Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks folks. In both looks and tone I was trying to combine two of my faves: A Gambale Saber and an original Jem. The pups are DiMarzios with an EVO 2 in the bridge, an HS-2 in the middle and an Air Norton in the neck.

I went with the Air Norton for that more "fusion-y" sound.

·
Registered
104 Posts
How are they? I was debating about getting one but can't get over the ibanez made pickups, cheaper trem and being made in Indonesia. I have only tried them out a couple of times.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How are they? I was debating about getting one but can't get over the ibanez made pickups, cheaper trem and being made in Indonesia. I have only tried them out a couple of times.
There are several threads on the build quality of these models. But frankly, my neck and frets needed work right out of the case and I obviously replaced the stock pups.

Now she plays and sounds great.

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
I played that exact model in a Guitar Center and the frets and neck were not good. The edge of the neck was very square and not comfortable. I thought it was a shame, because it's such a cool looking guitar and the price is right.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
man im jealous...... I missed out on getting one of the 3 S1XXv's here in New Zealand.... I should of jumped on them as I'm loving that green!.... i might try and hunt one down in Australia and get it shipped over.....

What do you think are the chances of Ibanez doing an anniversary RG say 4XXV in that green?..... id sell a kidney for an RG in that color!

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
Rich apparently has these in stock. He charges $290 for his Platinum setup package, which would fix all the neck and fret issues. I've had two guitars with his Platinum setups (still own one) and I'll say that $290 is well worth it for the quality of his work. That said, at that point you'd be paying $1000 for a non-Premium Indo S. That seems steep. I'd be interested in hearing Rich's take on these guitars vs. the Premium line.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Honestly, I was shocked that ANY guitar over $600 would need another $200 of work before you could even play it! So, I called Ibanez to complain. They said "take it to an authorized repair place and we'll pay for the work". I thought that was cool (except I already brought it to my guy).

But hey, this isn't about the Indo build quality, it's about how totally RAD my new axe is! :cool:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts