Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, it's not the RG8527... But it IS a J-Custom, and it has 7 strings...

I tried that (8527) at the shop, and honestly, it sort of underwhelmed me after trying this one instead. Not sure if this is sold out of Japan, but I picked it up there in Shinjuku last week, and this was awesome.

Here are some pics:

Yes, there ARE 7 strings:

Tree Of Life in 7 string guise:

And here it is... an RRG8BX. I think that stands for Black onyx? Complete with EMG 707s and a nice light 2 piece ASH body...

Faux binding... nicely done...

Here's the cert:

And here's a nice little case candy I didn't know about:

Straplocks, Springs and a set-up tool??? Wow!!!

Honestly, I was surprised to like the EMGs compared to the 8527... The guitar sounded lively, and sweet even! just very articulate, and piano-like. I might go for the 707tws so I can do the split thingie... Dunno yet... Probabably just want to play around with it a bit more first...

I'll see if I can get a shot this weekend with my JPX7!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Sweet!
I had an 8527 that came to me with emgs in it and surprisingly , it sounded great.
Give them a chance before yanking them you may be surprised (and I am by no means an EMG fan)

·
Registered
806 Posts
Wow! Great find! That looks like a custom and very limited RRG run! Probably 1 of 5 or 6 of them.....

Envious and jealous right now! Ash body! Nice!

How much did you get it for?

Well done!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I sure hope those EMG's came in there. . . . .
Yes they did... That's why I went for this instead of the 8527.

that is one sweet axe, although i would swap out the pickups for the petrucci set. But, i am a fanboy. Haha
Why? When I already have this:

Sweet!
I had an 8527 that came to me with emgs in it and surprisingly , it sounded great.
Give them a chance before yanking them you may be surprised (and I am by no means an EMG fan)
I do like them. I'd just want the same thing, but splittable... that required the 707tw instead of the usual 707...

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Wow! Great find! That looks like a custom and very limited RRG run! Probably 1 of 5 or 6 of them.....
Correct!!! 1 of a run of 6 made for Rock Inn.

That is a stunning J Custom, love the way you can see the Ash Grain through the Black Onyx finish!! Congratz!!!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Correct!!! 1 of a run of 6 made for Rock Inn.

That is a stunning J Custom, love the way you can see the Ash Grain through the Black Onyx finish!! Congratz!!!!
I did get it from Rock Inn. They had 2 pieces in stock at that store. Maybe I should've bought both? Dammit!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
As long as they came with them, then I'm fine :)

Routing a J.Custom for EMG's is a sin in my book. And I'm not even religious! But if it came like that from Ibanez, then It's not a sin, just stupid ;)

·
Registered
2,878 Posts

Routing a J.Custom for EMG's is a sin in my book. And I'm not ever religious! But if it came like that from Ibanez, then It's not a sin, just stupid ;)
Lol, I agree with this. I had an opportunity to snatch a 1527 Prestige with OHSC at a local store for only 700$. Not sure why I turned it down except for the fact it had some EMGs put in it :/ .
[OT]On the other hand, I still may have wanted to snatch it. But if I got that, I wouldn't have my 520QS, so, I guess I have no real regrets. [/OT]

Fantastic score!!!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Routing a J.Custom for EMG's is a sin in my book. And I'm not ever religious! But if it came like that from Ibanez, then It's not a sin, just stupid ;)
Ah... To each his own. I'm not an EMG lover, but I was looking for a guitar with EMGs specifically, in 7 strings. But the schecters were horrible. This one was really nice. I have other guitars that have passive pups. This is the only EMG guitar I have and I love it!

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
I SERIOUSLY have to quit looking at this thread..............

that is SUCH a nice guitar Whitestrat........I'm truly jealous....:mrgreen:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How do the two of those compare? Quality, playability, craftsmanship?
The JPX7 is still the better guitar in terms of the build quality, construction sturdiness and response. It sustains better, sings better and responds to touch better than the RRG8. The JPX also is more versatile. It's got 5 tones instead of 3 on the Ibby. It's got a fantastic piezo system. The only thing I wish I could have on the JPX7 to make it the perfect guitar would be the neck profile of the Ibby, and the Tree-Of-Life inlay, and possibly the ash body.

Here's what the neck profile would be like in pics: (excuse the horrible iphone pics... this was done in a rush...)

JPX & RRG @ 3rd fret

Both are relatively C shaped, though the RRG is a little more D. But you don't feel that much of a difference here in profile, except that the RRG is noticably thicker. (haven't gotten round to measure them...)

JPX & RRG @ 12th fret

The difference at the 12th fret is getting apparent. The JPX retains it's C shape, and just widens out a tad. The RRG on the other hand, flattens out quite a bit.

JPX & RRG neck shoulder

This is where it's most obvious. The JPX, not only being thinner, has a lot less shoulder than the RRG. The RG's shoulders are very pronouced, and that's a hefty handful, on a 7, and especially considering it is the thicker neck between the 2.

The RRG's finish is smooth, and satin-like, but I don't know what it'll be like after a while with hours and hours of playing. I know my old Ibbys became glossed after a while, and got a bit sticky when damp. The JPX, though finished, is incredibly smooth, and is probably not going to change with time, making it much more consistent.

One more thing: Look at this pic carefully:

The RRG seems to have a narrower nut compared to the JPX, but that could be the binding. However, look at the 24th fret for both, and you'll notice that the JPX tapers less, but the RRG has a more triangular shape to the whole neck.

The Ibby is a great guitar, but I bought it mainly to have EMGs in a 7 string guise (which I'm surprisingly liking VERY much!), and to hang on to my childhood memories of owning an Ibanez, and a J-Custom at that! I was Ibanez-free for almost 5 years, and just wanted to have one back. The fact that it's an Ash body (which makes GREAT tone) and it's limited to 6 pieces in production is a bonus.

But if I were to choose? No contest. JPX7 anytime...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts