Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT - decent outdoorpictures with chrome hardware, as well as a video, are here:

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1249069&postcount=41

Ok, first the pictures, since no one cares about the text. Sorry they're a tad grainy, my camera sucks in indoor lighting.

Suhr Modern 7, swamp ash body, flamed maple top, bengal burst with scraped binding, natural back, 4a birdseye roasted maple neck, stainless jumbo frets, OFR, 7 Vintage neck pickup, 7 Plus bridge pickup.

Further thoughts to come, but this thing OWNS. I need to get some outdoor pictures as the top is a little less yellow in real life. Gorgeous looking guitar, and it plays and sounds better than it looks. I have a Warmoth with this same wood combination which is a pretty bright guitar, but this one's quite a bit more balanced - maybe it's the pickups, but it's incredibly thick, sort of like a Les Paul in the midrange but with a more pronounced, more Fender-y low end and a much more solid attack. Sustain is effortless, too. And the pickups sound awesome split with a bit of gain.

I picked it up after work on Wednesday and have spent pretty much every night after work playing it. :)

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Wow, that is an incredible beautiful guitar...I'm scared to ask what it cost...but who cares...life is short - buy nice guitars :) ...and that one is incredible! congratulations!!!

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, and honestly the way it sounds and plays trumps what it looks like. I still have to swap the hardware to chrome (a buddy has a Modern 7 with chrome hardware that he wished was black, so I ordered black so we could swap), but after that I'll get a video of this thing in action so you guys can hear it. :D

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
Wow, really nice. I really love the totally natural back. I've never been a fan of the look of natural swamp from the front, but it looks really great on the back with the flamed maple top.

I also always enjoy watching videos of people here who are much better guitar players than me :D

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I've swapped MOST of the hardware for chrome - turns out between my placing an order for this and the guitar being built, Suhr changed specs from locking Hipshot tuners to locking Suhr-branded Schallers, which have a different footprint/set screw location. :lol: So I'm going to have to order a set of the new Gotoh 510s with the new rear thumbscrew lock.

I think right out of the box the black actually looks a little better - more refined, and it seems to bring out the warmth in the top - but I'm picturing this with ten years of wear on it, and I think the chrome will look better with a bit of abuse. Besides, all the Floyd Upgrades stainless replacement parts would look pretty weird on a black trem. :lol:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Wow looks awesome! I had a Modern with a very similar top always wished it had black hardware like yours, that neck is stunning too by the way!

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Funnily enough, I'm most of the way through swapping to chrome. A buddy of mine had bought a Modern 7 shortly before I ordered this one, natural mahogany clear gloss with chrome hardware, and he wished it was black. So, I ordered mine black and we just planned on swapping when it showed up.

We did most of it on Saturday night over a bottle of Dalwhinnie, though between my ordering and the guitar arriving Suhr changed specs from Hipshot locking tuners to Suhr-branded Schallers which have a different set screw position, so I've got a chrome set of the new Gotoh 510s with thumbscrew locks in chrome on their way.

I liked the understated look with the black, but the chrome looks a little strattier and I think over the years as it begins to show some wear the chrome will look better.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts