Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NGD (Red Puzzle Top Content)

I picked up this NOS puzzler several months back but I don't believe I ever got around to posting up a thread here. I keep going through Ibanez phases where I think I'm not into them any more, but then again, the necks are just soooo comfy on aging wrists like mine that I fall back in line lol.

The cool back story on this one is that it's not just one of the limited run puzzlers from '06, this one in particular was custom ordered for Will Hunt, current drummer with Evanescence (and he's also played with Motley Crue and Black Label Society) as supposedly he wanted different pickups (these came stock with Ibanez pups I believe). But I 'heard' he briefly fell on tough times and sold off some stuff he'd rather not have, including this baby that he never got a chance to play. Enter my good local friend who happens to own his own boutique shop and has great connections in the bizz...and well, she's mine now lol!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks brothers! It probably is the 'prettiest' axe I've ever owned...and the build quality is right up there too. In fact I got to play it right alongside a beautiful blue J.Custom (not sure on the model) and honestly, they felt identical. Life is good!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again all! It's actually NOS, dorian, from '06, basically untouched (until now, I've already recorded three tunes with it lol)...and yeah, pretty rare from what I understand, only 80 of each three flavors were made for that limited namm run of 2006, so I was tickled to be able to nab one in such pristine condition so many years later (always thought they looked cool but figured I'd never have one).

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks opencoke! Rafafas has it right...alternating individual pieces of quilt/flame maple top on a mahogany body. It's a unique look, that's for sure, but what sold me on it was the sounds, it's a toneful axe (I hate saying toneful - but it works lol), it's well balanced sonically.

Here's one more angle that might better show what those quilt/flame pieces look like. And there's no glossy coating/finish either, which I like because it's already pretty sharp as is, a high sheen, glaze-y finish might've pushed it into "gaudy" territory and I tend to like guitars that are not so over the top looking.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks opencoke! Rafafas has it right...alternating individual pieces of quilt/flame maple top on a mahogany body. It's a unique look, that's for sure, but what sold me on it was the sounds, it's a toneful axe (I hate saying toneful - but it works lol), it's well balanced sonically.

Here's one more angle that might better show what those quilt/flame pieces look like. And there's no glossy coating/finish either, which I like because it's already pretty sharp as is, a high sheen, glaze-y finish might've pushed it into "gaudy" territory and I tend to like guitars that are not so over the top looking.

THAT DETAIL. :eek:

·
Registered
275 Posts
i've been gasing for a puzzletop for many years already. never really got the chance to seriously consider buying one. love that top. enjoy.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Thanks again gents for checking out "the puzzler" (Riddler's law abiding brother lol). FWIW, here's a new tune of mine showing this guitar has the TONES to go with the looks (I used a few guitars actually, the ones shown are the ones I tracked those parts with, so the Ibanez is all the leads, etc). Enjoy!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Thanks again gents for checking out "the puzzler" (Riddler's law abiding brother lol). FWIW, here's a new tune of mine showing this guitar has the TONES to go with the looks (I used a few guitars actually, the ones shown are the ones I tracked those parts with, so the Ibanez is all the leads, etc). Enjoy!

Nice tune Kabala! and that Puzzler sure looks great with all those beautiful guitars you have.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts