Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really not impressed with this set of Ernie Ball Super Slinky .42-.09. I wish I could of written a review, however things seemed to have changed here, I used to be able to write one.

The Ibanez reseller in Ausrtalia sold me these too, recommended by them.

I used to be a D'Addario fanboy, and now I will move back to them after this. Until these Ernie Ball Slinky's, I have never ever had a set of strings where the top E snaps within in a 4 week period, after 25 years with any D'Addarios (Pro Steels or Nickel Wound).

These Ernie Ball Slinkies had a nice tone for the first two weeks, then they rusted after a week where I was busy with work. I live near the coast so the air is salty, and i sweat when i play. The D'Adarios lasted a mile, I changed them for lack of tone after 6 months, not breaking first 4 weeks!

This is insane!

Worst thing was I bought a bulk back, so I have them on all guitars, and am finding the same thing... spewing.... (so it isn;'t just an electical fault which encouarged oxidation)

I wish I could write a review like I used to be able to do in the past... However here it is........ I just write my experience, not motives...

Similaryly I have tried many guitar cords so in the past, I wrote a bad reivew from my experience based on a fender guitar cord... I just rather people and manufactures know, so things get better... (now I just make my own, I sick of factory crap, just by 50m cable from gotham audio germany or whatever, and nice G&H plugs, I sick of buying crap that doesn't last)...

If anyone can recommend a better set of strings than D'Addario Pro Steels for both nice bright tone, and months of reliability, please let me know!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
d'addario pro steels have a tone that lasts, at least you change them for a new bright tone after 6 months. These Ernie Ball Slinky's just rust and break within 4 weeks of intense playing. I have never seen such a bad set of strings. I was really looking forward to them too.

To their credit they did sound great for 2 weeks :)

·
Banned
983 Posts
Had the slinkies as well. Cannot say I had any troubles. Any high E will break in any guitar after some tweaking with the tuners/saddles.
Maybe you got a bad batch?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In all honesty too I noticed a little more fret waring down using the prosteels, curious if anyone else finds this, or maybe i just used them last 5 years and grind certain frets..

I found i had to move to the ProSteels to have strings that last, in all honesty too I am not up to date with these new gen of coated string either..

I had and axe to grind, as had many beers and annoyed these Ernie Balls rusted then snapped within 4 weeks, I just haven't seen this before as have been a D'Addario fanboy...

I too old school to know about thsoe coated strings, are they any good, or a tone sucker?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
d;addarios last me forever until i change them... people complain of lack of tone.... in comparison, those slinkys have rusted after 4 weeks, and snapped next beat it solo i played lol.... so nobody can complain about slinky tone, as those strings rust and snap before they go dull in tone lol

I rather the latter of the two evils myself

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes spewing as i found same on all guitars, after buying a bulk back, all rusted, even the ones I yet to play, funnily enough

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
didn't mean to grind the axe here, just spewing.... and wanted to let other people know, as I googled "Ernie Ball Super Slinky" and only saw glowing reports about the tone (which is true as tone is great first 2 weeks, but there was ZERO about them rusting and snapping in 4 weeks)..........

so yeah, i might go back to d'addario prosteels unless other's recommend anything else that has nice tone, and longevity :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
welll yeah i only here as i did have an axe to grind.. these strings failed me at crucial point, as they snapped in middle of solo (just push forward tremo, not pull back even)....

I have had lots of beers, i just wanted to leave a review reallly.......

But whilst we are here, i would love to know if you guys know of a better string that d'addario pro steels for endurance and tone?

·
Premium Member
9,592 Posts
Never understood the love for Slinkys. Used to sell a ton of them when I worked at a guitar shop, but I never liked the feel of them, even on a blind test. Been a solid D'Addario guy for over 25 years. Tried GHS a few times and was indifferent to them, though if I remember they seemed to not last long

·
Registered
643 Posts
I used Super Slinky (the pink ones?) for a couple of years. Nice tone but would 'die' quickly and always need to be replaced or broken E strung. I went to DM Blue Steel and been using them for 30 years. I try to play an hour a night and these things are still good after 3 months.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've been using the Ernie Ball Super Slinkies for the past 20 years or so and have not had a bad experience with them like you described. They very rarely snap on me (tho I do play mostly on hardtail bridges). With regular play I find they last a good 3-4 months before they rust and/or lose their tone. I've used the other brands throughout the years and they have been all fine strings too. I find myself going for the super slinkies most often. I just like their tone and feel the best and stick with what works for me.

Sucks you had a bad experience with the Ernie Balls but they're not for everyone. You seem to like the d'addario's a good bit & they seem to work well for you. If it ain't broke don't fix it, might as well stick with with those.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
I tend not to like daddarios too much but honestly they are pretty much all the same to me. i like DRs alright but ernie balls are cheap so that is what i use.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I've used super slinkys forever and never have any problems with them. I did try some of the new Colbolts strings on a new guitar I built earlier this year and when I got the guitar home, I plugged it into the amp and hit the high E and snap.... Lasted on note. Replaced that string with a SS and no probs...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow guys thanks for your time and opinions!

It was nice and balanced, the replies. Glad to hear that some people love their Super Slinkies!

I loved the tone, if I was gigging and going through a set every 2 weeks anyway I would really consider these... atm stuck in another job, and after longevity I guess...

So yeah nice balanced debate, I love it...

I loved the opinions of those who have had good experiences.

Too be honest I had a few too many beers last night, and was quite annoyed at the time... After snapping one guitar string, i went to pick up the next, and similar rusting, kinda scared to open up the others in cases now, as did them all at once... However I do live near the ocean air, so it is a big factor too...

I guess if you are gigging heaps this would be an awesome choice for the tone...

If i ran a guitar shop too, I would be buying something where you don't have to employ someone to change strings on electrics... Cheers for the advice from your end too Elcid.

I might try those DR Blue Steel cheers finstah if price is ok.

And yeah as you say madasahatter, might be best to stick to what i know too!

I appreciated all replies thanks guys... cheers for your time :)

I might get some d'addario prosteels for bright tone and long lasting string...

however I did some research today and found these too:
http://www.ernieball.com/products/e...33/coated-electric-titanium-rps-hybrid-slinky

Has anybody tried those?

I wish i could change my topic title to 'another string debate lol', but cheers for your time guys, much appreciated :)
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/member.php?u=13581

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
I too am a die hard D'Addario fan. I tried EB Slinkies and I thought they were just too bright and a little too, well... slinky. They seem to give a little too much under my fingers even comparing equal gauges. I had a guitar tech put on a set of slinkies recently and I couldn't deal and cut them off quick. To each their own.
Back in the day I would occasionally switch off to the Dean Markley standard lite gauge strings, with that old time yellow package. I guess the current version is the 2502 Signature Series strings? I'm not sure. It's been a while since I switched off. They were nice though. A little brighter than D'Addarios but not too much brighter and feel right under the fingertips.
I used to be an 09 player for a while but I've been putting D'Addario 10's on the fixed bridge guitars and loving life.
Also way back when I didn't know much and had no internet I used to pop D strings all the time. I figured it was because it was the string that got the most play on it but I realized later it was probably a bad saddle on the trem. But if you're popping E's on a lot of guitars that's probably not the case.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Wow guys thanks for your time and opinions!

It was nice and balanced, the replies. Glad to hear that some people love their Super Slinkies!

I loved the tone, if I was gigging and going through a set every 2 weeks anyway I would really consider these... atm stuck in another job, and after longevity I guess...

So yeah nice balanced debate, I love it...

I loved the opinions of those who have had good experiences.

Too be honest I had a few too many beers last night, and was quite annoyed at the time... After snapping one guitar string, i went to pick up the next, and similar rusting, kinda scared to open up the others in cases now, as did them all at once... However I do live near the ocean air, so it is a big factor too...

I guess if you are gigging heaps this would be an awesome choice for the tone...

If i ran a guitar shop too, I would be buying something where you don't have to employ someone to change strings on electrics... Cheers for the advice from your end too Elcid.

I might try those DR Blue Steel cheers finstah if price is ok.

And yeah as you say madasahatter, might be best to stick to what i know too!

I appreciated all replies thanks guys... cheers for your time :)

I might get some d'addario prosteels for bright tone and long lasting string...

however I did some research today and found these too:
http://www.ernieball.com/products/e...33/coated-electric-titanium-rps-hybrid-slinky

Has anybody tried those?

I wish i could change my topic title to 'another string debate lol', but cheers for your time guys, much appreciated :)
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/member.php?u=13581
np man. I usually buy 10 or 20 sets at a time to save. Check around for deals.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey I own a Musicman JP so you could call me a fanboy BUT I stopped using Slinky's years ago as I found the same as the OP. They were good for a short while. Lost their tone, shine etc real fast and broke a ton of high E's. I found the Nanoweb Elixr were a big improvement and lately the Cleartone Treated strings which don't do any "flaking" that Elixr did and left "ick" on my guitar between the pickups. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts