Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I first saw these advertised it was love at first sight, so I finally managed to pony up the cash for a j.custom RG8550MZ in bright brown rutile from the land of the rising sun.

Quick side question: Is it my imagination or is the j.custom case better constructed than the team j.craft cases we see here in the US?

Anyway, enough nonsense - here she is in all her maple fretboard goodness:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Oh my that is simply gorgeous, a true work of art! That's a real-deal AANJ, almost looks like its a neck-through it's so perfect!

On the bridge, there is that little thumbscrew where they would usually punch out for a left-handed trem arm. Is that the same mod that Herman Li has on many of his personal guitars? Where you can sort of "set" how far up the bar will pull?

If so, that's really awesome that Ibanez decided to utilize his/their idea for production models. The thumbscrew seems much easier and practical than what appears to be a trem stud that they are using on Herman's guitar

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The tone is definitely a little "warmer" than your standard basswood body RG. I haven't played it a huge amount as work has gotten in the way, but so far it plays beautifully as you would expect and feels every bit the high-end guitar.

The thumbscrew on the left of the bridge is actually the intonation tool for the edge zero trems. You unscrew it all the way to remove it from the bridge, then screw it in to back of each saddle. With the saddle loose, you can turn the tool to pull the saddle back in a controlled manner.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Congrats!
I am not a fan of that tree of life thing, but that is one very nice looking guitar!
That color must be the nicest one Ibanez ever used.
Super sexy stuff for sure.

I think I would prefer it without the pickguard.

/Magnus

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
When I first saw these advertised it was love at first sight, so I finally managed to pony up the cash for a j.custom RG8550MZ in bright brown rutile from the land of the rising sun.

Quick side question: Is it my imagination or is the j.custom case better constructed than the team j.craft cases we see here in the US?

Anyway, enough nonsense - here she is in all her maple fretboard goodness:
AWESOME SCORE :D Happy NGD! :D

I played the red one at Ishibashi Shibuya back in August, I loved that guitar, I just wish I had the money to buy it :lol: I think the red one looks nicer, but these are FANTASTIC J customs.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice! Maple and vine is just awesome! Any additional tax duties or did you order from a U.S. dealer?
Thanks all for the positive responses!

To answer the question above, the guitar was ordered direct from www.ikebe-gakki.com. In this case it was shipped via EMS, and there were no additional taxes or duties assessed. However, I gather that you can't count on there being no customs duties - it seems to be somewhat random whether they get assessed or not. Perhaps it depends on who the shipment gets handed off to once it hits the US. In my case, the USPS handled the continental delivery portion.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts