Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Faeklidare managed to convince me of the rarity of this guitar so I had to get it when we were at Shimokura in Ochanomizu :lol:

This is the Japan only very limited RG685. Color is translucent purple, and the bridge is Lo pro.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it kinda does (It's sitting next to my 560PN and they look similar). However, the biggest difference is that this one is translucent, you can see the wood grain through the paint. I never knew basswood looked so nice :)

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Very nice! Happy NGD!
Nice color......very different.
That is really cool how you can see the wood right through it.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very nice! Happy NGD!
Nice color......very different.
That is really cool how you can see the wood right through it.
Okay here are the great parts about this guitar:

It's completely ORIGINAL parts. NO pup changes, no nothing.

Has the back cover. Most used guitars dont have em.

The stock pups are actually GREAT. These are the Ibanez QM1-QMS1-QM2. I was pleasantly surprised at how well they sounded. Why couldn't ibanez just keep using these pups? V7/V8 are so bad...

the frets are in AMAZING condition. I just checked the condition and they are nearly perfect.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice! Grats! Never seen that before. :)
Yeah, I tried to research a bit and couldnt find anything on it. It's a rare guitar, even by Ibanez standards. Yes, it's a Japanese market limited model, but one in this sort of condition is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Didn't go to Tokyo to buy a guitar, but came back with an amazing one :D

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Love the rosewood too. My next has to be rosewood. Three guitars in the house (well, four if you count the firewood acoustic) and all three electrics are maple.
What would one have to do to get you to record something on it so we can hear it? :)
Curious about those pickups. Haven't seen those before.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Love the rosewood too. My next has to be rosewood. Three guitars in the house (well, four if you count the firewood acoustic) and all three electrics are maple.
What would one have to do to get you to record something on it so we can hear it? :)
Curious about those pickups. Haven't seen those before.
I'll record something later today at some point. The bus home was 3 hours late and I'm like half asleep right now :lol:

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Cool guitar... I've never even heard of one... or the QM pickups. Nice find... Congrats!

Is it set up pretty well? Play pretty good?

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
That doesn't look original. Those are pickup ring route's. Notice how huge they are around the pickups. But the holes for the pickup ring screws have been filled in. You sure that's original paint? Very odd.

·
Registered
341 Posts
It is totally original.This is a Japan only domestic model and hence the mount on body pickups. There aren't pickup rings to begin with.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
It is totally original.This is a Japan only domestic model and hence the mount on body pickups. There aren't pickup rings to begin with.
Look at the size of the route's!! They're absolutely huge. Massive gaps between the body and the pickups.

Look at any other Ibanez that doesn't have pickup rings or a scratchplate and look closely at how tight the pickups fit in their holes.

What it looks like is a parts guitar from a Japan store that had a relationship with Ibanez, they put it together from an RG 570 body, and neck, and sold it as a stock model. Or, someone's pulling the wool over someone elses eyes.

If I take the pickup rings off my early 90's RG570 the routes are exactly the same. ie, huge gap all the way around, and not tight like it should be for guitar bodies from Ibanez that are for direct mount pickups without pickup rings.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
it's normal, it's very common for the japan model direct mounting guitar.
take a look at this :

it's original RGR620, no modification on the routing.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cool guitar... I've never even heard of one... or the QM pickups. Nice find... Congrats!

Is it set up pretty well? Play pretty good?
It's setup okay but the guitar shop didnt do anything to it so I need to do a full setup myself tomorrow or something. Dont know which tuning I'm going to use on it yet so until I do that, I cant put new strings on it :? Gonna put a set of the new Daddario NYXLs on it.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts