Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I kind of spontaneously bought this from my local shop. I have an old and highly modded RG560 which I love, and the maple neck and the beautiful finish made me pull the trigger on this one. RG's just make me happy with their neckshape, flat radius and awesome looks.

The frets are great. Some of the upper frets have some slightly sharp edges, but not enough that you feel it while playing. I got two free services with the guitar, so I'll probably get it fixed. Other than that they are flat and even across the fretboard, and I've of course set it up with pretty low action.

Anyway, it's an easy guitar to fall in love with, and I'm happy I managed to acquire one. I see they're gone from the Ibanez website as of now.

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument Guitar accessory

·
Registered
717 Posts
Well spotted, the RG565's were on the Ibanez site just 2 days ago - really glad I picked up an RG565 in orange now. It looks amazing, and what's even more amazing is that it doesn't have any obvious cosmetic defects and the setup wasn't too bad out of the box. Bought a white RG550 Genesis a couple of years ago, that was also flawless, unlike a bunch of other Prestige Ibanez guitars I've bought over recent years - which were making me question the wisdom of ever buying an Ibanez again.

Not sure about the pickups in the Genesis range, I'm rapidly coming round to the conclusion that a change of neck pickup may be in order for the 550, as for the 565 I'll reserve judgment for now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well spotted, the RG565's were on the Ibanez site just 2 days ago - really glad I picked up an RG565 in orange now. It looks amazing, and what's even more amazing is that it doesn't have any obvious cosmetic defects and the setup wasn't too bad out of the box. Bought a white RG550 Genesis a couple of years ago, that was also flawless, unlike a bunch of other Prestige Ibanez guitars I've bought over recent years - which were making me question the wisdom of ever buying an Ibanez again.

Not sure about the pickups in the Genesis range, I'm rapidly coming round to the conclusion that a change of neck pickup may be in order for the 550, as for the 565 I'll reserve judgment for now.
That's awesome! This one was well enough set-up. Good intonation, action was about medium, set up for anyone to be able to play it I guess. Absolutely no cosmetic defects on this one either. The pickups are good, but I still prefer Seymour Duncan JB for 90% of what I play, so it'll probably get a pickup swap somewhere down the line.

I'm really amazed by the Genesis line, having played a few others too, which makes me sad to see it reduced to just the RG550. Sabres and Radiuses would have been cool to see in the Genesis line-up too.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Really like my 550 Genesis, and hope they introduce some more models later this year.

I'm struggling to get a tone I can use from the neck pickup on the 565 and seem to be picking up my 550 in preference, the 565 looks amazing, but the tone sucks. Damn.

Could be my amp.... another thread coming lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Really like my 550 Genesis, and hope they introduce some more models later this year.

I'm struggling to get a tone I can use from the neck pickup on the 565 and seem to be picking up my 550 in preference, the 565 looks amazing, but the tone sucks. Damn.

Could be my amp.... another thread coming lol
I agree slightly on the neck pickup. I definitely find it usable, but not inspiring. Pickups are easy to swap out, anyways. The inbetween positions sound great though. I used the RG565 at rehearsal with my metal band yesterday, and I think there's some lack of definition when compared to my other guitars (including an '89 RG560), which are all equipped with SD JB's. I'll have to A/B test next time.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Yep the bridge pickup also needs swapping, I can dial in a good enough tone but know its lacking - just not sure what to go for anymore, maybe I'll go for a set of the JS2410 pickups although the Satch Track and Mo' Joe aren't aimed specifically at metal

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep the bridge pickup also needs swapping, I can dial in a good enough tone but know its lacking - just not sure what to go for anymore, maybe I'll go for a set of the JS2410 pickups although the Satch Track and Mo' Joe aren't aimed specifically at metal
I should really try out more different pickups too!

I recorded my RG565 for the first time today:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Im trying to avoid looking at these because my main focus is 80s Ibanez right now.

I always find myself almost clicking "buy it now" any time i see one. Especially the blue ones....

Great song selection (y)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im trying to avoid looking at these because my main focus is 80s Ibanez right now.

I always find myself almost clicking "buy it now" any time i see one. Especially the blue ones....

Great song selection (y)
Do what I did, get an old one and a new one! There are a few differences, as well as the fact that one of them is 33 years old and feels worn-in. I actually had it refretted with Jescar EVO Gold fretwire a couple of years ago.

Thanks, btw!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Picked up another RG565 today, but on this one the fret ends overhang and are pretty sharp, like a cheap guitar, quite surprised as my 550 genesis has super slick fret ends and my first 565 has hardly noticeable fret ends. Any other RG565 genesis owners had any issues like this?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Picked up another RG565 today, but on this one the fret ends overhang and are pretty sharp, like a cheap guitar, quite surprised as my 550 genesis has super slick fret ends and my first 565 has hardly noticeable fret ends. Any other RG565 genesis owners had any issues like this?
A tiny bit on mine. Not a lot though, and I'd definitely attribute it to changing climates. My local guitar store included two free services in the price, so I'll just make them file and round the edges sometime in the spring. I don't feel it at all while playing, just when I run my hand up the side of the neck. Sorry to hear about yours. Can you return it and have it fixed?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Thomann have agreed to swap it but can't guarantee the replacement will be any better lol... I'm just surprised at the difference between the 2 guitars. Also just noticed the humbucker ring has been fitted at a slight angle :rolleyes:, maybe this is a Friday night special....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.