Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, another NGD! I'm addicted to these things now! I found this 1990 RG560 (F03****** serial) on the bay for a price I thought reasonable and had to pull the trigger. Also, the coin flip told me it was the right thing to do (2 of 3, heads goes ahead and buys). I believe that it is Grape Ice, if I am wrong please correct me.

UPS man knocked on the door about 5:30 today, then it was in pieces by 6. Unboxed first impression: slack tuned with 5 strings, in a case with one butterfly latch, dirty, smelly, but still cool!

I used mildly soapy water to clean the body and the rag came away a stained/grungy yellow. This was nowhere near as grungy as Hub's 550 originally was! Fretboard was oily and nasty, but it cleaned up with soapy water and and a toothbrush. It has some finish crazing in the clear, a few nicks/dings, but no neck joint cracks or cracks at the nut hex bolts. The Edge is in excellent shape, frets have plenty of life left, and the neck is in great shape with a beautiful piece of rosewood glued to a super nice piece wizard shaped maple. Strap buttons were not original and set with drywall screws... I removed the cat hair from all of the cavities as the general forum consensus is that it totally drains sustain and tone. It is missing the pressure pads and allen screws for the nut, but actually came with a bar for the edge.

2.5 hours later... Got it strung back up with EXL120's and eyeballed a setup of where I like things to be. The springs feel a bit stiff, as it is not as easy to bend as my other RG's, but that will probably work itself out. Plugged her in, made some adjustments, and she sounds/plays great even with the stock V8 and S1's.

Now for some crappy cell pics, my sincere apologies:

Did I mention I am a total sucker for matching headstocks?

Real crappy pic of my favorites:

Plans: Buy a real camera... I really love the color of this thing and the natural wear. It is a crimson in direct light, purple in dim light, and has a really nice metallic to it. No super nasty dings, just honest wear and finish crazing. I have pressure pads and screws on the way for the nut, and a Breed for the bridge. I will eventually find some Dimarzio singles, and I would love to get some single coil strat tones. The V8 (and one of the S1's) will likely go into my 470DX as it sounds so much better than the V8 from my 97 570 that I removed. Will drill and dowell the strap button holes and redrill with straplocks soon. I will also work up a fix for the case as this seems to be normal thing for butterfly latches.

Post your 560's and Grape Ice pics!!!

Thanks for looking!

Mike

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
Jeez Mike......... you know your sick, right?.......:D:D You got it BADD!!!!

Very, very cool 560.

Yes, that's GI (I think, you REALLY need a camera dude :D)........ you couldn't get PN on a 560 in '90.

Don't bother drillng and filling the strap buttons. there's a better easier fix.

BTW... the V8 isn't stock. It should have a V2 (much better pup), not that it matters if your changing it..........

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Very, very cool 560.

Yes, that's GI (I think, you REALLY need a camera dude :D)........ you couldn't get PN on a 560 in '90.

Don't bother drillng and filling the strap buttons. there's a better easier fix.

BTW... the V8 isn't stock. It should have a V2 (much better pup), not that it matters if your changing it..........
You are totally right, that is a V2 and I do have it bad! Cheaper than drugs though! What is the easier fix for the strap buttons?

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
Toothpicks, and some super glue if you feel the need. ;)
I use titebond, but yeah, that's it.

Coat a couple of toothpicks with woodglue, push them into the hole as far as possible and as many as it takes to leave a tight thread grip on the screw. Don't fill the hole all the way for obvious reasons. While the glue is still wet, screw one of the button screws into the hole and let it dry overnight. in the morning you'll have a nice tight, permanent fit.

Edit:
If you DO use super glue- DON'T screw in the button until it's 100% dry. It will NEVER come out again if you do...............

·
Registered
5,174 Posts

Very, very cool 560.

Uh, I have a 1990 PN 560 ;)

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
Uh, I have a 1990 PN 560 ;)
I know, but you got yours in Japan. The Asian market is the only place PN was available in '90. I know it's not impossible that Mike got one, but it's far less likely after seeing his pics...... His SURE looks like GI to me.:smile:

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
I know, but you got yours in Japan. The Asian market is the only place PN was available in '90. I know it's not impossible that Mike got one, but it's far less likely after seeing his pics...... His SURE looks like GI to me.:smile:
TBH I'd rather have Grape Ice :lol:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice gents! Matias, did you swap pickups in yours? The stock pickups sound great but I think it could sound "better"...

After letting her mellow out with some tension overnight, some relief reappeared in the neck. I dropped it down to E flat and now it plays like a dream. Parts arrived too, so the locking nut is locking, and the breed install is pending.

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
Thanks for the advice gents! Matias, did you swap pickups in yours? The stock pickups sound great but I think it could sound "better"...

After letting her mellow out with some tension overnight, some relief reappeared in the neck. I dropped it down to E flat and now it plays like a dream. Parts arrived too, so the locking nut is locking, and the breed install is pending.
Cool man, sounds like some nice progress in a short amount of time.

I just discovered how incredible the Breed bridge sounds in basswood (Thanks again Jesse!).........Man, If I'd only known years ago..........[smacks forehead]

If I can make a suggestion, A Pro Track neck and Fast Track2 are perfect compliments for the Breed. The PT in the neck has unbelievable sustain and warmth for a single space pup. I have all three of them in my swirled 760 now............

·
Registered
931 Posts
I love that blue one! Very cool.
How do you like the center pick up in that? I don't like my evo single coil gonna have to do something about it.

Whenever I see a purple, I look over at my fading clear purple neon 550 and I get sad.
But I love the blue one!

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
How do you like the center pick up in that? I don't like my evo single coil gonna have to do something about it.

Whenever I see a purple, I look over at my fading clear purple neon 550 and I get sad.
But I love the blue one!
When it gets to being to much to handle...............

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cool man, sounds like some nice progress in a short amount of time.

I just discovered how incredible the Breed bridge sounds in basswood (Thanks again Jesse!).........Man, If I'd only known years ago..........[smacks forehead]

If I can make a suggestion, A Pro Track neck and Fast Track2 are perfect compliments for the Breed. The PT in the neck has unbelievable sustain and warmth for a single space pup. I have all three of them in my swirled 760 now............
Provided life does not get in the way, the breed may be tomorrow nights project. I love the rail Super D mini bucker in my 570, but due to how decent the S1's sound I think I want strat tones out of the singles for this one. I want the hum and "sparkle" of a true single coil for cleans. My 760's C2's don't really give me that tone; it is in such primo shape I want to leave it totally stock and never take it out of the apartment! My actual strat (USA G&L Legacy) is just gathering dust lately due to lack of frets, no locking trem, and no buckers!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

But I love the blue one!
Thanks man, that one was a lot of work! It is a Super Distortion. It's not as beefy/thick sounding as a the other two IMO, but still very usable and great sounding with what I play. The Deactivators are freakin LOUD; there is a noticeable, but not huge volume drop between the them.

Paint that 550! The color RGT posted would be perfect with some bass boat silver flake!

·
Registered
5,174 Posts

I changed my pups. The ones that were in there were a humbucker that I couldnt figure out what it was and 2 Ibanez S1s. I switched them for an Andy Timmons set (AT-1 with 2 Cruiser bridge singles). It's my basswood AT100 :)

·
Registered
915 Posts
My very first Ibanez was an RG560-GI.
I miss that thing.
For yucks and giggles, when you install that Breed, reverse the wires of the middle S1 (black for red). You'll be amazed at the sound you get. Bumped into this trick by accident.

Love Breeds. One of the best pups DiMarzio made. You won't be disappointed with that one.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Thanks man, that one was a lot of work! It is a Super Distortion. It's not as beefy/thick sounding as a the other two IMO, but still very usable and great sounding with what I play. The Deactivators are freakin LOUD; there is a noticeable, but not huge volume drop between the them.

Paint that 550! The color RGT posted would be perfect with some bass boat silver flake!
Now you're talking. Some kind of flake was exactly what I had in mind.
But what color, I still have no idea. I want it to be nuts like all my other crap.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@ Mattias. Awesome man, sounds like a beast I bet.

@ Vaibanez. I am loving this guitar, installed the Breed today and spent the last 2 hours playing it. It has a great sound, almost southern rock with a TS-9 (75% all knobs) on the clean channel of my crappy little apartment friendly practice amp. Great with my Metal Muff for the hard tones. I will try flipping the wires on the singles (out of phase?) before I swap them out.

@POS RG: Now I need pics of your other stuff! If you go big like you did on your SS, anxious to see it!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts