Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
249 Posts
Excellent find sir!

Repro Guitar Parts stock 3 hole mount pickup rings but currently out of stock i think. They have cream or black ones available, they give you the hole-to-hole measurements so you can determine if they will fit your guitar.

They also sell those toggle switch grommets and switch tips too if you ever need them.

If you wanted to reinstate the gold plating then its a super easy process but its entirely up to you. (y)

· Registered
249 Posts
Not an unfounded fear no, obviously you don't want gold plate solution inside the machine heads as it might displace the grease but you don't need to submerge the parts when you plate them.

Basically with the gold plating it gets brushed on. You have something like a cotton bud (q-tip) housed inside a hollow steel rod which has electrical current going to it, because the cotton is wet with gold plating solution it becomes conductive too, you connect the earth cable to the piece that needs to be plated and then brush the gold plate on with the cotton soaked in solution.

If you can imagine negative and positive polarity, you set it up one way, you can attract particles to metal, if you set it up the other way you can remove particles from the metal. I also use my plating kit to remove chrome and take it back to nickel if i need to.

Check out some Youtube videos on the process, it can genuinely be achieved with some 9v batteries and gold plate solution but alot of suppliers do a kit with a voltage regulator, plating solution, brushes etc. Gold plating takes less than 9v so its not a dangerous process, the only real danger is the cyanide in the gold solution.

For reference my plating kit cost me just under $100 and the gold solution makes up half of that price.

· Registered
249 Posts
Yes indeed, i actually found that out the hard way....

I was plating my stuff and i didn't realise it had cyanide in the solution until my heart started doing backflips :p

The plating process does produce trace amounts of vapour but you don't need a hazmat, just a well ventilated room and a paper mask will do. I basically had my face in it when i done mines because i was excited to watch the process, little did i know i almost killed myself :LOL:

Just do it beside an open window, don't take in a lung full of vapour and you will be fine (y)

· Registered
249 Posts
Back porch will work perfect (y) (y)

Ideally it should be warm so doing it in winter wont work unless you can keep the solution and the part warm during the process. When i done mines i left the item to plate in hot water to let it take on some heat. I also had the bottle of solution in warm water to get some heat in that too.

Solution and plating at average room temps will work however it plates faster when warmed slightly. If you do it outside in winter temps it might not take so well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts