Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.. My RG 550 rings like hell when I have it unplugged.. but when I plug it in and use it, no matter what amp, or pedal or anything.. It doesn't have quite enough sustian.. I mean it's close, but I wish it had more.. Should I use a pedal / compressor? I hate the noise they make.. Is there a noise gate compressor combo out that that doesn't kill your tone, yet helps smooth out the sound and doesn't chop off the sustained note? I've got the Duncan Distortion pickup in it now in the bridge, but I'm going to an Air Zone which I've already sent out money to order.. So it will be interesting to see how that helps.. In my experience the Dimarzio pups don't seem to have as much magnet pull or something, yet can still be wound hot.. I am even thinking of getting another pick guard with less pickups so that it doesn't have so much magnet pulling on the strings..

I love using the trem as this is the first edge I've had, and I had to order the arm assebmly, etc, from Rich (Thanks Rich, it worked perfectly) and man it is so nice to use a smooth trem that I don't want to get rid of it, but I thought maybe I'd block it so it would dive only.. think that would help with sustain?

Also, is it possible to mount pickups directly to the body even though I'm using a pick guard? Anyone ever done it? It seems to me you'd have to widen the pickguard holes to do so, and then just screw the pickups into the body.. I'm convinced on other guitars that I've done this with, it works! Everthing should touch as EVH said once!

Thanks guys.. You guys rock!
Tim

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
basswood offers plenty of sustain - it's no more alive or dead than any other body material. The individual cut of wood and the overall construction of the guitar has a much bigger role in sustain than the body wood does (which has a large impact on timbre, but not actual sustain).

I'd start by backing off your pickups from the strings a bit, to see if that helps, although it sounds like you've got plenty of sustain unplugged, right? So maybe that's not the problem...

either way, a floating bridge will definitely cost you some sustain, but I think it's more than worth it. :)

-D

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Sustain in my opinion is an honest combination of 5 things. Matching the right gauge of string to your guitars setup, the proper amp for the guitars pickups tweaked the right way ( I think less treble more bass no mids usually does it for me). 3rd the specific amount of gain applied to your tone will help immensely. 4th it will help if youve got a guitar made from extra quality wood, but it is in no means a crucial step and I dare anyone to honestly prove me otherwise. 5th its all in your hands if your not getting the right amount of sustain no one is to blame more than the guy playing the guitar

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.