Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Back in '87 my guitar fell head down to the floor and broke the head completely. After crying my eyes out I went to the next store to buy a new guitar. I wanted a yellow JEM but there was none available. In addition I really couldn't afford it back then. So I ended up with a RG550RF which I still own and love.

When the 30th came out last year I was tempted but also shocked about the price level. I didn't buy one. Now 1 1/2 years later I had the chance to get one of the last available 777s for a very good price and luckily the wife was ok with it and gave me the go. :grin2:

So I bought the guitar of my early dreams, the JEM777DY 30th ann.

And I am very, very impressed. Ok, the setup wasn't that optimum, the frets lost their shine and the strings were corroded as it was produced 15 month ago (QC-card says 17-04-17). The little locking screws inside the trem posts were completely loose for many, many turns. But after putting on my Ray Ban and setting up this beauty I am overwhelmed! The grain on the fretboard is very nice and even. Parallel grain in almost even distance. Only one little imperfection over the whole board.

The neck is a tad thicker then the one on my 7VWH but it feels great and plays beautifully. I never thought that I could fall in love with the pyramids so much! I love the tree-of-life very much but this neon pyramids are awesome. While playing they really scream out the positions on the fretboard! The sound is very roaring and it is a hell of a fun playing her!

A year ago I saw a DY in a store hanging on a wall 2,5 meters high and with the artificial light the yellow wasn't very neon like. But now at home under daylight it totally screams and the fluorescence is breathtaking! I love the 777DY!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The only irregularity on the fretboard on the 3rd fret but it doesn't bother me. It is wood anyway and mother nature wanted it to look like this... :wink2:

I find it very amazing how loud my 777 is. Among all my guitars this is by far the loudest one played unplugged.
I'd be interested if any 777 owner could confirm this...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congrats...she is beautiful!

I just picked up my first Jem 2 weeks ago...a 1987 DY (serial# 870xxx) :)
Congrats!

I have an RG550 from 87 and it sounds amazing. There's something about that old wood...

Is yours as lite as the anniversary ones? They are about 3200 gramms - at least mine is...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Congrats!

I have an RG550 from 87 and it sounds amazing. There's something about that old wood...

Is yours as lite as the anniversary ones? They are about 3200 gramms - at least mine is...[/QUOT

Mine is about 3600 grams...and i'm madly in love with it LOL <3

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just re-reading this thread...the grain on your fretboard IS very nice! And that imperfection at the 3rd fret looks like Steve is blasting out a message from inside of his pyramid LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts