Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after a lengthy hiadus from here, allow me to make this triumphant new NGD.

I have tried to get the original owner (my coworker) to come off this fine piece of art for the past 3 years since I found out he had it!

P.S. for those of you that haven't had the opportunity to play one of these fine guitars, it is surprisingly bright, and far less output than i'm used to. That being said, i'm in a huge internal philosophical debate with myself on if I should change out the pickups or keep it as the luthiers originally intended their vision to be.

I'm 110% open to suggestions!

·
Super Moderator
9,696 Posts
Love those :) I'm in the 'swap the pickups' camp for most guitars, though I recently sold a '79 AR-300 because I thought it sounded too thin. On this one though, since it came with IBZ pickups, I would swap the pickups if you don't like the sound, and then I would play the frets clean off it :) Just wrap these in a bit of bubble wrap and put 'em in a parts drawer or something.

·
Registered
806 Posts
That is a beauty! I had tried to get one from the dealer up here who had one sitting on the shelves for over 6 years and wouldn't budge. I remember what I offered him for it. It sat for another 2 years and then he sold it for much less than what I offered him. Fool he was.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've never seen one of these... It's awesome! Congrats and HNGD! :)
Thank you!

Love those :) I'm in the 'swap the pickups' camp for most guitars, though I recently sold a '79 AR-300 because I thought it sounded too thin. On this one though, since it came with IBZ pickups, I would swap the pickups if you don't like the sound, and then I would play the frets clean off it :) Just wrap these in a bit of bubble wrap and put 'em in a parts drawer or something.
Man...talk about a killer neck!! It feels like a Super Wizard up by the nut end and goes down to a Wizard I at the heel! the profile is super flat like a Wiz I too - it begs to be shredded silly! I've been considering a D-Activator/Air Norton combo. Thoughts?

That is a beauty! I had tried to get one from the dealer up here who had one sitting on the shelves for over 6 years and wouldn't budge. I remember what I offered him for it. It sat for another 2 years and then he sold it for much less than what I offered him. Fool he was.
Indeed. Sounds like the music shop where I used to work. The owner was a grade A d-bag of the worst sort.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thank you!

Indeed. Sounds like the music shop where I used to work. The owner was a grade A d-bag of the worst sort.
^^^^

"Oh yeah man, the setup on this guitar was soooo awfulllll, I did about 200 dollars worth of work for ya, just by the way. It's now completely optimized."

Take it home, readjust the action, level the neck, see that the strings don't fit in the nut at all. Curse the elder gods and get on with my life.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I never tried any Dimarzio IBZ usa pickups on a prestige guitar.
But I heard from a friend that he said the dimarzio IBZ on his prestige awfully bright.
If I were you, it's definitely a pickup change in order.
you said it's bright and less output? so, perhaps I'll put tone zone and paf pro combo on it.
If you feel more metal, then super 3 and paf pro.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
I'll be the voice of reason here:

If you think it's too bright, get a Duncan perpetual burn and a 59 or Carvin C22B and C22J pickups. I'll be the first to say that as much as people dump on Carvin Pups, they are SOLID and sound great, while sounding different than most pickups out there. You could also go with the M22T/M22V combo as well (don't do the SD, it's carvin's highest output pup and while it sounds fine in my super bright JB200, you may not like it).

·
Super Moderator
9,696 Posts
I say leave original. That guitar is beautiful and rare. Enjoy it for what it is!
Just saying, sometimes enjoying it for what it is includes a bit of resentment for what it could be ;) Bottom line is if it sounds great leave it, if not, change those pickups out for something you do like.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
I like the Dimarzio/IBZ pickups but I'd say they're probably not perfect on every guitar. I think the bridge sounds like a slightly brighter yet a tad muddier version of a Super Distortion. On my fixed bridge basswood RG921 it sounds great. Not a super huge fan of the Dimarzio/IBZ neck pickup though.
This being a mahogany body with a maple top I'd switch them out. Maybe to a Tone Zone or a Super 3 in the bridge?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I agree that the Dimarzio IBZ USA pickups are a little on the bright side, most balanced pickups I've dropped into a Prestige recently that sound great for everything from high gain to slightly overdriven to totally clean is the Dimarzio EVO 2s. My favorite pickups right now. Great sustain & harmonics, not too bright but not too bassy either with smooth mids.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Awesome guitar - congrats!!! You should swap the pups with... (insert fave pup here)... ;) I just put a Dimarzio AT-1 in the bridge of one of my Ibbies and that is my new fave bridge pup =) I also put a PAF 36 in the neck and they seem to match very well

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Awesome guitar. Certainly an iconic Prestige model. Well done!!

What sort of sound are you looking to get Sonic??

I never really liked those DM/IBZ pickups, thought they
sounded really thin in most guitars I owned that were
equipped with them.

My all time fave neck pickup is the DiMarzio Paf Pro.

I'd look into BKP's as well but obviously do your research
as regards wiring/routing etc.

I have Nailbombs in a Daemoness I own and they are awesome,
lots of lower register filth coupled with being very articulate for leads
even at super high gain levels. They also clean up very well for buckers
as well.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Awesome guitar - congrats!!! You should swap the pups with... (insert fave pup here)... ;) I just put a Dimarzio AT-1 in the bridge of one of my Ibbies and that is my new fave bridge pup =) I also put a PAF 36 in the neck and they seem to match very well
Thanks for the info about the paf 36th matching well with the at1. I've been trying to find a good humbucker to go with the at1.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just saying, sometimes enjoying it for what it is includes a bit of resentment for what it could be ;) Bottom line is if it sounds great leave it, if not, change those pickups out for something you do like.
True story. The more time I spend with it, I get to discover more of its ins-and-outs, before I pull the trigger on hotrodding it.

What sort of sound are you looking to get Sonic??
I need crystal clear articulation to cut through super high gain. I still run my Mesa Mark III and right now, I have the presence at 0 and it's still bright. I've noticed that when I put a mic up to it, it records spectacularly, but I haven't got a chance to test it out live yet in a stage mix. The IBZ pickups are adequately articulate though, but mushes a little bit on string to string pronunciation.

As far as if I do decide to replace them, I'm all on board with the Air Norton neck - it's precisely what I'm looking for. I had a PAF Pro in the neck of my PGM301 and it was like 85% perfect; the tone was what I wanted, but didn't bring the heat on super high gain. Everything else was fantastic.

The bridge pup is my biggest concern. I've been an Evo II guy for a long time, and got reeeally used to the way it cleaned up, but it lacked bass in my full band live mix. Thus, I've put the Dactivator at the top of the list. I love the Steve Special tone, but need it to be higher output to really push it over the top. I've had more than a few ppl tell me the BKP Juggernaut and Nailbombs are worth the money. I'm also curious about the Duncan Pegasus. Haven't had a chance to play one in person yet. The Crunchlab is my fall back.

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
True story. The more time I spend with it, I get to discover more of its ins-and-outs, before I pull the trigger on hotrodding it.

I need crystal clear articulation to cut through super high gain. I still run my Mesa Mark III and right now, I have the presence at 0 and it's still bright. I've noticed that when I put a mic up to it, it records spectacularly, but I haven't got a chance to test it out live yet in a stage mix. The IBZ pickups are adequately articulate though, but mushes a little bit on string to string pronunciation.

As far as if I do decide to replace them, I'm all on board with the Air Norton neck - it's precisely what I'm looking for. I had a PAF Pro in the neck of my PGM301 and it was like 85% perfect; the tone was what I wanted, but didn't bring the heat on super high gain. Everything else was fantastic.

The bridge pup is my biggest concern. I've been an Evo II guy for a long time, and got reeeally used to the way it cleaned up, but it lacked bass in my full band live mix. Thus, I've put the Dactivator at the top of the list. I love the Steve Special tone, but need it to be higher output to really push it over the top. I've had more than a few ppl tell me the BKP Juggernaut and Nailbombs are worth the money. I'm also curious about the Duncan Pegasus. Haven't had a chance to play one in person yet. The Crunchlab is my fall back.
I'm WAYYY late to this thread but I want to congratulate you Sonic. These puzzle tops really are something special. I've always love the look and envied the owners- your no exception. :D

If you really like the scooped tone of the Steve Special I would highly reccomend a Mega Drive. DiMarzio still makes them, but you have to special order to get one. It's not a part of the rugular lineup. The Mega Drive has a nearly identical response range to the SS, but is significantly hotter.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts