Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
I wish our guys were that knowledgeable.
Our "Help desk" has earned the moniker "Helpless desk" there are a handful of sharp guys, but I seem to always get the guys that go the opposite direction of the problem.
I'm lucky enough to have admin rights so I can repair any flaws that pop up, but if there is something where I need net admin rights, forget it...
I don't have access to restore roaming profiles, etc.
Is it wrong when you have to tell the guy what to do?
I got one guy to give me his password just so I could show HIM what to do..yeesh (No, I wasn't Nick Burns doing it.) :)

anyway, funny thtuff...

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Very funny, I've never had anything more helpful from my IT guys than "have you tried turning it off and then on again?" :lol:

·
Super Moderator
9,713 Posts
bammbamm said:
I wish our guys were that knowledgeable.
Our "Help desk" has earned the moniker "Helpless desk" there are a handful of sharp guys, but I seem to always get the guys that go the opposite direction of the problem.
I got one guy to give me his password just so I could show HIM what to do..yeesh (No, I wasn't Nick Burns doing it.) :)

anyway, funny thtuff...
You can go to a store and buy Goose Island Honkers Ale whenever you want; you get no sympathy from me! LOL

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'm with a crew of 5 IT guys and we have to do EVERYTHING! we have to do everything in our dept. as well as the helpless desk dept. none of them knows anything and YOU ARE RIGHT SIR.....we refer to them as helpless desk as well. all they are is glorified answering machines....message takers. they SHOULD be the front line but they just pass it all on to us. it's ridiculous.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
jim777 said:
You can go to a store and buy Goose Island Honkers Ale whenever you want; you get no sympathy from me! LOL
Yes, yes I can, and frequently I walk right by it and grab a Leinie's Big Butt or Red. How's THAT for non appreciation?

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jim777 said:
Is your support divided into 1st/2nd/3rd level?
1st level is the helpless desk...they take the calls and create tickets no matter what. they do nothing but pass it on.

the 5 of us are actually 1st, 2nd and 3rd level. it gets really crazy but i like it.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I am in an IT dept. of 3, and we're hiring a 4th that I need to train. I am only "Nick Burns" when someone does the same stupid thing over and over again. then I can turn into a jerk.

But usually I am known as the "nice guy" with good customer service skills, which is quite important in the IT field.

I am also the practical joker, and have taken a screenshot of someone's desktop, made it their wallpaper, then deleted all their icons (made a backup though for quick recovery) so that it appeared their desktop was normal, but when they tried clicking on the "icons", nothing worked. I've mentioned this before here.

Another good one is sticking a Linux live CD (Linux install that boots and runs entirely from CD or DVD) in someone's CD-ROM, so when they reboot their PC at night, then come in in the morning, their PC is now Linux, and they freak because they think all their data is gone, and they have no idea how to use it.

Overall being an IT guy is fun, but it can definitely get boring when it's the same old crap over and over.

It's kinda funny, because I've interviewed other places, and when I tell them there are over 1000 users, they ask what level I am.

I am like "level? what level? I guess all of them"

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Polaris20 said:
I am in an IT dept. of 3, and we're hiring a 4th that I need to train. I am only "Nick Burns" when someone does the same stupid thing over and over again. then I can turn into a jerk.

But usually I am known as the "nice guy" with good customer service skills, which is quite important in the IT field.

I am also the practical joker, and have taken a screenshot of someone's desktop, made it their wallpaper, then deleted all their icons (made a backup though for quick recovery) so that it appeared their desktop was normal, but when they tried clicking on the "icons", nothing worked. I've mentioned this before here.

Another good one is sticking a Linux live CD (Linux install that boots and runs entirely from CD or DVD) in someone's CD-ROM, so when they reboot their PC at night, then come in in the morning, their PC is now Linux, and they freak because they think all their data is gone, and they have no idea how to use it.

Overall being an IT guy is fun, but it can definitely get boring when it's the same old crap over and over.

It's kinda funny, because I've interviewed other places, and when I tell them there are over 1000 users, they ask what level I am.

I am like "level? what level? I guess all of them"
That's pretty funny, another good one is taking the ball out of people's mice, or unplugging their keyboard

·
Super Moderator
9,713 Posts
shredmaster said:
1st level is the helpless desk...they take the calls and create tickets no matter what. they do nothing but pass it on.

the 5 of us are actually 1st, 2nd and 3rd level. it gets really crazy but i like it.
It sounds like you need to create a knowledge base so that the 1st level support folks have a database of common issues and resolutions. It also sounds like you need better management of that IT department; the KB is a no brainer.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
jim777 said:
It sounds like you need to create a knowledge base so that the 1st level support folks have a database of common issues and resolutions. It also sounds like you need better management of that IT department; the KB is a no brainer.
Knowledge base? Damn that's a good idea!

·
Super Moderator
9,713 Posts
Where I am 1st level support handles about 65% of all the calls on first touch. We are trying to get it up to 90%. Having a place where the phone operators can look up the problems and the fixes is really the only way you can do that.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
jim777 said:
i have been building the knowledge base for a little over 2 years and they don't use it. it's just ridiculous. the 2 answers they give users is.....reboot and call back and try an ip config release renew. the joke in our dept. is that no matter what goes wrong, new keyboard, monitor dies, whatever, did you try an ip config release /renew? they're idiots.

dude, as far as management goes.....oh crap....did you see office space? the guy with the red stapler? that's our manager. he doesn't even know how to connect a mouse and hasn't a clue the difference between usb and serial. he doesn't even know what serial is used for. why is he still in the co. you ask??? hey we wonder the same thing.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Polaris20 said:
I am also the practical joker, and have taken a screenshot of someone's desktop, made it their wallpaper, then deleted all their icons (made a backup though for quick recovery) so that it appeared their desktop was normal, but when they tried clicking on the "icons", nothing worked.
yeah dude that's the best. i did that to one of the "1/2 techs" here...he mainly runs our inventory...really cool guy. i keep a straight nick burns face as i say...hey, reboot it and get back to me! HEHEHE! or you take a screen shot of his outlook which is maximized and use that for wallpaper then announce....HEY!!! IS ANYONE ELSE'S OUTLOOK FROZEN! awesome.

another one we did was rename a wav file of warner brothers michigan j frog.... and put it in his startup folder. we renamed it to windows32.wav just to throw him off. sent out an email to the group saying the frog virus is going around again. when you reboot you can get it! we're stupid but we're tight knit....that's why it's cool....cuz of the people. i play the nick burns role a lot to many of my users.....they get a kick out of it.

·
Super Moderator
9,713 Posts
shredmaster said:
i have been building the knowledge base for a little over 2 years and they don't use it. it's just ridiculous. the 2 answers they give users is.....reboot and call back and try an ip config release renew. the joke in our dept. is that no matter what goes wrong, new keyboard, monitor dies, whatever, did you try an ip config release /renew? they're idiots.

dude, as far as management goes.....oh crap....did you see office space? the guy with the red stapler? that's our manager. he doesn't even know how to connect a mouse and hasn't a clue the difference between usb and serial. he doesn't even know what serial is used for. why is he still in the co. you ask??? hey we wonder the same thing.
What kind of company is this?!

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
it's a very large one that does market research for pepsi, hershey's, keebler...to name just a couple. yes it makes no sense. we have no idea why the higher ups don't see what is going on. i actually almost got fired for bringing to this idiot's attention what the helpless desk is not doing for us. i guess he is "one of them." well he is......he's a total idiot and i'm not just saying that. thankful that our team is very cool.....or i wouldn't be here. and as long as we get our tickets done i can do stuff such as surf jemsite whenever i want. that is cool.

·
Super Moderator
9,713 Posts
Well, it sounds like the management there will stay in place for a while. If they don't do much, get paid, and life goes on, they'll stay there until they get fired.
Sorry about that! Have you thought of using Dameware for remote access, or Carbon Copy?

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
the only thing sort of starting to go in place is SMS. hey, there are still some NT machines here...not many. and we just got off static ip addressing last year! manager...sorry....."manager" barely knows the difference between static and dhcp. i quit a job a couple jobs ago cuz i was called in to work 2 hours early....6am! the manager there was freakin' out over a huge accounting issue! i get there and they can't print to their local printer cuz the parallel cable fell out. the idiot manager was making $110k a year.....kind of depressing....seriously! i make less than half that. i luckily found another job and quit a week later.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts