $1000 +/-.

awesome axe!
Thanks a lot & Happy New Year!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, I wish I had a stage! haha.

I don't mind the trem. I've been practicing, but I need to integrate trem use much more. I've always had floating bridges because of it's tuning stability.

However, the trem feels a little tough, it could be because I'm using 10-46s. Is it something you get used to, or do you actually prefer 9-42s for trem use on licks and phrases?

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Yes, I wish I had a stage! haha.

I don't mind the trem. I've been practicing, but I need to integrate trem use much more. I've always had floating bridges because of it's tuning stability.

However, the trem feels a little tough, it could be because I'm using 10-46s. Is it something you get used to, or do you actually prefer 9-42s for trem use on licks and phrases?
The reason it's so tight is the Tension bar that's part of the Zero point system. It's a much tighter trem that your typical OFR/OE/LP, which prevents fluttering and stuff. I actually prefer the looser feel of the OFR/OE/LP for my bridges, jsut feels easier to control than that stiff Edge Zero.

However, if you take out the tension bar, it does loosen up quite a bit and feels more like a regular floating trem and not so stiff. If you think it's a bit too stiff, take out that tension bar.

·
Registered
323 Posts
The reason it's so tight is the Tension bar that's part of the Zero point system. It's a much tighter trem that your typical OFR/OE/LP, which prevents fluttering and stuff. I actually prefer the looser feel of the OFR/OE/LP for my bridges, jsut feels easier to control than that stiff Edge Zero.

However, if you take out the tension bar, it does loosen up quite a bit and feels more like a regular floating trem and not so stiff. If you think it's a bit too stiff, take out that tension bar.
Yeah. If you're more into tuning stability, keep the stopper in the back. If you're more into using the trem and a more traditional trem feel, take the stopper out. Just like the OE/LP/EP bridges, tuning stability should be pretty good without the stopper, but I think the biggest benefit of the stopper on the EZ is when doing bends and double bends, and just returning to "absolute zero" all the time. I prefer it with the stopper out myself, more fluid trem feel and with the EZ's screw-in-type bar there's tons of flutter. With the stopper out, it's not as stiff, but still a little stiffer than my guitars with OE/LP/EP. I'm the opposite of Matias, I actually find it easier to control pitches with the slightly stiffer EZ trem over my LP for example. I prefer the OE/LP/EP for other reasons though :D

For people with an EZ who don't really use trem's but don't block them either, the stopper is a plus IMO.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Yeah. If you're more into tuning stability, keep the stopper in the back. If you're more into using the trem and a more traditional trem feel, take the stopper out. Just like the OE/LP/EP bridges, tuning stability should be pretty good without the stopper, but I think the biggest benefit of the stopper on the EZ is when doing bends and double bends, and just returning to "absolute zero" all the time. I prefer it with the stopper out myself, more fluid trem feel and with the EZ's screw-in-type bar there's tons of flutter. With the stopper out, it's not as stiff, but still a little stiffer than my guitars with OE/LP/EP. I'm the opposite of Matias, I actually find it easier to control pitches with the slightly stiffer EZ trem over my LP for example. I prefer the OE/LP/EP for other reasons though :D

For people with an EZ who don't really use trem's but don't block them either, the stopper is a plus IMO.
I dunno, I just like the OE/LP feel. That's not to say I hate the EZ (I had 2 prestiges before with them as my first introduction to floating trems), but I like the looser feel for some reason. I don't hate the EZ though, I just prefer not to have it :lol:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Despite all the hate / mixed reviews, I think the features of the EZ trem system are cool, and Ibanez had a cool idea making it easier for the average guitar player, by having:
-The wheel in the back (no more screwdrivers!)
-Stopper for tuning stability
-Screw-in-type arm. Don't need to add paper or tape to the bar anymore to make it tight. The EZ tight arm is really responsive for fluttering. BUT some people prefer the swinging arm over a tight arm. The older trems can be modded too.
-A really nice feature is the intonation tool (although they probably should have kept the tool in the case rather than making it look like a wart on the bridge). Saves a ton of time for the average player when intonating.

I like the slightly stiffer feel of the EZ with the stopper out, to me it feels fine, but that's just personal preference. If I dive bomb down an octave for example, I don't have to push the bar down so close to the guitar's body, whereas on my RG with LP, I have to push down so far (tighter springs should fix that though!).

What I dislike about the EZ is:
-The wart (placement of the intonation tool - how often do we really use it?)
-The tiny sustain block b/c of the EZ system - Some say it affects sustain, however, when comparing to my other RGs I haven't really noticed a difference (especially with a high gain channel)
-The screw-in knob that you tighten the arm with kind of gets in my way of the volume knob. I also dislike the little plastic piece in there, it always seem to move around on me when taking out the bar and I have to unscrew the knob and set it back in place.
-The manufacturing of it - It hasn't happened to me yet, but I've seen so many EZs that are rusting and oxidizing, especially the fine tuners and screw-in knob. I'm not sure if these people aren't taking care of their guitars, or if the EZs are made of cheaper metals. But, people have had RGs with OE/LP/EP for so many years without much rusting, pitting, oxidizing, etc. I've heard that EZs are manufactured in China, rather than Japan like the OE/LP/EP? I'm not sure about this though or if it even makes a difference, I could be wrong.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Despite all the hate / mixed reviews, I think the features of the EZ trem system are cool, and Ibanez had a cool idea making it easier for the average guitar player, by having:
-The wheel in the back (no more screwdrivers!)
-Stopper for tuning stability
-Screw-in-type arm. Don't need to add paper or tape to the bar anymore to make it tight. The EZ tight arm is really responsive for fluttering. BUT some people prefer the swinging arm over a tight arm. The older trems can be modded too.
-A really nice feature is the intonation tool (although they probably should have kept the tool in the case rather than making it look like a wart on the bridge). Saves a ton of time for the average player when intonating.

I like the slightly stiffer feel of the EZ with the stopper out, to me it feels fine, but that's just personal preference. If I dive bomb down an octave for example, I don't have to push the bar down so close to the guitar's body, whereas on my RG with LP, I have to push down so far (tighter springs should fix that though!).

What I dislike about the EZ is:
-The wart (placement of the intonation tool - how often do we really use it?)
-The tiny sustain block b/c of the EZ system - Some say it affects sustain, however, when comparing to my other RGs I haven't really noticed a difference (especially with a high gain channel)
-The screw-in knob that you tighten the arm with kind of gets in my way of the volume knob. I also dislike the little plastic piece in there, it always seem to move around on me when taking out the bar and I have to unscrew the knob and set it back in place.
-The manufacturing of it - It hasn't happened to me yet, but I've seen so many EZs that are rusting and oxidizing, especially the fine tuners and screw-in knob. I'm not sure if these people aren't taking care of their guitars, or if the EZs are made of cheaper metals. But, people have had RGs with OE/LP/EP for so many years without much rusting, pitting, oxidizing, etc. I've heard that EZs are manufactured in China, rather than Japan like the OE/LP/EP? I'm not sure about this though or if it even makes a difference, I could be wrong.
My old 1550 had oxidation on the fine tuners after having the guitar for about a year. It had been sitting in the shop for about a year and a half when I got it so by that point it was a 2 1/2 year old guitar.

You're right about the LP/OE as well. My 1990 RG560 (which has a non-stock Lo pro, should be an OE) hasn't oxidized at all. I have no idea how long the LP has been in there but it's in really good shape. Same with my RG5000's OE.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The fact that double stops sound so much more in tune than other floating bridges, is a huge plus. It's not necessary to learn how to bend both strings to pitch the way Steve Vai does when u have the EZ. I mean that's another skill to practice over and over. EZ is great there, but again it's not going to be 100% to pitch with double stops since it is still floating.

The wheel system at the back is another fantastic feature. I'm always worried when tightening/loosening the screws to adjust the spring tension on other bridge systems that in case the screw could destroy the wood/thread. I'm not sure if that has happened to anyone ever though.

I just read that EZ's base unit (or chasis) was made of a softer material than the OE/LP bridges. However, I doubt it could break that easily. I suppose down the road, 15 - 20 years by that, the guitar would need a new bridge anyways.

I played a rg 1991, but really, that was a very solid instrument with the black OE.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
^ it could also be phsycological, as that guitar had 11-52s, setup with 4 springs. Could also be the heel joint, and the solid feel because of it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts