Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

Finally pulled the trigger on a UV70P after having had GAS for it for quite some time. I was not an Ibanez guy up until a year ago when I bought a JEM505 (pictured as well). I had a Japanese made Fender strat from 1984 (bought it new) that was modded along the line but it was stolen from me in 2003. I then (on a whim) bought a beautiful Les Paul that I have been using since. I never really came to grips with that so decided to hunt for something new and then it sort of became obvious to me that Ibanez was the only place to go for me.

So. The UV70P was an internet buy and sent to me direct from the Ibanez country rep. When I opened the case I was that the neck was poorly aligned so after some quick calls to the country rep (Crafton) I sent it back to them for fixing and I received to back today. Now it is in perfect condition and set-up to my liking.

Photos of the UV and the JEM505 https://goo.gl/photos/tM3RVnDHb7jiDJW97

Panix - you were asking for bridge picks and sustain on 23-24 frets. Let me know if you need further pictures. Sustain on high E is 4-5 seconds I would say.

Cheers,
Roger

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I need another 4 posts to be able to post a link to the photos. In this post I will talk about my other gear.

I have an old Mesa Boogie studio preamp from 1995 or so that I run through a Marshall power amp. Speaker cabinet is an old Mesa 4x12 from 1995 0r 1996. This is what I used to use back when I was recording and gigging. Now it collects dust in the basement...

Now I use either a line 6 spider 75 or JamUp on my iPad. Thinking about going Bias. Let's see.

Roger

·
Banned
983 Posts
Glad for you man!!!

Panix - you were asking for bridge picks and sustain on 23-24 frets. Let me know if you need further pictures. Sustain on high E is 4-5 seconds I would say.
That's just HUGE!!! so sustain on high E, @ 24th fret is 4-5 seconds???? Man, are you sure? I wish I had that!!! Now you got me hunting sustain again!!!

What string gauge do you have? Any trem setter or other device installed? Any mod to the guitar?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yup. That long sustain. The b string has least sustain but the rest ring as I said 4,5,6 seconds. No sustainers or anything. I use regular 009 - 054. D'Addarios I think.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, coming back to what Crafton did to fix the guitar. What I heard back from the tech who did the work was that he cleaned out the neck pocket and then the neck was aligned properly. He has then set the action for me (low but not super low). At this point I would like to extend a big hand to Crafton and their customer support. Never a question about if they would fix this. Me likes.

Roger

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Regarding the price then. I paid approximately 1500 $ for the UV and around 1000 $ for the 505. Both are fair deals I think.

Having played both I have noted the following.

The JEM is a true craftmanship. It is soo nicely put together, looks great and feels very solid. Maple fretboard on white body is beautiful in my mind. Sound wise it lacks some bite so I am thinking about a pup change. Evo's would be the logical choice. Any thoughts on that?

The UV70P is also a nice build. The neck feels awesome and the extra width doesn't bother me at all. Sound wise I totally love the Blazes'. I was a bit worried about the tremolo but it is not a worry so far. Works perfectly and stays in tune as the edge zero on the 505. I have always been a sucker for the green on black ever since I saw Vai pictured with one.

One more post and I will update the thread start with some pictures.

Roger

1 - 11 of 11 Posts