Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i know i posted this in another thread, but i actually bought it today.

EVH Frakenstein pups
Original Edge
No fretwear!

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She's a beauty. How do you like the EVH pickups in it? And the guitar in general for that matter? Happy NGD!
I'm not too keen on the pickups, but I think they just require a little tweaking to make them scream. The action is a little high for my taste, but other than that I'm getting off wanking on the whammy bar. I've never had one before.:mrgreen:

Japanese rg with mahogany body pre-prestige days. They sound great and feel good ive got a blue one. How you digging the super wizard neck?
I'm still getting used to it but I like it a lot. It's definitely different than my SZ720 which has a neck like the bastard son of a PRS and a LP. :)

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Congrats! Those are great guitars! I went with the stock pickups until I could afford anything better... the phantom V8 mod helped those a lot, then I got a DiMarzio AT-1 in the bridge and a FRED in the neck. It would be cool to hear the EVH pups in there... Eddie is one of my heros!

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
those are very nice guitars - and it looks to be in great shape - nice score!!! I had a 520qs in the same color but I sold it to a good friend of mine so I could afford a 550 that came up for sale on CL...I think I may have to buy the 520 back from my buddy...lol...at least I can still play it at his house. Beautiful guitar - congrats man!!!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I had a blue one...

WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY DID I SELL THAT GUITAR?????

Oh yeah, I wanted a new RG1550... and now I don't want the 1550 anymore (decided I don't like the thicker neck)

I sold it to a friend of mine and he said I could buy it back if I really wanted it back, but he loves it to death and ignores all of his other guitars and just plays the 520, so I couldn't ask for it back now.

Live and learn... I'll be selling the RG1550 in Phantom Blue soon. I know this isn't the classifieds section so I won't go into it here. :)

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everybody! I'm still tweaking my setup little by little hoping the pickups will open a can a whoopass, but no luck so far. The way I understand is that the pickups will be somewhat boosted in the mids, but I'm just not getting it.

I'm still in shock at how cherry this thing is. No tarnishing of the bridge or anything!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
As I keep saying to all those that will listen - the RG520QS is one of the best RGs around (I am biased as I have 3) but for the price and the quality they are the sweetest spot in the Ibanez RG series market.

-Wolfram

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's my favorite finish in the 520's. I would love to here it with the EVH's. Wonder how they jive with a mahogany body? hmmm...
They don't jive, at least not to my ears. I let my cousin have a whack at it and he likes the pickups. So naturally the tone is in the ear of the beholder. ;) Ultimatately they will be swapped out for a set of Evo's or a TZ/AN setup.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
They don't jive, at least not to my ears. I let my cousin have a whack at it and he likes the pickups. So naturally the tone is in the ear of the beholder. ;) Ultimatately they will be swapped out for a set of Evo's or a TZ/AN setup.
Go for the Evo's - trust me buddy. ;)

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Go for the Evo's - trust me buddy. ;)
That's what I keep leaning towards. Not sure if I want Evo or Evo2 for the bridge.

Alaskabat, I'm not a huge fan of the super distortion, but the PAF Pro may find it's way into the next guitar I get. :)

·
Registered
577 Posts
For a mahogany body go with original Evos... They sound amazing in mahogany (I have an orig EVO bridge in an RG420). For brighter woods like basswood & Alder the EVO2 sounds better (to my ears... That's the bridge pup I put in my Jems).

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
As I keep saying to all those that will listen - the RG520QS is one of the best RGs around (I am biased as I have 3) but for the price and the quality they are the sweetest spot in the Ibanez RG series market.

-Wolfram
HERE HERE!!!!

I'll second that, pound for pound, The 520 is THE BEST buy on the used market today. I can't believe how much less that a 550 they sell for......usually half!!!!!

Awesome score Silver!! That thing looks like a time capsule.

And how fortunate are you that your first trem is a mint condition original Edge.

Ryc

·
Banned
9,291 Posts
Alaskabat, I'm not a huge fan of the super distortion, but the PAF Pro may find it's way into the next guitar I get. :)
Did you wire it correctly? LOL!
The Super D is one of the most versatile pickups ever, and is capable of a wider variety of flavors than most others. But, to each his own...;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts