Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gosh, I have not been back here for so long...

G.A.S. reinfection and bought these two babies within the same week...

Untitled by swirljem, on Flickr

I am truly amazed how well the Radius were built 20 years ago. I am even more amazed that Ibanez finally managed to come up with a decent guitar that is not MIJ.

Interesting contrast, the 540RSK is a blast from the past - Shocking Pink is still very cool in my opinion, but my wife prefers the Sea foam green. I am keeping both of these for another 20 years and want to see my son playing them some day.

·
Banned
9,291 Posts
Nice!
If you have time--I'm sure many members would love to read a full review of the Jem 70v in the reviews section...;)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How much did you pay for the Radius? 1992 model? It's a beauty! Happy NGD!
This is a 1988 model. It's in player condition but I really don't mind. Won the bid on evilBay for $750.

I want to change out the original IBZ/USA bridge pickup for a tighter sound. Any suggestion?

·
Banned
9,291 Posts
This is a 1988 model. It's in player condition but I really don't mind. Won the bid on evilBay for $750.

I want to change out the original IBZ/USA bridge pickup for a tighter sound. Any suggestion?
What type of a "tighter" sound?

I put a Super Distortion in my Power 540Pro and love it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
$750 isn't bad for a 1988 radius. And by player condition I guess you mean that it has scratches and dings, aka soul :)

I'm gasing for some Dimarzio PAF Pros

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice!
If you have time--I'm sure many members would love to read a full review of the Jem 70v in the reviews section...;)
Thanks. I am not good doing reviews. I read the reviews by others on the 70V already plus the threads related to this guitar. I think other guys have covered the subject well enough.

All I can say is this one well built guitar and it's out of my expectation. It does live up to the JEM quality us JEM players would expect. I once thought the whole JEM Premium thingy was another 555/Jem Jr. ordeal but it is not. At the end of the day most people WANT Ibanez to make affordable but quality guitars.

·
Registered
5,796 Posts

Yeah, now I remember that. I think I stopped bidding around $400. I couldn't justify paying any more.

I'd suggest an IBZUSA F2 for the bridge. It's a great sounding pickup and I feel like with this guitar, you should keep a pickup close to stock in there. Also, don't sell the stock pickup like most people do. Keep it around. You have a very nice all original guitar there.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
$750 isn't bad for a 1988 radius. And by player condition I guess you mean that it has scratches and dings, aka soul :)

I'm gasing for some Dimarzio PAF Pros
Yeah, it's got scratches, dings and paint chip but mostly are on the back. This one got soul alright. I just glad the neck is in very good shape - no cracks and not very dirty.

I don't expect to pay $750 for a MINT one which would be hard to find anyway, especially a pink one. These 540R were not expensive guitars back in the days so people wouldn't buy them for the sake of collecting.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hehe people pay for fake-relic guitars, "roadworn" Fenders and such are more expensive at my local musicstore than the regular versions.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, now I remember that. I think I stopped bidding around $400. I couldn't justify paying any more.

I'd suggest an IBZUSA F2 for the bridge. It's a great sounding pickup and I feel like with this guitar, you should keep a pickup close to stock in there. Also, don't sell the stock pickup like most people do. Keep it around. You have a very nice all original guitar there.
If I still live in the States I would agree with you completely. $750 is a bit much but heck, I wanted a pink one (can't help it growing up in the 80s)! In Hong Kong a pink Radius is so hard to come by and the seller was cool to ship overseas. Last week there was a mint JEM777SK on Yahoo auction in Hong Kong and the guy wanted US$2500... Nah.

I guess after all I want this to sound closer to a JS. I've been thinking about a Mo Joe or Fred but I don't know with the SSH wiring how it's going to sound. May be I'll take your advice and keep the original for the time being. I need to research a bit more.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Been after a pink Radius for years and missed one by a cats c ock hair on here a while ago.
Stunning ! Congrats.

How much do you want for it ? :smile:

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Welcome back!

Those are 2 beautiful guitars. So what brought you back? There's so many new people around now, not many of the oldies.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts