Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been playing it for a few days. It almost plays itself.. quite a difference from my strats and LP. The neck is really fast. The attention to detail, I gotta say is equivalent to my R7 at minimum. It feels like a precision instrument as opposed to a chunk of wood with strings on it.

I know this model gets some flack here but I love this thing. Think I'm gonna take it on my next gig.

props to Rich Harris who did a fantastic job setting it up. I have some pics but I guess I need to start posting here first...

-Jay

·
Registered
392 Posts
Sweet! When I first saw the 3550M's I hated the inlays but now I really dig them. You definitely went the right route getting it through Rich. The only problem is now you'll be so spoiled with his fretwork/setup that you won't be able to buy an Ibanez anywhere else ;). Enjoy the new Axe!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! Problem I have now is my other guitar necks feel like baseball bats.

Sweet! When I first saw the 3550M's I hated the inlays but now I really dig them. You definitely went the right route getting it through Rich. The only problem is now you'll be so spoiled with his fretwork/setup that you won't be able to buy an Ibanez anywhere else ;). Enjoy the new Axe!

·
Registered
451 Posts
And that is how it goes...I know too well. I just sold my Jackson SL2h soloist because, for the life of me, I couldn't figure out why Jackson puts a Gibson style chunky neck on a total shred guitar like a soloist. I just couldn't play that anymore. Ibanez collection is increasing while other guitars in my herd continue to get sold. I like how I can pick up any of my Ibanez guitars, and I'm immediately comfortable and anxious to play. There's no feeling of being restrained somehow, like on all of my other guitars.

·
Registered
185 Posts
And that is how it goes...I know too well. I just sold my Jackson SL2h soloist because, for the life of me, I couldn't figure out why Jackson puts a Gibson style chunky neck on a total shred guitar like a soloist. I just couldn't play that anymore. Ibanez collection is increasing while other guitars in my herd continue to get sold. I like how I can pick up any of my Ibanez guitars, and I'm immediately comfortable and anxious to play. There's no feeling of being restrained somehow, like on all of my other guitars.
+1 on that.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Congrats on the new axe! I just recently grabbed an RG2550. The neck is great, isn't it?

But don't worry, you'll be grabbing the LP and Strat for those things that they do best. The RG is great for clean, articulate chord/arpeggio work, clinical metal riffing n solos, and whammy acrobatics. It can't rival the LP for straight up rock or the Strat for the blues and thicker clean stuff. IMO, of course.

That being said, mine isn't going anywhere. The flat radius and room to work on the neck has me grabbing notes that I normally wouldn't. Very inspiring to play!

·
Registered
143 Posts
yah dude i went from gibsons biggest fan boy to the biggest ibanez fanboy ever real quick simply due to the necks

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was struggling for a while going on binges between my 3550's neck and my custom 24 (wide thin). I could adapt quickly to the wide thin, but not so much with the the super wizard. Since then, I made it a point to pick up the Ibanez whenever I go on a PRS binge, even if it's only for 5-10 minutes at a time.

·
Registered
285 Posts
nice buy! i agree with what some of the lads said, you'll pick up the LP or the Strat for what they do best, but for chronic lead style playing Ibanez is the way to go. congrats!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks guys. after playing it daily for about a month, I have to say it's the best playing guitar I have. I still play the LP and strat occasionally because they have their place but I find I'm always grabbing the Ibanez when I want to mess around.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No bad for Silver level, eh? ;)
Yep. Nothing like a guitar set up right the first time. I can appreciate the specific knowledge it takes to set one of these up.. it really makes a huge difference compared to one off the store rack.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts