Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think this just shows how stupid MTV is, as if it wasn't obvious before.

Personally, I'm disappointed in MTV, mainly because I was looking forward to seeing NIN perform. It was my main reason for watching the awards. I may have to skip watching it entirely.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I seriously doubt this bothers MTV or NIN all that much. MTVs core audience doesn't even know who Trent Reznor is. Maybe they remember "Closer" as that song that creepy guy in 11th grade used to listen to when they were in 4th grade. MTVs audience was in diapers the last time Trent was pedaling his product to angsty kids everywhere. MTV will probably fill the spot with a duet featuring Beyonce and the guy with the mohawk from Black Eyed Peas.

Trent, on the other hand, gets to act very rebellious and indignant that MTV wouldn't allow him to make his artistic statement.

·
Registered
115 Posts
jem7vwh said:
I seriously doubt this bothers MTV or NIN all that much. MTVs core audience doesn't even know who Trent Reznor is. Maybe they remember "Closer" as that song that creepy guy in 11th grade used to listen to when they were in 4th grade. MTVs audience was in diapers the last time Trent was pedaling his product to angsty kids everywhere. MTV will probably fill the spot with a duet featuring Beyonce and the guy with the mohawk from Black Eyed Peas.

Trent, on the other hand, gets to act very rebellious and indignant that MTV wouldn't allow him to make his artistic statement.
Well, I suppose that would be worth watching incase the guy with the mohawk accidentally exposes one of Beyonce's breasts..... ;o)

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
They're playing loads of gigs at the moment anyway, and i'm sure seeing them live will be more enjoyable than an MTV awards appearance!

I caught them in London at the end of March(superb Gig) and I'm going to see them again in July:).

·
Registered
883 Posts
No mas! For the love of gawd, could there be at least something, anything, any aspect of life in America that doesn't involve some sort political, partisan slant?! Artists are entitled to their beliefs and I have no problem with their will to express them, but when they plan some sort of crass polititcal "statement" that they know will be rejected so they can make a stink about the rejection itself as an even bigger statement... it's cheap. Integrity doesn't need to be solicited.

That said, NIN is one of my favorite bands (I know it's not hip to like them in guitar-focused music circles, but I don't care) and I'm somewhat diappointed with them for this stunt.

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You all just proved their point. They weren't using the image in a negative way, they were just putting up a simple, plain image of Bush behind them as they played, everyone took it as negative and has a strong opinion of it.

And jem7vwh, get a life. You're attempts to force your personal opinions on the world around you are just getting irritating. You insult everything that you don't personally like, and never have the facts to back it up.

NIN's new album is selling well, even The Fragile, their least commercial album, sold well. The reason their was such a long break between albums is that Trent had alcoholism and other addictions he wanted to clean up before getting back to work.

And he doesn't care about MTV, he's not putting up a fight about this. The only reason he made that post was because he knew MTV would release a statement that didn't explain why NIN pulled out of the awards show, and he wanted the record set straight.

If you knew anything, you'd know Trent's got an awesome sense of humour, and this is part of it. It's not a "statement", it's a joke. The fact that people get so upset about it is the funniest part.

·
Registered
116 Posts
if i'm not mistaken the new album actually sold more copies than the fragile did in its first week which was hard to believe because that was such a masterpiece, but alot of factors could be tied into the mass production. hmm lets see 5 years and it was a highly anticipated album at that i think he's a genious, but MOST of his fans are kids i don't stand for .ugh goths

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Gee, maybe they can replace them with Mr. Cent or possibly Mr. 'Ol Bastard?

I understand the vast majority of "listeners" out there just love these outstanding, professional, TALENTED "musicians"!!!!

Let's all bow to MTV for bringing this culture into our homes and lives!!!!!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
i dont see what kids see in well... one guy is half a dollar and the other guy is old and a bastard so if you do your math right you get an old dirty bastard who's worth 50 cents ? ;)

·
Registered
883 Posts
"but MOST of his fans are kids i don't stand for .ugh goths"

I was actually quite surprised when I went to see NIN and that only a small portion of the crowd was actually "goth" or particularly young (the average was mid 20's age-wise). The biggest irony of course is that you have a percentage of fans that dress like freaks while Trent is onstage wearing cargo pants and a t-shirt. People not familiar with the band see the "Closer" video and a few funny-looking fans and think they have the band pegged, but NIN has "normal" fans and powerful music that's very much not a gimmick.

And, two_hands, I know Trent has a sense of humor, likes controversy, and has dealt with politics before in his music (in subtle but effective ways), but I just think that the bluntness of the Bush picture thing (yes, it's kind of a non-sequitur kind of mockery) is a little unbecoming of NIN's image. NIN has always been to me both deeply personal yet escapist music... but those are just my preconceived notions that don't dictate what should or should not be. I'm just so sick of politics and wish there was something that wasn't delineated over party lines, but that's just my problem.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Two hands31 said:
And jem7vwh, get a life. You're attempts to force your personal opinions on the world around you are just getting irritating. You insult everything that you don't personally like, and never have the facts to back it up.
Guess what? I'm allowed to have an opinion on anything I feel like. This includes your ridiculous fan-boy posts about all things gothy and lame. I never actually made any claims that required facts. Except that the current MTV generation was too young to give a sh|t when NIN last was relevant. "Closer" was played at my senior graduation in 1999. That makes it over 6 years old. So the teeny boppers watching MTV now were between 7 and 12 years old the last time Trent Reznor mattered to anyone.

I never insulted anyone or anything in my post above. I did however make two completely well founded points that you can't seem to argue.

A. MTV doesn't care about NIN that much and they really shouldn't. The fact that it sells well means nothing. It's selling because the world is not running out of 27 year olds who remember their high school years. NIN simply is not MTV's demographic anymore. I'm sure they'll find plenty of other crap to put on their channel instead.

B. Trent will undoubtedly make use of this incident in some article in SPIN or Rolling Stone where he proves again just how edgy and aware he is.

Finally, STOP GETTING MENSTRUAL ABOUT ME HAVING AN OPINION. I don't cry about you sliding off your chair about detuned metal. I respond with my own opinions. Have a little self-esteem and stop crying when people disagree with you.

·
Registered
344 Posts
jemaholic said:
Gee, maybe they can replace them with Mr. Cent or possibly Mr. 'Ol Bastard?

I understand the vast majority of "listeners" out there just love these outstanding, professional, TALENTED "musicians"!!!!

Let's all bow to MTV for bringing this culture into our homes and lives!!!!!!
old dirty bastard died last year.

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
jem7vwh said:
Guess what? I'm allowed to have an opinion on anything I feel like. This includes your ridiculous fan-boy posts about all things gothy and lame. I never actually made any claims that required facts. Except that the current MTV generation was too young to give a sh|t when NIN last was relevant. "Closer" was played at my senior graduation in 1999. That makes it over 6 years old. So the teeny boppers watching MTV now were between 7 and 12 years old the last time Trent Reznor mattered to anyone.

I never insulted anyone or anything in my post above. I did however make two completely well founded points that you can't seem to argue.

A. MTV doesn't care about NIN that much and they really shouldn't. The fact that it sells well means nothing. It's selling because the world is not running out of 27 year olds who remember their high school years. NIN simply is not MTV's demographic anymore. I'm sure they'll find plenty of other crap to put on their channel instead.

B. Trent will undoubtedly make use of this incident in some article in SPIN or Rolling Stone where he proves again just how edgy and aware he is.

Finally, STOP GETTING MENSTRUAL ABOUT ME HAVING AN OPINION. I don't cry about you sliding off your chair about detuned metal. I respond with my own opinions. Have a little self-esteem and stop crying when people disagree with you.
I'll stop when you stop the immature insults. I'm allowed an opinion too. Yours are just attempts at getting attention. I listen to all kinds of music, and most of the stuff I listen to is far from "goth" or "trendy".

And the closer video was 3 albums ago, way to stay on top of things.

Trent doesn't care about MTV, that's why he basically did whatever he wanted and gladly walked away when they refused him his constitutional rights. MTV does care about NIN, since they invited them to play the awards show, and play the new video. And he won't use it in interviews, hell, he'll probably be annoyed when people ask about it and brush it off with something like "It was just some stupid thing on MTVs part and I could care less about it".

I don't give a **** whether it's commercial or popular, and neither does Trent. So why should you?

Oh, and his attempts to stay "edgy" include giving up drugs and alcohol, working on another album already, constantly writing music, and not giving a **** if the albums sell or not.

Figured out why it took 6 years between albums? Try getting your life turned around from near death to the highest level of health and productivity, while battling legal troubles and depression and see if you do better.

I'm not trying to force my opinion on you, I'm just trying to show you that what you're saying makes no sense.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts