Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at Martins in guitar catalogs for 30 years, but always seemed to need the latest Fender / Marshall / Ibanez, more than a nice acoustic. I've had the acoustic bug for a couple years and decided it was time to put the electric rig in the closet for awhile.

After selling my Jem and JSX rig, I knew where I was headed. A friend at a Martin dealer in Catonsville, MD hooked me up with a deal on a HD-28 that I couldn't refuse. This baby is the loudest / sweetest sounding guitar I've ever played. I tried Gibson, Larivee, Breedlove and Taylor, but there was no comparison to the Martin for achieving my ideal rhythm and flatpicking tone. It also sounds sweet fingerpicked.

I still have my Rivera R55, a Carvin combo and six more electrics, but I'm concentrating on forming a small acoustic project for now.

'scuse me while I go play for a spell...

(not my actual guitar, I'll post pics soon...)

·
Super Moderator
9,713 Posts
Nice guitars :D I played a few Martins and Taylors last week, and the Martins are all great sounding. Did you have to lower the action on yours? they do seem to have uniformly high action from the factory it seems.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine was perfect right off the shelf, but I believe my dealer does a set-up on every guitar in "the big glass case". By eye-ball measurements, I'm guessing a hair over 1/8" at the 12th fret.

·
Premium Member
9,591 Posts
Beautiful guitar man. HD-28s are awesome. I got Mrs Cid one of the cheaper 000-15s and its an awesome guitar. Made me sell my Guild and replace it with an OMC-16.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sweetness but are you gonna swirl it and put a vine inlay in it ;)
It's bone stock, except for a strap button the dealer installed on the neck heel. No electronics. Nothing but wood, nickel silver frets, Grover tuners, phosphor bronze strings and bone nut and saddle.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Damn it to hell! Now my nice new guitar thread is all dirty and slimey. Why did I have to play that skanky name card? :confused:

I'm gonna go learn Stairway...

·
Registered
484 Posts
It's bone stock, except for a strap button the dealer installed on the neck heel. No electronics. Nothing but wood, nickel silver frets, Grover tuners, phosphor bronze strings and bone nut and saddle.
And even that is stock.
Martins come without strap pins installed.
They are included btw.

·
Super Moderator
9,713 Posts
May as well use this thread for Martin questions...

So, why are D35's pulling about the same cash used as D18's? Is there supposed to be something inferior inherent in the 35's 3 piece back or is it something else? I'm not big on Martins so I don't know. I'm thinking of getting a Martin, but may just get another archtop instead.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts