Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
....Well....
I was pulling the trem on my RG570 today, to inspect the knife edges and everything. When I was putting it back in and used pliers to pull the springs to the holes in the trem block, the pliers slipped off the spring, resulting in me making 2 5cm scratches on the back of the body. A part of me died at that very moment and I feel terrible of myself. I suddenly have the big urge to sell my 350 and save for new gear, well...I wanted to sell that thing anyway...

Anyone felt the same way they scratched/dent/chipped their instrument?

http://s1178.photobucket.com/albums/x369/CedricMichlmayr777/?action=view&current=DSC_0156.jpg

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
My once prestine RG1527, now has a small chip in the back edge, from me hitting it againest the case as I was putting it away..........

It F'n sucks!

·
Registered
839 Posts
I didn´t sleep for a week when I lightly scratched the surface of my glossy black jem 555... but don´t worry, one day you will get used to it. Some people say that they are battle-scares and dings and scratches add some character to the instrument and make it unique. Think of it as it were the beginning of a nice cruel swirling ;-)

·
Registered
407 Posts
After time you'll feel more confident, I mean its already scratched-you don't have to fear anymore on stage or while repairing the guitar "if it gets any damage" :)

All (played) guitars I know a few years old has a mark somewhere around it. I felt really bad when I made a similar mistake, now I don't care-just enjoy playing.

·
Banned
9,291 Posts
StewMac sells a hook tool for attaching the springs. You can also use a dental pick--that was suggested in a thread several months ago.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Happened to me as well, also rg570. Take it like a man...that's what i told myself. You will eventually scratch or dent it. No better time to start.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Unless you just want it to sit in its case, your guitar is going to get scratched.

I read an interview with Vai once where he said whenever he gets a new guitar, or car, he scratches it himself, that way when one happens by accident it's not the first, and no big deal.

My 1990 RG550 is all dinged up, some places you can see the wood... I wish it still looked like new but at the same time I can tell you where and why each scratch came about... gives it character and helps to tell some stories (some really stupid)

All three of my guitars, even the almost brand new 2010 RG1550 have dings, don't worry about it too much.

After a while, you'll look at it and realize it's simply just a part of the life of the guitar... everyone has scars. :)

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I just looked at the picture:

That looks like it may buff out... maybe not to looking new, but enough that you won't even notice it unless you're looking for it.

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
I just looked at the picture:

That looks like it may buff out... maybe not to looking new, but enough that you won't even notice it unless you're looking for it.
I Agree.

I truly feel your pain Freak........This happened when I (stupidly) set my UCGR on the floor next to my near mint RGT3120... before this it only had a couple of pick swirls that needed to be hand buffed out. I watched from about 10 feet away as the UCGR fell over onto the RGT.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I guess theres a few of us around. I have a chip on the edge of my new/used guitar. My $alls hit the floor when I seen it. Ill trade ya your scratch for my chip...

From the looks of it, if its not deep you can probably polish it out.

·
Registered
243 Posts
It's painful...

Saying that every scratch or mark tells a story only makes sense when you have hundreds of instruments like Steve Vai.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
It's painful...

Saying that every scratch or mark tells a story only makes sense when you have hundreds of instruments like Steve Vai.
Actually, if you have hundreds of guitars you'll never remember every scratch, but when you only have three you can remember every single one.
The only guitar I can't tell you where the two dings on it came from is the RG2570 I have, I bought it used and the dings were there already.

Yes, it hurts at first... but after a while it'll simply be a part of the guitar.

The ding I put in my year old RG1550 still glares at me, and it bugs the hell out of me still that it's on the front and you can see the primer... but it's there, I thought about fixing it but realized it'll only happen again so what's the point? In the future it'll have a good number of dings in it anyway so that's the start... dumb how it got there (swung a guitar chord and the plug slammed into it) but this sh!t happens. :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts