Ibanez JEM Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
and:

Also, don't think I ever posted this here - I made a video of me putting it through its paces not long after I got it:

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Me too - the arm holder on that thing (essentially the same one as a Wilkinson) is awesome. Hell, I wish they made a seven string Gotoh Wilkinson!

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Not unusually so - to be perfectly honest, I couldn't even tell you if it's heavier or lighter than my other sevens, as it's close enough in weight that it doesn't jump out either way. I'm confident it's lighter than my UV7PWH as that's just a really light guitar anyway (between the thin neck, the routing, and what seems to be a really light chunk of basswood), but it doesn't seem all that different to me than any modern rear-route Ibanez seven.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
That´s a great looking Suhr! Congrats!

I wish they made a 7 string version with the Gotoh 510 trem.
Me too - the arm holder on that thing (essentially the same one as a Wilkinson) is awesome. Hell, I wish they made a seven string Gotoh Wilkinson!
Yeah the Gotoh trems ****ing rule. I have a Gotoh non-locking trem on my Suhr and it works insanely well. You can divebomb on it and it still stays in tune.

I wanted to put a 7 string Gotoh non-locking one on my Myka build thats upcoming but they wont do one so I've had to go with hipshot unfortunately.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Yeah the Gotoh trems ****ing rule. I have a Gotoh non-locking trem on my Suhr and it works insanely well. You can divebomb on it and it still stays in tune.
I don't know if I've ever played that one, but the Gotoh Wilkinson is one of my favorite trems I've ever played - the arm holder is the best design I've ever seen (it screws in, but it has a rubber bushing with a small allen key in the back to adjust pressure so you can get really excellent control over bar tension), the saddles all lock, it's very comfortable under your hand, the trem studs lock just like and Edge, and it holds tune very well. I honestly can't say if I prefer an OFR to it or not, it's just a great trem.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I definitely prefer them over an OFR just because they are easy to setup and perform about as well.

The only reason I can anyone wanting an OFR over the Gotoh stuff is because they really really love dimebag.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Ahh. Well, on a seven, I have literally no choice. :lol: Hipshot does a vintage style 7, but Gotoh does not. On a six... A OFR looks and feels differently than a VS100, say. I've never owned a guitar with a recessed Wilkinson, but I kind of want to grab some Warmoth parts and build one.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
They're honestly cheap enough that you could grab two of them and have a custom baseplate made or have the baseplates welded together to make one, or even just one, a custom base plate, and a set of aftermarket saddles with one extra.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Hey, I just passed the exam, dude, but that doesn't magically make me a multimillionaire. :lol:

41 - 60 of 63 Posts