Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been meaning to post this for a while, but every time I think about doing it I pick up the guitar and play it instead! Just got this last week and don't have words to express how much I love it. The design choices and aesthetics are certainly not for everyone, but I like just about every last detail. I'm even warming to the ornate PUP covers.

After a lot of shopping around I found a bargain. I picked this up used, in mint condition, and I don't think it had been played much, if at all. The original strings were still on there with no visible wear. Either the factory or the prior owner set it up perfectly. I normally spend a couple/few hours dialing in the setup, but this one didn't need anything. The only work I've done was to swap in locking tuners.

A few of my favorite features are the body contours, which are very strat-like where it counts, a rounded version of the JEM/RG on the upper edges that perfectly fits my body and picking arm; the neck profile, thin but with more shoulder than other high-end Ibanez necks I've played; the responsive and balanced PUPs; and, to my surprise, the ultralite trem arm. I'd never tried a carbon fiber trem arm and figured it was a gimmick, but this thing is amazing! This guitar is completely in sync with my preferences, feel, and style. I've never felt so inspired to create music by an instrument before. I alternate between plugging it in to play and just standing here staring at it as a work of art.

I'd never seen one in person before buying this, but what I read/heard in so many reviews is true: This looks better in person, pics don't really do it justice. The white pearl paint and the PIA blossom inlays really pop up close. Weather hasn't permitted decent outdoor pics yet, but I took a couple inside. Note to self: don't wear an orange shirt when photographing a guitar...

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument Plucked string instruments

Brown Musical instrument Guitar Guitar accessory String instrument

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congrats guy. I may need to try one someday. How do like the carbon whammy bar? I stil have one more Jem to buy, but if the right deal comes along I might get a PI.
I love the "ultralite" carbon fiber trem arm. I figured it was a gimmick, but it's outstanding. If I had another guitar with an Edge or compatible trem, I'd actually buy that arm for it.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I love the "ultralite" carbon fiber trem arm. I figured it was a gimmick, but it's outstanding. If I had another guitar with an Edge or compatible trem, I'd actually buy that arm for it.
‘If I can get the arm separately, I just might have to get a couple. I have 2 guitars with the edge (my RG550 and my Premium Jem).

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Rich doesn't seem to have any in stock. There are a handful on eBay, shipping out of Japan. Ibanez isn't making it easy to get these!
I just read about that arm. It supposedly reduces flutter, which is something I do a lot on purpose. So I guess it wouldn’t be for me. And they are crazy expensive. Would like to Try one but not at 70 dollars.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Yes it's mine, and just as easy as the regular one i'd assume. I've broken 2 or 3 over the last 10 years or so, one being an ultralite. They always break right above the top bushing where it's the thinnest and most stressed. Anyway, not to derail any further...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.