Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After months of saving(never really had to save up for anything up until now but still, lol)
Got a great deal on her too! GC apparently loves to sell 7620s real cheap. 250$ to be exact!!
Check her out!

What does the "S" mean on the headstock??

A lot of edge chips which is ok for me. The frets are practically new and the neck is nice and straight. Only things that need to be done are set up and cleaning the pots(noisy).

I also have a question about 7 string trems since this is my first 7 string. When I got it this morning, I immediately tried tuning up to standard. I was assuming they loosened the strings when they shipped it but the trem kept going up and up till I just stopped and gave up.

What do 7 strings usually come with gauge-wise? I'm used to 10s on my Jem so I am thinking these must either be 11's or really loose springs. What do you guys think?? The claw is screwed in a lot(less than 1/4" left of space). If the strings that are on are 10s that probably means I need to buy an extra spring or two, right?

·
Registered
639 Posts
wow.. $250 is a great price..

I use Ernie ball's 7 Set of 10's with my 7620. No issues with it dipping.. Be sure to give your strings a proper stretch

I am not sure exactly where the springs are set on mine though...

I can check later.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well I just got off the phone with the Manager at the GC that I bought it from. He's pretty sure that the guy that restrung it put on 11's. He isn't 100% sure since that guy wasn't in today. But I am going to buy a set of 10s and a set of new springs and just see what happens. I can always return the springs if I don't need them.

Also, I figured out what the "S" that was stamped on the back of my headstock meant. Apparently it stands for "Second" or "Used". I guess it has been through a couple of different resellers and some of them stamp it there to reduce the price/quality?

Either way. I couldn't less. Guitar is in better condition than I anticipated.

Now off to GC ~runs like Freakazoid~

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Well I just got off the phone with the Manager at the GC that I bought it from. He's pretty sure that the guy that restrung it put on 11's. He isn't 100% sure since that guy wasn't in today. But I am going to buy a set of 10s and a set of new springs and just see what happens. I can always return the springs if I don't need them.

Also, I figured out what the "S" that was stamped on the back of my headstock meant. Apparently it stands for "Second" or "Used". I guess it has been through a couple of different resellers and some of them stamp it there to reduce the price/quality?

Either way. I could care less. Guitar is in better condition than I anticipated.

Now off to GC ~runs like Freakazoid~

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Fixed!! Jeeze

Also, It was strung with a set of 11's. So gonna have to return the springs i got. But anyways. Plays great. And was cheaper than my Chibanez!! Lol

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
The 'S' means second,yes.
If a new guitar is damaged or flawed on route from factory it will be re-checked or repaired and stamped.
Your guitar when new may have just got a minor paint chip etc,marked as second and sold at reduced cost.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
The 'S' means second,yes.
If a new guitar is damaged or flawed on route from factory it will be re-checked or repaired and stamped.
Your guitar when new may have just got a minor paint chip etc,marked as second and sold at reduced cost.
Yep...and while it's definitely a great guitar and I suppose definitions of what a "steal" is may vary, I've seen this guitar sell mint for $350 so getting a "second" with a significant amount of damage for $250 doesn't strike me as anything out of the ordinary. Guitar Center does often have great deals on stuff though, especially things that they don't know how to price :)

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Yep...and while it's definitely a great guitar and I suppose definitions of what a "steal" is may vary, I've seen this guitar sell mint for $350 so getting a "second" with a significant amount of damage for $250 doesn't strike me as anything out of the ordinary. Guitar Center does often have great deals on stuff though, especially things that they don't know how to price :)
They routinely sell for 500$ on ebay. 250$ is definitely a "good deal". Guitar center and other vendors suck at pricing used ibanez's... which is awesome for me ;)

However, they sure do know how to price fenders and gibsons -.-

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I find it a great deal. I was looking at 7620's on the Bay for $350+ and they had conditions that were no better. A guy was looking for $500 for a somewhat good looking guitar in the front. but totally destroyed in the back and by the bottom strap button. Plus the frets were heavily used.

The day that auction closed this baby popped up on the GC used section. Bought it on the spot. Never looking back.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Looks just like mine, scratches, chips and all. Mine cost $500 in Australia 3 years ago and it's a great player. The previous owner had put a block of wood in the trem cavity, when I took it out the trem took a major nose dive. It took a bit to balance it again but now it's in great shape and holds tune well, even after a string change. Using Ernie Ball 10's too. Love it.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Looks just like mine, scratches, chips and all. Mine cost $500 in Australia 3 years ago and it's a great player. The previous owner had put a block of wood in the trem cavity, when I took it out the trem took a major nose dive. It took a bit to balance it again but now it's in great shape and holds tune well, even after a string change. Using Ernie Ball 10's too. Love it.
lol yeah, the one I bought had damn near the same chips too! kinda funny!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I will visit that GC for sure. Which one is it?
Well I don't think the one I got it from has any more 7620's. But just check out the GC Used section on their website. Set the search "Ibanez" in Guitars. Don't search 7620 since the search function screws up and most of the time they mislabel them as "7STR RG" or something similar.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I always tell my students to check GC before Evil Bait because: 1. GC is so much better on returns. 2. The prices are often better. 3. You can often play it before buying.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I noticed something about this one. The tension is a little lighter with 10s than my Jem is with 10s. Isn't the scale length exactly the same??

·
Registered
690 Posts
It's exactly the same (25-1/2").

Some guitars just work out to have that lower-tension feel... I've got some of both in my little 'family' of instruments...
Cheers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts