Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I wasn't sure if this thread was more appropriate here or on another sub forum but here goes.

I just bought a used Ibanez Prestige RG1570(made in 2006) for cheap and for some reason, my pinch harmonic on the 2nd string 17th fret has ZERO sustain, the other frets are fine and the other strings on the 17th fret are fine as well. I have been playing guitar for many years so I doubt it's technique related as I have another guitar that doesn't have any issues.

What is weird is that clear notes have great sustain on this guitar so what could contribute to a killed sustain on a specific note? Could it be a bad wood relation between the body and the neck?

**Note** I have changed the string and it's still the same.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Have you tried moving the pick or your finger/thumb slightly either forward or back?

The reason I ask is because the only time I have seen this is if there was an intonation issue on the string, if it rings clearly and with the same volume as the adjacent strings.

·
Registered
740 Posts
If node of string vibration is over pickup , there is no movement of string for pickup to make sound.

To explain, on stratocaster you cant hear 5th fret harmonic on neck pickup,

so do you hear that harmonic if you switch from 5th (bridge) position to any other on switch?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.