Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings friends,

I recently found this JEM that had one of those mods made to it by fernandes in Japan before it was sold new.

I actually bought this about two months ago on eBay for $2k (!) but it had already sold in a store somewhere. I had a gut feeling it would show back up and it did, on a semi secret site for $500 more than original.

As a sustainer fiend I had to have it- It’s currently serving as a backup to my scalloped ‘FLO iii’ replica. I may or may not scallop it, and may or may not swap the original edge for a lo pro. The sustainer was installed perfectly, and while not as open to input in terms of audio artifact (hard to explain), it’s super reliable and bulletproof.
I’ll play it sparingly to keep it in good shape.

I had to Swap the studs back to Ibanez ones (not sure why they were swapped) and the knobs back to strat knobs. Also pictured is one of a bunch of custom titanium/aluminum bars a friend of mine made me, like the prototype UTA bar from back in the day. Super light and slick, unlike the UTA

One more special white one coming soon, it rhymes with ‘grow’ ;)

then I’ll rest my collection for a while
Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument Musician

Musical instrument Guitar Guitar accessory Textile Fashion

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument Musical instrument accessory

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument Plucked string instruments

Musical instrument Musician Guitar String instrument String instrument

Musical instrument Photograph White Guitar Light

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Incredible collection!!! Those studs look like gotoh studs... Maybe they were all the person had lying around and they installed a new bridge?? 🤷 Or... They liked the all gold look lol. How do you like the Guthrie charvel?
thank you, yea I think it was probably for the look.
The guthrie is actually my main player and practicer, it’s just that good. For anything non metal, I gravitate toward it. The non fine tuner locking bridge situation means my wrist gets to be exactly where it wants to be when I’m picking. I can get away with that no problem on an Ibanez with an edge pro, and close enough with a lo pro- but the OE is just in the way. I’m actually excited Steve replaced the edge in his evo with a lo pro that way I can change mine and play it!

The strandberg is my main writing guitar

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^^ Oho, going the all out authentic route!
Yes, that’s part of the charm.
Was going to go the whole route of true temperament on a custom neck, however I’m not sure it’s worth it as my favorite era was just the normal neck.
I’ve got a NOS 5pc jem neck for it that’ll suffice

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What would you recommend then if not available
i wouldn’t

unless the custom made sustainiacs for vai became available.

That’s why I’m buying up as many old sustainers as I can. At this point I have/will have so many sustainer guitars I won’t need another.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I decided to throw the lo pro in there and I will be getting it scalloped.

not sure if I’ll give the neck an oil finish, but it’s how I prefer virtually all necks.
I also recently loctite’d (blue) all the trem arm barrels- I don’t know why I didn’t do this years ago.
I honestly want to do a mass sale of all my edge bridges to swap them all out for lo pros, but who knows..
Musical instrument Musician String instrument White String instrument

1 - 9 of 9 Posts