Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just bought a carvin sm162 and I want to do a mini home studio. If I plug the mixer on the computer with the rca out, the computer record only in one track. But my drummer as a 7 drum mics kit and and I would like to know how to record each mic individually to be able to put effects on the drum with a program. thank you

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
Canadian_Vai_fan said:
Hi, I just bought a carvin sm162 and I want to do a mini home studio. If I plug the mixer on the computer with the rca out, the computer record only in one track. But my drummer as a 7 drum mics kit and and I would like to know how to record each mic individually to be able to put effects on the drum with a program. thank you
Go to a recording studio ;)

Once you're trying to record 7 drum mics at once with 7 separate inputs/tracks, you're out of the realm of simple home studio.

If you wanted to plug his mics into a mixer and put effects on each mic and then send a stereo signal to your computer, that's another story.

What you're describing here requires a major investment.

~K

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Actually, it doesn't require that major of an investment... I just finished a recording project where we used 7 drum mics into an SM162 mixer.

You can pull it off if you're willing to spring for a multi-channel sound card for your computer (I used an M-Audio 1010LT) and multi-track recording software (I used Sonar 2.2, but there are cheaper alternatives).

One thought, though, on the "less is more" theory... you may find that you can get some pretty good drum recordings by using less mics, thus requiring less channels. Start with a bass drum mic and 2 overheads, and add other mics only as necessary. You may be surprised how good the results turn out with a little creativity in mic placement.

--B

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Wavelab is mostly a mastering and audio file editing program, not the best choice for getting the audio into the computer in the first place. Look into Mackie Tracktion 2, $150 from MF or GC and comes with a pretty complete set of plug-ins, best of all it's easy to use.

Roger

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.