Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been recently GAS'ing severely over the new RG655 but ended up easing the GAS with a slightly less expensive, equally shredtastic alternative.

Pulled the trigger on a used RG550 for just around a quarter of the price of a new RG655.

After careful examination though, I am no longer sure about what it is that I just aquired.

The confusion rose from the seller saying that it's an '87 (I understand his misinterpretation seeing as the serial number ends with 87) but now that I finally got my hands on it, it appears to be a '95 (?).

Gotoh tuners, Lo-pro Edge, V7/V8, mid pickup says Jackson on it and the spring claw is a Kahler. The stamp on the neck says RG550-R, the body - RG505. It also looks like it might've been black from the beginning and later refinished to this quite bland looking red color.

Have I been had? In terms of value that is? Would love to get some clarity on what it is that I just got exactly.

With all being said, It does what an RG550 should do and is near flawless after setup and re-string.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Yeah that looks to be a 95 Rg505, the neck is supposed to be a wizard II instead of regular wizard, but your neck says RG550 so i'm not sure if its swaped or if Ibanez used remaining 550R necks.

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
Definitely a correct RG505, but I don't think it's been refinished. I think the black in the pocket is the primer/seal coat put on before the color and clear. I've seen it in a LOT of neck pockets.

·
Super Moderator
7,325 Posts
Definitely a correct RG505, but I don't think it's been refinished. I think the black in the pocket is the primer/seal coat put on before the color and clear. I've seen it in a LOT of neck pockets.
I'm with you on this one Ryc, I think it's the original candy apple red finish on a 505.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts