Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A week or two ago, I was talking to a member at Strat-Talk, who lives about 15 miles from me. He had just got a Lawsuit Ibby LP. He also mentioned that he had an Ibanez Studio model up for sale on CL. Well, we worked out a trade, and I met him and we swapped some gear, at my local Mickey D’s. I came home with this…
Musical instrument Guitar Guitar accessory String instrument accessory Wood
Musical instrument Guitar Guitar accessory Wood Musical instrument accessory

I believe it’s an MC50. It is complete with OHSC and all original. It has a 25.5 in (648mm) scale, is 24 frets, and has the original V2’s. The pickup rings are both cracked. Any idea of where I can scoured replacements? They have two screws on the bass side and one on the treble side.. I am going to level and crown the frets, and fill a nasty little chip by the jack input.

I can find a splash of gold in a couple of places on the hardware. I am not going to fix every ding and scratch, just get the main one or two and then buff it up. Just do a light bit of restorative work.

it plays amazingly well. I need to replace the jack, as it’s a little loose and causes static/crackling noises. It’s from 1979. Price for this guitar in 1979 was $199.00. I traded a Mesa Theile 1x12 cab and an SS mini head for it. Cost wise it turned out to be a pretty equal trade.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent find sir!

Repro Guitar Parts stock 3 hole mount pickup rings but currently out of stock i think. They have cream or black ones available, they give you the hole-to-hole measurements so you can determine if they will fit your guitar.

They also sell those toggle switch grommets and switch tips too if you ever need them.

If you wanted to reinstate the gold plating then its a super easy process but its entirely up to you. (y)
‘I might try having the gold redone. I am concerned though about the covers on the back of the tuners leaking though. Is that an unfounded fear?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes indeed, i actually found that out the hard way....

I was plating my stuff and i didn't realise it had cyanide in the solution until my heart started doing backflips :p

The plating process does produce trace amounts of vapour but you don't need a hazmat, just a well ventilated room and a paper mask will do. I basically had my face in it when i done mines because i was excited to watch the process, little did i know i almost killed myself :LOL:

Just do it beside an open window, don't take in a lung full of vapour and you will be fine (y)
‘Well my back porch is covered. Is there an concerns on what the temperature is outside?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Back porch will work perfect (y) (y)

Ideally it should be warm so doing it in winter wont work unless you can keep the solution and the part warm during the process. When i done mines i left the item to plate in hot water to let it take on some heat. I also had the bottle of solution in warm water to get some heat in that too.

Solution and plating at average room temps will work however it plates faster when warmed slightly. If you do it outside in winter temps it might not take so well.
Sound like I will be waiting until Spring. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is a nice score; those old Maxons alone are desirable, and the massive Gibraltar bridge allows for near infinite intonation.

Beefy guitar period for Ibanez - Icemen, Artists, Musicians, Studios, Performers.
I checked t\he sold listings on Reverb, and there were only a handful sold over t\he last couple of years. It was a fair trade, and actually a little in my favor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts