Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!
I just recently bought an older FP and i found something very odd: The headstock doesn't have the Ibanez logo.. I does say JEM on the headstock but not Ibanez... Is this normal?
Also how do I date it?

Best regards
Thomas
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok but there is no f on the backplate - and there is no Ibanez logo on the headstock... On the backplate it just says "JEM" and "Made in Japan" and then the serial no. starting with 90...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,373 Posts
ThomasBJ said:
Hi there!
I just recently bought an older FP and i found something very odd: The headstock doesn't have the Ibanez logo.. I does say JEM on the headstock but not Ibanez... Is this normal?
Also how do I date it?

Best regards
Thomas
Hmmm...that is very Odd. It should have the logo....can you post pics??? Maybe it has been modded or something.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,221 Posts
ThomasBJ said:
Ok but there is no f on the backplate - and there is no Ibanez logo on the headstock... On the backplate it just says "JEM" and "Made in Japan" and then the serial no. starting with 90...
Thats a '90, or '91 with '90 plate...

I dont remember the last FP ive seen, but the "Ibanez" longo seemed like painted over the clearcoat... maybe someone just wiped it off to better display the floral pattern in the head...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,008 Posts
somebody probably just took of the ibanez logo. I have a 91 floral as well that just happens to be missing the logo as well. I plan on just buying a new one and clearing back over the headstock to fix it back up to a stock standpoint. The jem plate won't have a F before the serial number so don't worry about it as long as it looks like the one that blue alien posted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
764 Posts
......Sometimes if they are owned by someone with an endorsement for another company they remove the decals (they usually just tape overr them but that can pull the logo off too!!)

..... It is cool to tell yourself it was owned by a great player..... go on ... try to convince yourslf!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,008 Posts
Chris From Singapore. said:
See what you've done to him ;)

Anyways to post pics get on a photo host, I use www.photobucket.com; upload away and just link them.

If I'm not wrong the most accurate way to date a jem is the serial number on the headstock, the heel plates aren't all that accurate.
you are right and wrong. The early jems go off the number on the neck plate and that is how to date them. Newer jems go by the serial number on the headstock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
462 Posts
nightfiend14 said:
you are right and wrong. The early jems go off the number on the neck plate and that is how to date them. Newer jems go by the serial number on the headstock.
What I said was the Best way to date a jem or UV is by the neck serial number. It is a proven fact that heel plate numbers have often been mixed up. I own an FP, and I also checked out a couple of my friend's jems, with old style heel plates.

Some coincide with headstock serial numbers, first 2 digits of course, and some don't.

Furthermore the whole number found on the heel plate per se does not really tell you anything other than it's first 2 digits. No way of tracking your guitar for that matter.

Anyhows I hope you get to post pics soon :)
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top